Assembling Death Guard army... advice?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assembling Death Guard army... advice??

This will be my first army and was just wondering if you guys, having experience, had any advice for a pure plague marine army?

As of now I've got a pretty good idea of what I can and can't have in this army, and also have a pretty good idea what it's going to consist of. It will probably start off something like this:

6 plague marines troops 1 champion
    with 1 flamer 1 melta gun and 5 bolters
    nurglings on model bases

6 plague marines troops 1 champion
    with 1 plasma gun 1 melta gun and 5 bolters
    nurglings on model bases

4 chosen terminators 1 terminator champion lead by typhus (carrying manreaper)
    2 reaper autocannons 1 heavy flamer 1 plasma cannon(is that possible?) 1 heavy bolter + plague sword
    most likely will be sorcerers amongst other upgrades I haven't decided yet

4 havocs 1 havoc champ
    (not sure on weapons just yet)

1 defiler
    1 or 2 dreadnaughts
    1 land raider

Will also probably want a death guard banner or 2 in there somewhere

ANY ADVICE?? anything at all would be greatly appreciated, thnx

Last edited by HeXsim; January 14th, 2006 at 00:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you need more regular marines, especially berfore you bulk up so heavily on the vehicles. The great strength of the death guard lies in the overall 'ardness of the regular marines. Several infiltrating squads of marines make big problems for many armies.

You cannot have so many heavy weapons in a terminator squad at that size. Only so many can have heavy weapons. I don't have the codex handy, but it states it under the chosen entry.

I also don't see the point in getting a land raider. I assume you plan to use it with the terminators, but it also seems that you want to utilize the termies as a heavy fire unit. But if they are stuffed up in the raider, their reaper autocannons are useless. Only get one if you plan on devoting the terminators solely to combat.

Why are you stating that you will have nurglings on the model bases? Are you saying that your ACs will have nurgling infrestations? Or is if for aesthetic purposes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Ok just re-read the book of Nurgle a couple of times, I've read it over a hundred times and thats the best way to get to know your army.

For a start Nurgle Havocs are pointless because any unit with mark of nurgle can't take heavy weapons except terminators can have reaper autocannons. Drop the havocs.

You are also limited to 3 heavy support units but you have 5 of them in this army.

Typhus as your HQ, ok thats not bad, it's often more fun to make up your own lord though.

as the Death Guard you always want the enemy to be running at you, not the other way around, so you have to make your army as shooty as possible so that they have to try and assault you. Since the Death Guard have all those advantages around the bolter try and get as many of them as you can.

Next drop the Land Raider you just don't need it. Swap it for a cheaper Predator and beef it up with Lascannons.

You will only ever need 1 dreadnought OR 1 defiler, I personally like the defiler because it's big blast can scare enemy's into coming at you.

The terminator squad looks good aside from having to many heavy weapons, remember only 1 can become a sorceror. give them all powerfists.

Ok you should have almost 500 points to spare with all that dropping units so put all of this into more plague marines and maybe a few nurglings.

Last but not least every single person that has access to the armoury should take nurgles rot. It does'nt look so good on it's own but when your opponents entire army is getting hit by about ten of them...
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've taken all the answers I got from my questions, and most of the advice into consideration and came up with this revised ideal death guard army list, but I'm sure it can still use some work:

I already bought and started these off:

4 havocs armed with 2 plasma guns, 1 melta gun, 1 flamer and blight grenades(grenades not added yet)
    1 aspiring havoc champ armed with bolter and plague sword, veteran skill: tank hunter

Next I'll work on getting these:

6 plague marines troops each armed with bolters and a close combat weapon
    1 aspiring champ with bolter and plague sword, minor psyker skill

6 plague marines troops each armed with bolters and a close combat weapon
    1 aspiring champ with bolter and plague sword, minor psyker skill

6 nurgle plaguebearers armed with standard close combat weapons(I assume these need to be summoned? do i NEED a personal icon to summon or is that just for easy summoning?)

6 nurgle plaguebearers armed with standard close combat weapons

HQ: 4 chosen terminator w/ champ lead by typhus (carrying manreaper)
    armed with 1 reaper autocannon, heavy flamer, melta/bolter, 2 heavy bolters(if all that can be done)
    close combat:2 power fist, 2 master-crafted wpns, 1 plague sword
    1 sorcerer with wind of chaos amongst other skills I haven't decided on yet

1 defiler possibley with the melta option and living vehichle, possibley more upgrades
    1 predator with lascannons and plague barrier ability, most likely more upgrades
    1 dreadnaught (maybe)

do terminators count as one of the 3 heavy unit/vehichles i can have? if not i'll probably use a dreadnaught

I'd also like to add 1 or 2 plague banners in there but I'm not sure where..maybe in one of the 2 plaguemarine troop units

any more advice would be greatly appreciated thnx again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

ok Nurgles lucky number is seven so those plague bearer squads should be 7 not 6. Replace 1 plague bearer squad for another plague marine squad.

Now you're terminators are even more strange, you're trying to pack five heavy weapons onto four guys?:blink: You can have 1 for every 3 guys in the squad so in a squad of four you can only take 1 special weapon.

No, terminators take up an elite section not a heavy support.
    Since your Death Guard all you're squads have mark of nurgle and a basic icon for free so summoning isn't a problem.

Now your champions, powerfist is usually better then plague sword. champs can't be sorcerers. You chosen sorcerer has to become a champion chosen before he can be a sorceror. Swap those minor powers for nurgles rot.

If you're intent on using your dreadnought i'd say make it hellfire and give it the missile launcher upgrade.

Remember a Death Guards strengths come from it's T5 bolter death.

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He listed 6 Plague Marines AND 1 AC.
    Please read the rules regarding what is permissable in signatures

^Left there as my self-inflicted punishment.
    LO is the first forum I joined and it introduced me to the world of internet forums. Thanks, guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

A few observations, though I don't play death guard so take what I say with a word of salt:

You can't turn standard Aspiring champions into psykers, only 1 in a squad of chosen.
    You seem to loosing progress with the last list, specal weapons are your friend. Try taking 2 of the same specal per squad, plasma for Marine Equivilant killing, melta for tanks ect.
    For your question on icons: a personal lets a independant character summon, but any squad with a mark (everything has the mark of nurgle in a death guard army) can take an icon for free. Because of this most people assume they're taken when writing up an army list.
    Lasty, death guard havocs are not to be underestimated, specal weapons loaded up in a squad are also very effective. Try giving havocs with infiltration 4 plasma guns, and watch them tear up marines left and right. And when they're charged you have true grit and extra toughness to make you a tougher target to take out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

228 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LordMortis
    He listed 6 Plague Marines AND 1 AC.
    I meant the demons plaguebearers not the marines.

instead of plasma guns havocs in a rhino with 4 flamers could be nasty, never done it myself though.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll have to excuse me and my ideas. This is not just my first death guard army, this is my first army all together. I've read a good percentage of the rulebooks and several codex but I don't know the rules as good as most of you, nor do I have the experience. So I ask that you just bear with me
    as my ideas may be against the rules or seem pointless.

As of now my idea is to start with infantry, then move to vehichles. Most likely the next 1 or 2 things I will buy is a pack of 6 normal plaguemarine troops + 1 champ. I see where having 3 troop units may be an advantage as well (rather than 2 troop units and 2 plague bearer units) I'm going to keep my havocs in because I may find situations where they're useful. Also I'm a big fan of melta guns ;P cus they usually almost garuntee a kill or a tank penetration.

As far as my troop units though do you guy think I should utilize the 1/3 models can have heavy weapon rule? Keep in mind I can't use missle launchers, lascannons, autocannons and (can't remember the 4th thing) Honestly it would appear that troops best bet is to go full bolter/combat weapon, since true grit only works with bolters, meaning bolter in one hand, close combat in the other. If you think this isn't the best idea, anyone have a good example of what my troops should use?

My terminators will probably still have the 1 reaper autocannon. But for the rest I'm still unsure. Could I maybe do 2 plasma guns with 2 close combat weapons(powerfist most likely) then do 2 bolters 1 with master-crafted weapon or powerfist, then the other with plague sword? Does this seem reasonable? Then maybe make my chosen champ have nurgle's rot.

I'm sure ya'll are sick of my endless questions by now ;P But for those of you who aren't could any of you maybe list your death guard armies for me? (if you have one) or maybe list a suggestion army? Honestly this is so much to remember for someone who pretty much just started but I'm tryin :yes: THNX MUCH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one pure bolter squad with the counter attack skill and two units with infiltrate and plasma/meltas could work. Also I don't think chaos termies can wield plasma guns or bolters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast