New to Warhammer and World Eatersany help will be appreciated! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Warhammer and World Eatersany help will be appreciated!

Hey guys,

A friend of mine started playing 40k about two months ago, and needless to say he has gotten me into it! I borrowed that huge thick rule book from him and ihave read it (yes i know it took forever) and i think i know the basics. My friend also leant me some spare chaos marines that he got off ebay (he had no use for them considering he plays orks =P) The other day we had at it, a massively epic 50 point battle ( ) It was then that i realized just how fun 40k was!

I have a couple of beginning questions however.
    Firstly what is this chaos Lt. that everyone is speaking of (i can't find it on games workshop website) and can the World Eaters use him?
    Second can i only have one HQ unit? i was planning on having both a daemon prince and a bloodthirster. (however i would also like to know if i could have a chaos lord and a chaos sorcerer, and a bloodthirster out all at the same time?)

Also, how do i get aspiring champions? Are they sold individually at games workshop or do i have to make them myself? If so how do you make aspiring chamions?

Thanks in advance
    Snurf

P.S. sorry for the nub questions

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Ehew, you are new! But that's okay, everyone was at one time, and with a little bit of help and a lot of reading, you'll be an expert in no time.

Also, I see this is your first post, so welcome to LO. Be sure to follow the rules, and if you like stop by the Introductions forum to let everyone know just who you are. We're like a big happy family here, and it's always nice to know just how many cousins you have, and just how crazy they might be.

Now, as for your questions....

Quote Originally Posted by Snurf
    Firstly what is this chaos Lt. that everyone is speaking of (i can't find it on games workshop website) and can the World Eaters use him?
    The Lt. is is simply an HQ choice that Chaos has access to. They're much like a Chaos Lord, except a bit weaker and cheaper on the points. You won't find any single model for him, as all it requires is a Chaos Marine that stands out from all the rest. Many people convert their own from bits and pieces of other models.

Second can i only have one HQ unit? i was planning on having both a daemon prince and a bloodthirster. (however i would also like to know if i could have a chaos lord and a chaos sorcerer, and a bloodthirster out all at the same time?)
    Most missions (the type of game that you play) require at least one HQ choice and allow up to two. So you could indeed have a Chaos Lord and a Bloodthirster if you wanted to, but you wouldn't be able to include a Sorcerer Lt as well.

Also, how do i get aspiring champions? Are they sold individually at games workshop or do i have to make them myself? If so how do you make aspiring chamions?
    Most boxes of marines come with a "Champion Sprue" that gives you just enough pieces to make an extra neat looking model. Champions are sometimes sold seperately as well. The only requirement is that he looks a bit different from the rest, and that any weapons and wargear he has bought from the armoury are properly shown on the model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Hello! Welcome to LO!

It's a Chaos Lieutenant, a cheaper Lord with less wounds and less points to spend on weapons and gifts.

Second can i only have one HQ unit? i was planning on having both a daemon prince and a bloodthirster.
    You can have 2 HQs.

(however i would also like to know if i could have a chaos lord and a chaos sorcerer, and a bloodthirster out all at the same time?)
    No, that's three HQs. You can't, however, have any sorcerors in World Eaters army.
    (You can, of course, play a Khorne-biased Black Legion/generic Chaos, but that's another thing)

There are some champion bits in each box of marines that you use to transform an ordinary trooper into a champion.

First thing you should do if you plan to dive into the WH40K is to buy a Codex: Chaos Space Marines. Then read it (it's shorter that a rulebook, don't worry). At least twice. Then download the FAQ from GW site and correct your codex. Then probably read our FAQ (http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...40k-chaos.html) That's a lot of reading, but it'll solve many of your questions.

Good luck, and Death to the false emperor!

EDIT: Unholy Chaos, I'm starting to talk almost exactly like Caluin. I must be on my long and windy path to Daemonhood.
    Last edited by onodera; March 25th, 2006 at 21:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks alot for your help guys! I got the Codex yesterday and gave it a good readover today. Ya i guess no psychic abilites for me, but that's cool anyway =D!

OK, i know exactly what you guys are talking about for the Aspiring Champion Sprue (the only thing is is that i think i used the good parts of that Sprue to make a possessed chaos space marine XD) oh well i'm sure it won't matter as i'm getting all khrone berserkers for the full army i plan on making.

EDIT: okay i have another question. I was looking through the codex making a very preliminary army list and i stumbled on the Chosen. The Codex explanation of what they are and what they spealize in is VERY VERY confusing. Can anyone please clairfy? Quite honestly i was thinking of just ommiting then and grabbing a squad or two of obliterators instead.
    Last edited by Snurf; March 25th, 2006 at 22:42.

Senior Member The vampire Lestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry world eaters can't take Obi's, page 38 lists availible units.
    Chosen are elite unit of chaos marines that replace the terminators and vet marine unit entry. I can't go into it too much without breaking copyright/forum rules but if you explain exactly whats confusing you maybe we can help.
    Welcome to World Eaters.

Senior Member Soviet_Tau_Commander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick tips on playing World Eaters:
    1) All squads that can should/must take a either powerfist or melta bombs on the Aspiring Champion. You will see why this is so important the first time you get a squad with the mark of khorne stuck on a vehicle that they can't hurt normaly.

2) Don't discurage. Most of your squads will be expensive to begin with and having fnacy stuff such as Bikes, or Chosen, or Possessed... get real expensive, real quick. That means you're going usualy to have a low model count army. Low model count armies are a real chalenge. But they are winable. Strategy is the key.

3) Have fun. This is the most important rule of 40k.

Well, I would add more but I have to get ready for work now. Hope this helps.
    There once was a Lord named Vlad,
    Who's fighting skillz really were mad.
    He killed and he maimed,
    He spilled blood in Khorne's name.
    And the fact that he's legal makes me glad
    (special thanks to Uriel Zarium for the last line/touching it up)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Remember, you don't have to play World Eaters. If you want to load up on the berserkers and still have access to obliterators, you could always play Black Legion (I think black legion berserkers look great myself.)

Chosen are beefed up chaos space marines. Used in power armour, they can use slightly more heavy weapons than a regular squad and can take as many aspiring champions as they want (this is very cool if you want a super elite unit of death) but most people don't seem to think this is worth it. The real reason most people take them is to upgrade them to terminators.. Used correctly, terminators can be very effective, though they're more like an icing on the cake unit for big points games than a core part of your army.

I wouldn't recommend a Daemon Prince and a Bloodthirster in the same army, myself. It's a nice idea, but they both have much the same role, and cost a lot of points. I'd probably go with the bloodthirster, for the look on your opponents face when you drop it in the middle of their lines. That said, Khorne Daemon Princes are pretty damn fearsome.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; March 26th, 2006 at 12:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the main reason why i wanted to go both bloodthirster and daemon prince is simploy for the look on my friends face when i pull them both out! :w00t: I'm sorry i thought i read somewhere that world eaters could field Obliterators?

The main reason i ask about chosen is because i wanted to know more about the terminator armor?

For instance what is the difference between terminator armor and power armor? Also is a chosen terminator just a chosen in terminator armor?

So you guys don't think i should field terminators in my beginners army? How about bloodletters?

Also what is the general rule of thumb for 40k games How many Elites/heavy support/troop/HQ/fast attack units are you able to field?

Thanks Again, sorry for the Nubness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I'm sorry i thought i read somewhere that world eaters could field Obliterators?
    Nope. All World Eaters models must have the Mark of Khorne, and Obliterators may not take any Marks of Chaos, so are not allowed. As mentioned, you can play a Khorne heavy Black Legion list, and all it'll cost you is the free Champions and bonuses to summoning rolls.

For instance what is the difference between terminator armor and power armor? Also is a chosen terminator just a chosen in terminator armor?
    Power Armour is what all Chaos Marines come with normally. It's what gives them the 3+ armour save. Terminator Armour is stronger and more durable. It gives them better saves, bonus attacks, and an invulnerable save, as well as a few other advantages. You can find the specifics on page 17 of the Chaos Codex.

So you guys don't think i should field terminators in my beginners army? How about bloodletters?
    Terminators are best saved until right around the 1500+ points mark. Focus on core troops, such as Berzerkers. Bloodletters are okay, but don't go over board on them.

Also what is the general rule of thumb for 40k games How many Elites/heavy support/troop/HQ/fast attack units are you able to field?
    Depends on the mission, but most missions you'll ever play are "Standard" missions which all share the same Force Organization Chart rules. You can find that on page 21 of the Chaos Codex, as well as in the BGB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey guys, i have decided not to make a world eaters army but instead make an iron warriors army. They have more of whta i am looking for. Such as Daemon Princes and Possessed (which are trhe only daemons i'm really interested in... i decided agaist getting a bloodthirster).

A couple of questions though. First the codex talks about the 0-1 obliterator limit does not affect IW. Does that mean that any other chapter of chaos can only have 1 oblit squad while IW can have more then 1?

Also , I know that the codex say's IW cant have any Daemon's asside from possesed and Daemon Prince but does that also include Greater Daemons? If i ever do decide to maybe get a Bloodthirster later will i be able to as IW? Thanks again in advance!

~Snurf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast