Kai Gun & Ether Lance - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kai Gun & Ether Lance

I see plenty of people using Dark Blade & Dreadaxe, but does anyone ever use the Kai Gun or Ether Lance?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiros
    I see plenty of people using Dark Blade & Dreadaxe, but does anyone ever use the Kai Gun or Ether Lance?
    The Kai Gun is popular in shooty armies, often the Iron Warriors. I don't use it personally since I much rather have a counter-charge unit with a Dark Blade for those armies, but it works for some people. It's a good weapon, and is excellent for taking out MEQs.

The Ether Lance on the other hand is a poor choice. Wind of Chaos is much better than the template attack. Wind of Chaos + Power weapon is only ten more points than the Lance, and it doesn't eat up a third of your Daemonic Gifts potential.

For more on this subject, see this thread -

Click Me (Tactica: Chaos Gifts)

I wrote it quite awhile back, but I stand by every last thing I say in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

A not very appropriate story.

My friend modeled up a Chaos IC with a Ether lance a couple years back for a tournament.

Unfortunately he went out his way to make the most physically imposing weapon that he could to represent it and not enough care on choosing exactly the pose of the model.

Imagine a giant traffic cone covered in rotating blades and chainsaw bits held at just under waist level, the tip of the cone shaped whirlygig pointed straight ahead, again at just under waist level. (No I have no idea why he picked this shape.)

It was particularly disturbing if he happend to charge a model facing the other way.

Suffice it to say this model was referred to by my friends opponents as carrying the 'dildo of doom' at the tournament he took it to, and hasn't been seen on the table since.

Its a shame really.

This model has to be seen to be believed. I should get a picture.

As to its game value for him, I have no idea. He was too pissed off about the comments on the figure he had lavished so much attention on, so we never got a rundown.
    Last edited by Grey; March 6th, 2006 at 04:23.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

lol, Caluin you have a habit of answering questions to thoroughly and destryoing any chance of a good flaming session.:rolleyes: If anyone else on these forums answered first they would have said something like Kai Guns are exlcusive to Iron Warriors and ether lances plain suck. That would have started a good debate.

Ps: I would also like to disagree with 2 things on your daemonic gifts thread. 1st, 4+ is a huge advantage for a daemon prince with a dreadaxe as it allows him to go toe to toe with your enemies big things (I.e carnifex's, Wraithlords) where he previously couldn't do that.

Also daemonic fire can be very useful for a lord with lightning claws (or if they have talons/ venom for some reason).
    Last edited by LordLink; March 6th, 2006 at 06:06.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink
    lol, Caluin you have a habit of answering questions to thoroughly and destryoing any chance of a good flaming session.:rolleyes: If anyone else on these forums answered first they would have said something like Kai Guns are exlcusive to Iron Warriors and ether lances plain suck. That would have started a good debate.
    Heh, just part of my job, I think. But there is no reason for people to not debate - I only stated my opinions on the two weapons. People are free to disagree.

Ps: I would also like to disagree with 2 things on your daemonic gifts thread. 1st, 4+ is a huge advantage for a daemon prince with a dreadaxe as it allows him to go toe to toe with your enemies big things (I.e carnifex's, Wraithlords) where he previously couldn't do that.
    As is your right to disagree - makes for differing opinions and good discussions. Though, I still think a Darkblade would work better against the Carnifex and Wraithlords. A Statured Prince with a Dark Blade easily hits strength 8. Enough to wound a Carnifex on a 2+ or 3+, and a Wraithlord on a 3+. And, as I've said time and time again - the Daemon Prince is not designed for taking on big creatures such as that. They're troop killers. A Carnifex with Toxin Sacs and any Wraithlord will kill the Daemon Prince in one hit. You just can't put him into danger like that.

Also daemonic fire can be very useful for a lord with lightning claws (or if they have talons/ venom for some reason).
    So would a Bolt Pistol, which is not only cheaper, but doesn't eat away at his Gifts total.

As for Talons/Venom... what the 'ell are you doing putting either of those onto a Lord? Possessed Champion, perhaps. But a Lord?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Off topic I know but I was under the understanding that a pair of lightning claws took up both your weapons slots?
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Off topic I know but I was under the understanding that a pair of lightning claws took up both your weapons slots?
    They're listed under the "Two handed Weapons" section of the Chaos Armoury, so they count as a single two handed weapon. Any character model may have up to two weapons from the armoury, one of which may be two handed.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Great article Calun I am going to restructure my Khorne army I think, make it that little bit more efficent.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

I had a huge rant with someone who was adamant that this was the case. He then realised he was reading the wrong codex. A pair of LCs is a 2-handed weapon, letting you have a single handed one as well as the 2 Lcs, just as Caluin says.

Kai guns are great fun, and not just for ICs. Try giving your havoc AC one, giving the rest of the squad plasma guns and putting them in a rhino. They can all shoot twice as they get out of the transport...... I'm sure you can guess what your opponents expression will be like
    Ether Lances are OK for marines, but they are overlooked, mainly because people have a tendancy to write on their army lists 'daemon weapon' and pay the cost for how much a dark blade/dreadaxe, and inform their opponent what it is at the start of the game depending on what they are playing. Cheeky and low, yes, but it happens.

Also, Caluin, I thought the wraithlord was S8? Not enough to Instant kill a DP.
    --Monsieur

"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours"
    -Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Also, Caluin, I thought the wraithlord was S8? Not enough to Instant kill a DP.
    This is enough to instant kill a DP unless it has toughness a toughness enhancement for example D. Stature.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast