Combat Drugs? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combat Drugs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Combat Drugs?

I noticed alot of Slaanesh players use combat drugs. But, I don't understand why they are that good. From what I see, the two most valuable to take are S and A, but the first wound ignored is also good. Move through cover, who really cares, and WS is not that important, so why not just spend the 25 points and get strength and mutation, and you always have that and you don't get hurt.

If you use drugs and only take one a turn you are not getting your points worth, but if you use 2 a turn you have a 1 in 6 chance of taken a precious wound, and taking 3 is ludicrous as you can die outright and have a greatly increased chance of getting a wound.

So what's the deal. I haven't used them in a game, maybe I am missing something.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

I've learned the hard way that taking 2 or 3 is dangerous business.

Actually, adding to WS is one of my favorites. One more point of WS makes it one easier to hit your opponent.

Combat Drugs give you an edge. Whatever edge you need, it's there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

the move through cover thing is still okay as it can help you while your not in close combat. mutation and strength are only useful in a direct fight whereas combat drugs can help you in other areas. So you can use dugs help before a fight and then swap to strength and attacks. As you said ignoring wounds is pretty good too, it is by no means useless compared to strength. Also a lot of these people already use strength and mutation and use combat drugs to add upon that.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

How about you get strength and mutation and combat drugs?

And actually if your lord has Daemonic Stature the WS upgrade from CD's then its got WS 7, which means he'll be hit on 5's from WS 3 models.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Dancing Peanuts? You bet! Robizzle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x4)

The best I've found is Daemonic strength, daemonic stature, furious charge, dark blade and combat drugs. makes him strength 10 on the charge.

But yeah, giving someone strength and combat drugs is a great way to get a few extra bonus points. If you're strength 7, and need to instant kill a SM commander or something like that, then it's a great way to get an extra points, and completely safe. (only 1 drug)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

I love when my friend use combat drugs on his HQ. It adds a little bit of gamble to the army
    I remember when I played a 1000pts game against him and I totally slaughtered him. He didn't take a single VP from me and in the last round when only his Lieteunant was left he pumped him full with three drugs! Thinking 'Now these little Bolter Babes shall taste the true power of Slaanesh' he rolls the dice and gets three 4s! 1 dead HQ for me and a total of 1000 - 0 VPs to my benefit :w00t:
    Last edited by Caluin; January 23rd, 2006 at 19:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by northoceanbeach
    I noticed alot of Slaanesh players use combat drugs. But, I don't understand why they are that good. From what I see, the two most valuable to take are S and A, but the first wound ignored is also good. Move through cover, who really cares, and WS is not that important, so why not just spend the 25 points and get strength and mutation, and you always have that and you don't get hurt.
    What you really get from drugs is the ability to chose on the fly. Based on what models your lord is fighting in any given assault fase you can take the drug that works best. Sure, some of them are taken more often than others, but in some cases all can be useful. When having plus 1 to your WS will make you hit on 3+ instead of 4+ it can be a far bigger bonus than one extra attack. So, in my opinion what you get for those 25 points is a very flexible lord.

How about being able to add one to your strength so you can instakill that DE character? There is so many situations when drugs can be useful. Especially in tournaments where you cannot tailor your army to fit every single opponent. Having a CC monster that can adapt to nearly any situation is a big bonus. Easily worth 25 points if you ask me. Sure, overdosing is a potential risk, but it really happens so rarely that it is not a big deal.

If you use drugs and only take one a turn you are not getting your points worth, but if you use 2 a turn you have a 1 in 6 chance of taken a precious wound, and taking 3 is ludicrous as you can die outright and have a greatly increased chance of getting a wound.
    It depends on what you are figthing. I often just take "ignore first wound" when fighting standard troops. My lords i lethal enough as it is, and this drug makes him nearly invulnerable to standard troops. At no risk.

So what's the deal. I haven't used them in a game, maybe I am missing something
    Yes and no. In a way it is a matter of taste. Can you stomach the risk of killing your own HQ, or would you rather spend the 25 points on some gifts that are useful and has no risk?

Arizzar
    If the radiance of a thousand suns
    Were to burst at once into the sky,
    That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus this is Slannesh we are talking about. drugs are his thing.
    the key word is
    flexibility.
    just give him the drug or drugs most appropriate to the situation. be if moving
    to get to battle, in a fight with standard troops or going toe to toe with the oppos
    HQ, you can adapt to the situation, flexibility.
    Sure is looks expensive but I'm sure it will quickly make up for itself on the battle field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but there is something i dont get? isnt it possible to take +1 strength 3 times:wacko: because the games workshop player always does that here in my local 1. so i always thought u could take like +3 strength or +3 attacks or 1 of everyone(to a limit of three)
    because nowhere it says in the codex u can't take a certain power twice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by hive fleet Drichen
    but there is something i dont get? isnt it possible to take +1 strength 3 times:wacko: because the games workshop player always does that here in my local 1. so i always thought u could take like +3 strength or +3 attacks or 1 of everyone(to a limit of three)
    because nowhere it says in the codex u can't take a certain power twice
    Check page 17 of the Chaos Codex, left hand column, heading "Daemonic Gifts," first paragraph, last sentence. While yes, technically you can buy Daemonic Strength up to 10 times, you'd only ever recieve +1 strength total.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast