TS: Pred Configuration - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TS: Pred Configuration

I have a question for the TS players....

So far what has worked best for your Pred configurations? i hear allot of people liking the auto-cannon / lascannon sponsors but to me its not a good configure. allot of the time both sponsors wont beable to fire, and preds in TS armies are mainly used to take out other tanks/dreads so the Auto-cannon wont cut it.

Sure twinlinked lascannon is more pts but i think the pts are justified. and if i wanted to go a cheaper route i would go Twin las and h.bolter sponsors that way i can move and shoot all guns ie. more flexibility. with twin linked you are almost guaranteed to get 1 lascannon shot in. ( well not 100%! )

maybe someone can convience me otherwise?

BTW in most games ill be using 2 preds and a dread in bigger pt games. So i was thinking have 2 twin link las and h.botler sponsors over the other 2 configurations. also is there a easy way to swap guns? ie. have the sponsors removable/turrent

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

As the Pred's only role in a Thousand Sons's army is to bust other Tanks I always use the all lascannon setup. This combined with D.possession and Mutated Hull makes for one durable tank.
    You will not have to move it all that often anyway and even if three lascannons might seem a bit overkill when you are talking "to hit ratio" it is not overkill when it comes to penetration rolls.
    Three hits are in fact what you will need to score a damage result on AV14, and half of theese will only be glancing.
    And in a Sons's army those two extra Heavy bolters are not that big a deal, remember that a full unit of flamers will shoot 27 such shots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I second Andusciassus, even with an all Lascannon setup I've found I'm not necessarily killing a tank a turn with my Predator. I also tried the TL-LC turret and HB sponson setup to horrid results.

As to your second question, I looked into the same thing and I don't think there's an easy way to do it without ordering additional turret or sponson sprues from GW (in which case it should really be pretty easy).
    -destp
    Thousand Sons ~2750 points | Eldar ~1000 points
    Tzeentch Daemons ~2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Conventional wisdom states that a predator is a TS list is for tank hunting.

Unfortunately my pred was modelled long ago for troop hunting so there's not much I can do about it.

It has: Mutated hull, heavy bolters, autocannon, havok launcher and pintle mounted combi bolter.

Accordingly I typically only take it if I'm facing a horde list.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play the all las-cannon pred in my khorne army as well.
    fRESH lives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

k 2nd question

do you add mut haul or Daemonic Possession

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

allot of the time both sponsors wont beable to fire, and preds in TS armies are mainly used to take out other tanks/dreads so the Auto-cannon wont cut it.

Sure twinlinked lascannon is more pts but i think the pts are justified. and if i wanted to go a cheaper route i would go Twin las and h.bolter sponsors that way i can move and shoot all guns ie. more flexibility. with twin linked you are almost guaranteed to get 1 lascannon shot in. ( well not 100%! )
    Why won't the sponsons be able to fire? That's only if you move, but that thing should be sitting in a nice spot and blast stuff. Keep in mind, turning towards the enemy does not count as moving.

Furthermore...if you have heavy bolters, then you may be able to fire them on the move, but against the type of target that you use the pred against they just won't do anything...unless it's AV11 or less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

I usually use all lascannon configurations - i have thousand sons and my lord for anti light - heavy troops, and the lascannon pred comfortably fills the anti-heavy tank role.

LoC
    The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people are awesome and can kick your ass.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

RAMROD ONE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

When it comes to Thousand Sons, your troops have no choice but to be anti-infantry units. They have no Heavy Weapon options, their Bolters are designed to kill light infantry, and their Deamons are living Heavy Bolters. So why would you ever put Heavy Bolter sponsons on a Predator? They're your only real option for anti-tank (besides Bolts of Change, but that's a different discussion), so why force them into a role that is already covered by other units?

Either go with Autocannon Turret + Lascannon Sponsons or TLLC Turret + Lascannon Sponsons.

Now, as for Mutated Hull and Daemonic Possession. Always try to take Daemonic Possession. It is hands down the best vehicle upgrade avaliable to Chaos, and is considered by many to be the best in the entire game. Mutated Hull is a bit iffier - it really depends on your opponents. Eldar/Dark Eldar laugh at your waste of points, but Tyranids cringe at the thought of dealing with an AV14 tank.

Most of the time, it's best to just take Daemonic Possession and save the points for putting towards another Predator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, dont forget the Chosen Havocs of Tzeentch!

6x Chosens
    Mark of Tzeentch,
    2x Bolts of Change, 2x Lascannons 292 pts, what a bargain!

Look for a post below this saying: "Look how things that are added to the Armoury arent added..." Remember, i told u about a man named Sh! Sh!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast