Dreadnought or Predator (playing World Eaters) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreadnought or Predator (playing World Eaters)

Did a bit of thinking as to which Heavy Support option would be better. I'm leaning towards the Dreadnought for a few reasons:

- Side armor 13 as opposed to 12 using Mutated Hull (tanks can be flanked easily)
    - Sponson Lascannons do little good if you move at all
    - A dread with cc weapon is very effective in cc
    - Easier to hide a dread in cover than a tank
    - Slightly cheaper

Anyone disagree?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Laplace
    Did a bit of thinking as to which Heavy Support option would be better. I'm leaning towards the Dreadnought for a few reasons:

- Side armor 13 as opposed to 12 using Mutated Hull (tanks can be flanked easily)
    - Sponson Lascannons do little good if you move at all
    - A dread with cc weapon is very effective in cc
    - Easier to hide a dread in cover than a tank
    - Slightly cheaper

Anyone disagree?
    I agree completely. They are also WAY cooler looking, more fluffy, and, most importantly...

THEY ARE NOT JUST RHINO'S WITH A TURRET ON TOP!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreads are cool, but you'll get a more effective base of firepower with the predator.

That having been said you are playing World Eaters.... you've got the cc angle covered already, so it's probably not the end of the world if you can't put 1 more unit into close combat. Predators also aren't subject to the frenzy rules, which means a predator will always fire when you want it to, instead of having a 1/3 chance of just running forward. Predators also really don't need to move too much, just get into LOS and stay there, and it's armor is heavy enough that it can take a thrashing. Don't forget the possibility of a defiler too if you're looking for some heavy support, the battle cannon with indirect fire could be quite helpful (Especially for popping basilisks, wiping out counter charge units before your lines get there, or ripping holes in ork mobs).

Of course, you could just do what I do, and don't take any HS in favor of aspiring champions with meltabombs, which works wonders (especially on my bikes)
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Dreadnought everytime, I don't care about any namby pamby explanations or reasoning with needing fire support get that dreadnought (actually get three but anyway) give it another CC weapon and CHARGE!!!!!!!!

Blood for the Blood God.

But seriously, if you take a predator it will actually attract more fire than a dreadnought simply because it is the one thing in your army that can fire back, a dreadnought on the other hand is just another CC monster in an army of CC monsters and may avoid attention.

Although a predator may help you against fast moving armies such as eldar skimmers it won't be much use. Not only do you have to get it in position hit and destroy your target (no mean feat) you then have to make sure that you aren't identified and destroyed as a primary threat. I am of the view that maximising your strength takes priority over bolstering your weaknesses, WE strength is CC so maximise it.

Senior Member Soviet_Tau_Commander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ubernyaw
    Of course, you could just do what I do, and don't take any HS in favor of aspiring champions with meltabombs, which works wonders (especially on my bikes)
    The weakness there is that skimmers will be very tough to take down. You still need to hit normaly when using grendades.

If you can eliminate (or reduce) your weakness, you'll be better off in the long end. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a surefire way to lose once your oponents figure out how to counter it.
    Last edited by Soviet_Tau_Commander; February 14th, 2006 at 19:20.
    There once was a Lord named Vlad,
    Who's fighting skillz really were mad.
    He killed and he maimed,
    He spilled blood in Khorne's name.
    And the fact that he's legal makes me glad
    (special thanks to Uriel Zarium for the last line/touching it up)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take the Dread you cant go wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

Dread: extra DCCW, Extra Armor, Parasitic posession, Destroyer, Smoke launchers(Fire on the first turn).

Thats 143 points, and the thing is more than capable of taking the heat that will inevitably be fired at it whilst making its way forward. If you get lucky and BR then you'll probably make combat with something on turn 2, three at the lastest. Plenty of time to make your points chewing up infantry or squishing a character.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

My vote goes for the predator. Never underestimate the ability to have 3 lascannons firing at a vehicle/terminator squad/hive tyrant. I usually take two preds kitted with lascannons. My philosophy is: If you like something, take em' in pairs in case one gets fragged. It'll also make the fighting easier for your beserkers if you got one less hive tyrant to kill in CC.

I've never been a fan of dreadnaughts. they're generally fragile (unless you spend an ungodly ammount of points on mutated hull), they don't have enough attacks in CC to justify their points (you'll kill maybe 2-3 models in each round of CC...which is not that marvelous against most armies). And they're slow as hell (worldeaters are slightly faster though if the dice gods are on your side).
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Neferata
    My vote goes for the predator. Never underestimate the ability to have 3 lascannons firing at a vehicle/terminator squad/hive tyrant. I usually take two preds kitted with lascannons. My philosophy is: If you like something, take em' in pairs in case one gets fragged. It'll also make the fighting easier for your beserkers if you got one less hive tyrant to kill in CC.

I've never been a fan of dreadnaughts. they're generally fragile (unless you spend an ungodly ammount of points on mutated hull), they don't have enough attacks in CC to justify their points (you'll kill maybe 2-3 models in each round of CC...which is not that marvelous against most armies). And they're slow as hell (worldeaters are slightly faster though if the dice gods are on your side).

Hmm I am not so sure I agree, granted in theory taking the predator would fill in the vital role of fire support but I thinking bringing it to bear and making it survive long enough to do some damage is just too much of a chore.

As for the dreadnought I actually think that the points you spend are recouperated on it and its the targets you choose, you don't go for the normal Infantry choices but for the heavyier units Terminators opposition dreadnoughts etc. It may only have 4 or five attacks but at a very high st (8? can't remember haven't got my codex with me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neferata
    And they're slow as hell (worldeaters are slightly faster though if the dice gods are on your side).
    Destroyer Dreads (Khorne) Blood Frenzy on a roll of 1 or 2. CHARGE!!!!
    fRESH lives

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast