Help from the best - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help from the best

Hey, I'm a pure grey knight player, and i was just looking for some strategy to use against my friend. He plays a 1k sons army and the list is as follows:

HQ
    Lord of Change -
     Bolt of Change -
     Wind of Chaos -
     Total - 180

Archaon (he is using the Warhammer Archaon model as his Daemon Prince) -
     Mark of Tzeench -
     Personal Icon -
     Disc of Trench -
     Warp Blade/Dark Blade -
     Bolt of Change -
     Daemonic Resilience -
     Total - 175

Elites
    3 Obliterators -
     Mark -
    Total - 240

Troops
    3x 9 Thousand Sons -
     One in each is an Aspiring Champion w/ Bolt of Change -
     One in each has Undivided Icon -
     Total - 589

2x Demon Pack -
     7 Horrors -
     2 Flamer -
     Total - 296

Fast Attack
    2x
     5 Screamers -
     Total - 150

Heavy Support
    1 Dreadnought -
     Dedication -
     1 Lascannon -
     1 (krak) Missile Launcher -
     Total - 145

1 Chaos Defiler -
     Dedication -
     Twin-Linked Lascannon -
     Havoc Launcher -
     Ordinance Cannon -
     Total - 225

Total Army - 2000
    (ignore the question marks before everything)

Any suggestions? i run this list:

PURITAN DH ARMY
    HQ
    Grand Master-
    Psycannon-
    Icon of the Just-
    Teleport Homer-
    Psychic power-
    Total- 220
    Retinue-
    5 Terminators –
    Psycannon-
    Total- 255
    ELITE

2x
    Terminators (4 & 1 brother captain)-
    2x Psycannons-
    TOTAL- 590

TROOPS

2x
    Grey Knights (5 & 1 justicar)-
    1 psycannon-

TOTAL- 500

FAST ATTACK

DS Grey Knights (6& 1 justicar)-
    Melta Bombs-
    TOTAL- 175

HEAVY SUPPORT
    2x
    Dreadnaught-
    Twin-linked lascannon-
    Missile launcher-
    Total- 280
    TOTAL-------- 2000

My normal plan is Have my elites and FA DS in and the rest of my army take cover as they march up, while my dreads take out all of the heavy stuff. any suggestions? P.S. im probably playing smaller games against him, so the dreads wont be in use. i hope the fast attack will aswell, but i havent purchased them yet. (still constructing the army).

thanks

=][=

GM HALLS

Daemons shall crumble before my might!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I have no comments on your list, as I'm not that familiar with your codex. But tell your friend that Obliterators cannot have marks and hence cannot be used in a pure Sons army. they can however be used in conjunction with the Sons in a Black legion army, much like your friend has. But then he'll not benefit from the sacred number thing.

In your list I would (or really not) like to see some Psychic hoods. They are the bane of the Sons I assure you. Any other anti-psycher things you can come up with is also good.

The Greater Daemon may only have one major power, not two like he is having now. he can however buy MINOR powers, but I don't think he wants that...

If his champs has no Power fists just get your Dreads in close combat ( keep the Dread CCW) with them, they'll be locked forever in a battle they cannot win.

What you really should do is to scrape points of your very expensive units and invest in more troops. That's always good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

psychic hoods: Not necessary! yay for 'The Aegis'!!!!
    Psychic powers: I thought that the lord of change comes with Bolt of change, then you can buy another?
    Obliterators: Ha! he's gonna kick himself for a loooonnngggg time.

thanks for the help, but i was looking more for strategy, not army list help.

thanks anyways
    =][=

GM HALLS

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

You just get close and rip him in hand to hand. Shoot his HQ and Heavies first. Then just have your Terminators assault him and use your Power armoured guys deal with the Daemons.

And on the Greater Daemon, they come with one Major power each (not the Bloodthirster of course) and then they can buy minor ones. To have more then one power you'd need a familiar and GD's cannot have them.

I still think the Psychic Hood is a good investment as it gives you a cheap way of nullifying his spells, but it's you who are facing them S8 AP2 shots, so it's your call

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

I'll stick to your army for now... why are you not bringing a lance battery that could potentially instant kill thousand sons? Considering the slowness of his army i would want to bring the ap1 str 10? battery every time, make him move toward you. That way your nullifying the 2 wounds on thousand sons.

I also find it amusing that his thousand sons are taking a Icon of Undivided... i don't think he can do this. Oh and make sure he's taking instability checks, because the small size of the screamers should really play to your advantage if you can kill 1.

You also don't need melta bombs at all since your psycannons can easily deal with his defiler and his dreadnaught.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Pwned by Phobos. LictorInTheGrass's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -27 (x0)

GK are fun man but they cost to much and with out back from IG, they lack in alot in numbers and shooty armies can rock them if they know how. I take two Defilers against them and they get annihilated.

MY POINT, get some doctrined IG.
    Last edited by Caluin; December 30th, 2005 at 16:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the best tactics you can have is to become familiar with your opponents codex - My buddy and I play each other once or twice (depending on points and luck o' the die) a weekend. In the past 6-8 matches we've become quite familiar with each other's strengths, weaknesses, and points costs. For example - He only needed to wipe out my Chosen squads twice with his Lascannons before i went out and got some lascannons and havocs for my Black Legion. Like anything else - tactics and game play get easier with expereince.

My other suggestion would be to keep an eye on his turn sequences - see if he has a pattern to his playing and come up with a way to make his play style your advantage.

Good luck!
    fRESH lives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Make use of scenery... they can't shoot what they can't see. So try lure them into a trap... they are very slow in cc so jut make sure you can wind them down like that.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Another thing, a warp blade is a deamon weapon. A dark blade is a daemon weapon. So I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "Warp Blade/Dark Blade" but armies are only allowed one daemon weapon each.

I think your army has a very good chance of taking his out. You just have to be careful about what you do.

Personally, I'd keep the terminators in reserves, pile your troops into a piece of cover as close to your table edge as you can, use your dreads to take down his defiler (which thankfully doesn't have indirect fire.... has a lot of useless junk on it though) and his dreadnought. As for the Obliterators, well, I am not even sure he should be using them (as they're incompatible with a pure Thousand Sons).

Then, use your psycannons and other long range weapons to whittle him down as he trudges his slow, slow army across the table. Once the terminators/ds marines come in, hurl them into combat with his basic squads.

It's tricky to beat a Tzeentch army like this, but I think with a little luck and some good planning, you should give him a run for his money...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks mouse, its that kind of help i need.

lictor, thanks for all the help.

EDIT: umm... he does have indirect fire... thats what the ordnance cannon is... haha
    Last edited by Caluin; December 30th, 2005 at 16:28.
    =][=

GM HALLS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast