Iron Warriors? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron Warriors?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iron Warriors?

Hey everyone, just thinking about my next army after I'm done with my grey knights.

I was thinking either chaos or necrons. The reason im posting in the Chaos forums is because i know more about necrons than i do the chaos legion i was thinking about using.

I was considering either Iron warriors,. I like the heavy firepower of the iron warriors (neither of my previous armies had really any options for heavy firepower, except for the looted bassie in my orks).

I dont have the chaos codex on me, but if i remember correctly, Iron warriors can have absolutely no deaemons right? thats sortof a bummer for me, but the ordnance could really piss my opponents off seeing as how i play against tyranids (genestealers, so each model is expensive, and 1 blast template wil take out like 5), eldar (i think hes making it into saimhann), 1k sons (the high strength will insta-kill, making those 2 wounds useless), imperial guard (take out chunks of troops, and important artillery), tau (same as imps), and space marines (ordnance will get rid of those pesky 3+ saves).

i think im pretty sold on the Iron warriors out of the chaos legions, so its just between them and necrons. I'm probably going to do both of them anyways, im just trying to decide which to do first.

Any suggestions? warnings?

I was thinking of going full on iron warrior craziness (this is for 2000 points). 6 obliterators, a group of termies w/ a lord as HQ, bunches of troops. mayb 1 big infiltrating CC squad, tank hunting havoc squad, and a defiler, 2 basilisks. and maybe another bassie if i can fit it.

idk i like the general concept of iron warriors, so im taking it to the extreme.

HAHA i just realized that during my post, ive went from needing help deciding between Iron warriors and necrons, to asking for list advice for Iron warriors... ill change the title now from "Chaos or Necrons?" to "Iron warriors?" lol

thanks in advance for the help

=][=

GM HALLS

Daemons shall crumble before my might!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Iron warriors are a cool army, if you ask me.

Yes, you can have no daemons.

Basilisks are 0-1 if I'm remembering right. Which explains why anyone would ever want to take a Defiler.

A lot of people take a beefed up vindicator too (with daemonic possession and parasitic possession) it's incredibly tough to destroy.

6 obliterators = dangerous. Because they'll be in squads, they'll be more vulnerable than if they were opperating solo. To be honest, with the ammount you're already going to spend on the terminators, I'd say 2 obliterators is sufficient.

Don't forget the troops.. Their heavy weapons are more cost effective than those of a havoc squad, and they have the ablative armour to be able to deploy it.

Don't overtool your lord if he's in a terminator squad. Making him too beefy will result in an unlucky deep strike or clever enemy being able to reap hundreds of points from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahh yes that would explain why people use defilers lol.

so then... how about:

1 lord, suped up for either CC or shooting (prob cc...)
    maybe: Dark blade + daemonic S. + speed+ stature + D armor+ D essence + D resil?
    makes for one nasty CC man S8 no armor saves?. o + a bolt pistol

Then 6(9) oblits (i dont agree with what u say about them being more vuln. in squads)

1 CC inf. squad

2 Standard squads

1 bassie

2 defilers

1 other tank... idk yet. predator? LR? or a third defiler? that could be cool...
    =][=

GM HALLS

Daemons shall crumble before my might!

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i were you I'd take Iron Warriors over Toasters, after a while you wil probally get tiered of bots and move on as they are fairly limited option wise. And Chaos offers more modeling options ( I've always wanted to model a chaos bassie)

Don't get a landraider; chaos landraiders really arn't woth it 250 base points for what two lascannons, your better off with a dread or a vindi i think. What you have there is fairly solid, I would probally start with what you have listed and build from there after seeing what works for you,
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For that last tank I would use a Leman Russ, as the AV will make it last longer than a Defieler

Edit: Whoops, no codex at the moment.
    Last edited by Novelizer; March 5th, 2006 at 02:20.
    The Power of the Novels Shall Kill You All!! Muhaha

Ultimate Super Villian Clan; Lurking, Sniper Villian
    Star Wars Clan; Sith Lord
    Imperial Tactics Review; Master of Sanctity
    3500:Marines
    2000: Hordes of Chaos
    1500:Biel-Tan Eldar

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Novelizer
    For that last tank I would use a Leman Russ
    Can't do that. The only Imperial tanks Iron Warriors can use are basilisks and Vindicators see page 41 Codex Cahos for a refrence
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Let me explain my point about deploying your oblits in squads..

Most units will only have a maximum of one weapon with a realistic chance of destroying an obliterator, but it won't always be the case. Having your obliterators in a squad means that the opponent who points a predator annihilator or a rapid firing veteran squad with plasma guns at them is going to reap himself a lot of points, which would be wasted on overkill if he was firing at a lone obliterator.

It also means you're likely to waste shots in return, as the obliterators all have to fire at the same thing. If you fire 3 lascannons at a tank and the first one destroys it, you've just wasted some of the points which went into paying for those lascannons.

Anyway, that's a minor point. Many people do use squads of obliterators, but I wouldn't for the above reasons.

On the list.. It's looking quite sound to me. I wouldn't field the daemon prince, but that's just me.. I don't like 'em. A lot of people do, so they must be good for something. It just never added up for me.

I'm not sure about the Bassie and 2 Defilers myself.. Okay, you want a lot of ordinance. But where are you going to hide those massive clawed things? They're too expensive and vulnerabl to stand in the open being pounded with anti tank weapons, and I'm not sure most battlefields will have enough cover to keep them safe..

If you're determined to stick with the maxed out ordinance list.. I'd consider the beefy Vindicator as your 4th heavy support choice. It's not really artillery, true, but it adds more ordinance and, unlike the others, it can take shots. If it's rolling around dropping pieplates, your opponent is going to be more distracted, and less able to think about getting to your flimsy ordinance droppers on the back row.

That, and I like the Vindicator.. I think it and the Basilisk are the most cost effective ordinance tanks in the game, because you aren't paying for a bunch of extra weapons which you're only going to fire if the main gun is destroyed.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; March 5th, 2006 at 19:45.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with mantis. I originally sported 2 units of three and dropped it to 2 units of 2 in a hurry. If I could I would just use 4 each in a seperate unit. But its a lot of points to sink in to an individual model (even though unlikey) can be killed by a couple of bolter shots and bad armour saves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

I really recommend that vindicator in IW especially in smaller games. I've found that range 24 (vindicator) over minimum range 36 (bassy fired indirect) is more useful in a 4x4 table. In addition, if you mutate it its armor 14 in the front. I love deploying it as a mobile wall with my marines running behind, or as a blocker for my raptors. Its a huge plus as most heavy weapons that would fire at your oblits target the Vindicator instead. Instead of 2 defilers i'd buy 1 defiler and 1 vindicator.

I'm also not completely sold on the Landraider yet. In smaller games that equal to having 3 oblits and having some change left for more marines.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the best way to use obliterators in an IW army is to just take the maximum of 9, and deploy 2 squads and deep strike the other. Sit on the edge and just blast people with lascannons or heavy bolters or whatever, every weapon they have is good. The deep strikers just show up where the enemy still (if they even do) has anyone living, and they blast them. All the while you are shooting everyone with your 4 missle launchers dev squad and basilisk and defiler, as well as moving up your vindicator to destroy them.
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast