Daemon prince or bloodthirster?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daemon prince or bloodthirster??

I would like to buy either the new daemon prince model or get the bloodthirster. I like both models about the same so it comes down to how they do on the table. I did up a list for the daemon prince and jacked him up pretty good about the same points cost as the bloodthirster. Now most of my experiance with greater daemons comes from fighting against them in 2nd edition rules and they could dominate. It kind of looks to me like they are watered down a bit in the new rules (if the rules in codex chaos are the most recent??). So if you wanted to field something that would go head to head with a necron c'tan and win what would you go with?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you tell us what your DP has that would help.

The issue of DP v. a Greator Demon depends on what you want to use them for.

Do you face someone who uses C'tan, other greater demons, or Avatars regularly? If so I would probably use the bloodthirster. I would infiltrate a squad with a possessed AC to summon him.

If you face someone who uses a bunch of models with only one or two tooled up characters I would use the DP (depending on what you gave him). DPs can be very versitile, equiped to massacre whole squads or go character hunting.

Hope this helps.
    "You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way." - Will Roger
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

In most cases a daemon prince is better than a greater daemon. Pick any greater daemon, and I can make you a lord thats cheaper and more effective. For example, You could meake a khorne lord with stature, feel no pain, furious charge, dem. strength, dem toughness, dem essence, dem armour, MoK, a berzerker glaive, and spikey bits. This has less strength than a bloodthirster, but gets more attacks, the same amount of wounds, can only be wounded on a 6 by most opponents, has better armour, much much better initiative, and has the equivalent of 2 4+ invulnerable saves. The only weakness is that he can be insta-killed by S10 weapons. Other than that he's a cheaper, more effective killing machine.
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Hmm I'm going to assume you mean a statured daemon prince?

They're both pretty good & won't let you down, but, I say go for the Daemon prince for the following reasons:

1) Daemon prince can be tooled a variety of ways. This is handy both to adapt to the size of conflict (point's thrown into the battle.) But also to reflect your own personal style as a player. Bloodthirster is always the same.

2) Daemon princes don't kill one of your models comming into the battlefield. Aspiring champions are the only models that can safely have powerfists, and represent a powerful force in CC. While getting a greater daemon is worth the sacrifice realise that this is part of the cost of getting him.

3) Inititive 5, being able to strike before marines& their likes can be priceless, this can be pushed to 6 on the charge with furious charge veteren skill, and be able to go before most commanders too.

4) A good daemon prince is usually going to be less points, this frees points for more troops. . .hmm makes me wonder are you doing black legion or world eaters, or perhaps word bearers? This does make a difference.

A few reasons to go with the bloodthirster
    1) Toughness 6 means that he can't be instakilled.
    2) They are a form of psychological warfare, I swear.

Really the're both good, I reccomend that you eventually get both, but if you want to know wich one first then go with the Prince.
    Votewar MKV 2nd place. . .

Back from internet limbo, and glad to be here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of almost the same thing for my DP sounds real devastating to me. I do face a necron player every now and again that uses c'tan nightbringer usually and being the big cc fan that I am I have a big problem with shooting him dead. I would rather bring him down the proper way if I could. I think a DP would be insta killed by the nightbringer because hes a strength 10 right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

There are two types of statured daemon princes, fire magnets, and really killy. If your list consists of mainly chaos marines and daemons, with no or few vehicles or terminators, then a fire magnet prince would not work. A killy prince could would give a shooty army the combat it needs, but a killy prince dies easy. The way to use a killy prince is to kill the most threatening unit. The prince will then usually die. The problem with a killy prince is that non-statured lords do it better.

A bloodthirster is a bit of both, a fire magnet and a bit killy. It costs more because of this. So, basically, you would firstly only take a bloodthirster if you had a couple of vehicles, obliterators, and terminators as well. And if you have that, you don't have a lot left to summon the bloodthirster. Basically, the argument follows on and comes to the logical conclusion that a bloodthirster is just not a good choice in under 2000pts.

I would stick to a non-statured daemon prince if you have a lot of marines and daemons, and take a statured prince with armour, aura, and resilience if you have 2-4 vehicles and oblits.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

was thinking of almost the same thing for my DP sounds real devastating to me. I do face a necron player every now and again that uses c'tan nightbringer usually and being the big cc fan that I am I have a big problem with shooting him dead. I would rather bring him down the proper way if I could. I think a DP would be insta killed by the nightbringer because hes a strength 10 right?
    If your Daemon Prince is toughness 5, then yes, the Nightbringer would instant kill it unless you had a weapon that nullified this effect.

When against a Nightbringer, your probally gonna have to just shoot him down, although that can be hard because of his invulnerable save and high toughness. Sometimes its best just to ignore the Nightbringer and go for phase out, but sometimes its hard to ignore him. Usually you should be able to out manuever him because he can only move 6". That would probally be your best bet - trying to ignore him and go for phase out or shooting him down. Anyway I hope that helped at least a little...

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x3)

Put it this way, if the Nightbringer attacked a Bloodthirster it would mess it up thanks to its ignoring of all armour saves. Your best option against Necron would probably be a DP with a squad of chosen and just rip through the models classeed as Necrons. Thats how you beat cheesy players who use Monoliths or C'tans in 100 point armies

My Arena Champions: Kharn'eth The Bloodcleaver and Gorzag Iron Jaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobtheGuru
    Put it this way, if the Nightbringer attacked a Bloodthirster it would mess it up thanks to its ignoring of all armour saves. Your best option against Necron would probably be a DP with a squad of chosen and just rip through the models classeed as Necrons. Thats how you beat cheesy players who use Monoliths or C'tans in 100 point armies
    hes right. If you plan on fighting a nightbringer in close combat dont plan on coming home. You will need about 4 daemon princes.
    best tactic is make them fade out. attack their normal troops

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Retard
    hes right. If you plan on fighting a nightbringer in close combat dont plan on coming home. You will need about 4 daemon princes.
    best tactic is make them fade out. attack their normal troops
    Well... That or one of the Forgworld Daemon Princes... Man those things are sweet. Not many things can beat the Slaanesh one. :yes:
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast