Greater Daemon Instability Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greater Daemon Instability Question

All right, I searched for this and couldn't find an answer.

The Daemonhunters codex refers to a special Instability test that a Great Daemon must take every turn. Does this always apply or only when the daemonvessel is killed before the possession takes place?

"HQ, my LOS is blocked by a soda bottle. I'm moving to unmask my guns."
    "Negative! The soda bottle is the Carnifex!"
    "Dang proxy models!"
    -Cmdr. Kren, www.tsoalr.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greater Daemons take instability tests every turn they are out on the battlfield after the Daemon Vessel truns into a greater daemon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

No... they only take instability tests if the Daemonvessel is killed before the Greater Daemon emerges. The statement about instability tests says they take them when the greater daemon possesses the flesh of a dead space marine... can't give you a page reference right now (let a friend borrow my codex).

This is probably the instability test the Daemonhunter's codex refers to, unless they have some nasty power that forces Greater Daemons to make instability tests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

As said, instability tests for GD occur only when the daemon vessel is killed before the daemon takes possession of his body. If he comes out ok before that then he takes no instability tests like that.
    Current Armies:
    Beasts of Chaos (4000)
    Chaos Marines (3000)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

p. 12 (Chaos Codex)

...so at the end of each Chaos turn that the Greater Daemon has started on the battlefield after possessing a dead host, roll a special Instability test for the Daemon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, guys. I was looking for a few reasons to use my Vindicare Assassin, and if he gives GDs a hard time like that, he's probably worth taking in a few games.
    "HQ, my LOS is blocked by a soda bottle. I'm moving to unmask my guns."
    "Negative! The soda bottle is the Carnifex!"
    "Dang proxy models!"
    -Cmdr. Kren, www.tsoalr.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Solexus
    Thanks, guys. I was looking for a few reasons to use my Vindicare Assassin, and if he gives GDs a hard time like that, he's probably worth taking in a few games.
    Yes, that is one of the worst things about playing against Daemonhunters. The fact that they can snipe the Daemonhost before summoning is a major pain.

There is a caveat you should be aware of, though. The Chaos player is under no requirement to tell you which Champion is his Daemonhost until the Greater Daemon arrives. I've known people who model Chains on every single champion just to keep you guessing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    The Chaos player is under no requirement to tell you which Champion is his Daemonhost until the Greater Daemon arrives. I've known people who model Chains on every single champion just to keep you guessing.
    About this, other than self honesty how would you be able to know if they left it to the last living aspiring champion to be the deamon vessel. And how is this supervised in tournaments?
    "There are three kind's of people in this world:
    -Those that can count. - And those that cant"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Error
    About this, other than self honesty how would you be able to know if they left it to the last living aspiring champion to be the deamon vessel. And how is this supervised in tournaments?
    Get them to write it on their army list (without you where the GD is, of course) if you think they might cheat. Most of the time it's the champion upgraded with very little outside daemonic chains...so if he pops out of a guy with a power fist, raise an eyebrow.

One the Daemon arrives, he can show you the piece of paper to confirm his host.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

This is a Greater Daemon related question -

The description for Daemonic Chains states (at least in my first printing codex) that Daemonic Chains can only be given to the AC who is to be the Daemonvessel. This should mean, then, that only one AC in an army should be able to get daemonic chains, right? (in other words, you can't give every body chains)

Also, when I occassionally use greater daemons, I place them in the most bizarre places... havoc squad champions, ridiculously expensive close combat AC's... everywhere... and usually a different guy.. so if I play the same person twice, they'll have no idea where the greater daemon is...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast