Librarium Online Forums banner

Terminators and Iron warriors?

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Caluin 
#1 ·
Hi, recently started iron warriors and i was just going to ask all you chaos people out there what they thought of a unit of 6 chosen with terminator armour and 2 reaper autocannons.

They would probably go with my lord or lieutenent as a retinue. some may be given combi-meltas and chainfist and the unit would advance (or not) under a hail of death with my lord and hopefully make it to combat to mess something up

Just asking if its an effective unit for the points, or if it fits in with an Iron Warriors army?

Thanks, laters

#2 ·
It would definately fit in with the Iron warriors.

Generally chaos terminators are not worth it because of their obscene cost. By doing what you propose you have a huge points sink that could be better spent on vinicator/obliterators/basilisk etc. Though they are very cool and are very fluffy you rarely see them on the table.

I personally would do it because it seems so right, but realsitically you can get much better guns for the same cost of the sqaud. Granted you won't have much assault but how often do you see serious assault units in IW armies?

I say do it, just for the coolness and fluffyness.

#4 · (Edited)
I personally don't feel Terminators go well with Iron Warriors. I have always felt that Obliterators are the choice in an elite slot for the army, and massed units of regular marines with special weapons is the way to go. I feel terminators carve out to may points that can be better spent else where. I have always felt IW armies should have a Vindicator, its a excellent vehicle and as a supplement with Havoc Squad with tank hunter is excellent when combined with Autocannons consider it is more cost effective then terminators and when deployed in cover correctly has better range and a greater number of higher strength hits.

Edit on assault:
by the way, my iron warriors are a counter assault/assault oriented army based around lots of marines, furious charge, and fighting on my terms. its does incredibly well as its backed by a Vindicator, a defiler, and havocs. With the Oblits its an excellent army and i'm not dependant on characters to win games as i have lots of marines with additional hand weapons. My win loss record from below is legit as i track all my games and love the IW real armies, not the i'm going to shoot you armies:)

#5 ·
The_Outsider said:
how often do you see serious assault units in IW armies?
Once a week when I or another guy at the local store bring out our IW. (Though his is 4 dreads backed up by 6 oblits and 30 marines while mine is chosen termies and 20 mechanized troops backed up by 40 havocs...8))

#6 ·
darkreever said:
... backed up by 40 havocs...8))
40 havocs? Gah! I bet you are not very impressed when people play armored company, or smack down two monoliths :shifty:

Arizzar

#7 ·
I'm guessing 40 havocs is a overstatement. I will admit though i love playing havocs in squads of 8 with either autocannons/tank hunter or 3 lascannons in a squad. I've never had an issue with a monolith or armored company yet. It gives me the chuckles when necro players put one down thinking their all big and bad then between my oblits and las cannons the thing disappears on turn 1. Thanks for 250 free points.

#8 ·
Why ever take terminators in an Iron Warriors army when you can better use your elites for 3 squads of obliterators you cheese monkeys :p

#10 ·
Iron warriors and terminators dont really fit together.mostly b/c u have the choice of 9 obliterators.SOOOOOO if u want to save money then go with terminators if u want an effective army then go with obliterators.
I would have thought the close quarters nature of siege fighting, in the final assaults at least, would fit Terminators quite well. That is what the armour was designed for after all.

I also think Terminators would be effective in different situations to Obliterators, and there is no reason for an army with Terminators to be inneffective. But I would only use them in larger games, as that is quite a pricey unit.

#11 ·
MouseC112 said:
I'm guessing 40 havocs is a overstatement.
No its the plain truth. If something gets in range of those bolters and your firing at them, then some more shots can never hurt. (and I dont believe in wasting models, since a box of chaos is usually 10 and I do heavy conversions, why waste two if I'm putting in the effort...8))

#12 ·
9 obliterators?

can't you fit in 12?
correct me if im wrong, but dont obliterators count as heavy support in an IW army? and cant you have 4 HVY slots in an IW army? And arent the obliterators in squads of 3?

i could be completely wrong on this one though... who knows?

lol

But if you want some serious CC, just go for a group of chosen kitted out with flight and claws. keep them out until the opponent gets close, then run out and tear them to shreds.
on the other hand, your marines are just as good as every other marine, and theyre no slackers in CC if you ask me.

but terminators could be cool, but the problem is that theyd b priority targets.

#13 ·
Obliterators are an elite selection in every army.

#14 ·
Darkstarknight13 said:
Iron warriors and terminators dont really fit together.mostly b/c u have the choice of 9 obliterators.SOOOOOO if u want to save money then go with terminators if u want an effective army then go with obliterators.

Well if you use them as a retinue for your lord, you can still take the 9 oblites right, or does the chosen still count towards the chosen elites spot?

#15 ·
Farseer Benillius said:
Well if you use them as a retinue for your lord, you can still take the 9 oblites right, or does the chosen still count towards the chosen elites spot?
No matter how many Chosen you take (Other than none, ofcourse), and no matter how you group them up, they will always take up one Elites choice. So even by taking a retinue for your Lord, you'll lose the one Elites slot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.