New Chaos Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Chaos Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Chaos Army

Hey everyone. Today I decided to start a new Chaos marine army. My first army was space marines but they get kinda boring. Chaos seems like a fun army to play with lots of upgrades and lots of personal choices to make such as demons, marks, etc. I'm thinking of starting a mark undevided chapter so I can really play around with all the types of units, all the demons etc. If anyone has suggestions please tell. And I have a question about mark undevided....If your army is mark undevided can you still use a khorne unit such as khorne berserkers along with a tzeenth unit such as thousand sons? Please let me know how I should start my army and what a good chapter to make is Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Firstly, I hate to say it, but you will need a codex. Even with army builder or some such program, the chaos list is one of the most complex around, so it's going to be hard to build an army without getting one and reading it through at least once, if not several times over, until you get the silly complexity.

Now, to answer your question, it depends what kind of undivided army you're fielding.

If you're fielding a vanilla 'black legion' style list, then yes, you can include berserkers and thousand sons in the same army. If your general has the mark of chaos undivided, you can include any marked units you want, but they will count as elites choices. If your general has a mark of chaos himself, then any basic marines carrying the same mark will count as a troops choice. The flipside to this is that if your general has a mark of a particular god, you cannot take any troops with the mark of that god's particular enemy. Khorne and Slannesh don't like each other, neither do Nurgle and Tzeentch.

Phew.. and if that wasn't confusing enough, you can also field one of the 'special' undivided legions. These guys have their own special rules, equipment and so forth, but in turn they have limitations and disadvantages, including the inability to field marks other than undivided. For example, the alpha legion get cheaper infiltration and an extra 'cultist' unit, but lose access to daemons and cannot take troops with any mark other than the mark of chaos undivided.

So, which is the best to make? That totally depends on you. Black legion is a great starting point and you really can't go wrong with the range of troops on offer to you. If you have a specific style in which you want your force to play, then it might be worth choosing the legion which best compliments that. My advice is to get a codex, read through it and find out what you like the sound of.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; April 15th, 2006 at 03:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

First off, you're gonna want to buy the Chaos codex.

Then, select a legion.

Black Legion:
    This Legion is the ‘Vanilla’ Chaos Space Marines. It has the most options, and has access to every unit in the Chaos Space Marine Codex. A Black Legion army can be good for close combat, shooting, or a mix of the two. It’s the most versatile of all the Legions, and is good to start out with. If you are unsure what Legion to start with, then Black Legion is probably for you because it gives you the ability to try out most things in the codex, and lets you get a feel for the general Chaos army.

Alpha Legion:
    Alpha Legion focuses on infiltrating. You get the Infiltrate special ability at a cheaper price for some units, and access to Chaos Cultists, a hoard type unit. As the Alpha Legion is an undivided force, it may not take marked units. Alpha Legion has access to Daemons, which is different compared to some of the other undivided legions of Chaos. Typically, Alpha Legion is a more infantry base list mainly because of their access to Chaos Cultists. They generally have a mix of shooting and close combat units. If you like a sneaky, infiltrating infantry army, then this Legion is for you.

World Bearers:
    World Bearers are an infantry, and daemon heavy force with access to all types of daemons. They get extra troop slots, but have to give up an Elite, Heavy Support, and Fast Attack choice. The World Bearers can be lead by Dark Apostles that makes the units around him fearless. Unfortunately, the World Bearers can’t take specialized marked squads. If you like Daemons, this is the Legion for you.

Iron Warriors:
    The Iron Warriors probably have the most firepower compared to the other legions. They gain an extra Heavy Support Choice, and the limitation on Obliterators is removed! You also gain access to the Basilisk (see IG codex) and Vindicator (see SM codex) tanks. You also gain access to the Servo Arm, which acts similar to the Space Marine Tech arm. . However, they must sacrifice one Fast Attack option, as well as not being able to select Daemons or specifically marked units. If you like firepower and ordnance then Iron Warriors are for you.

Night Lords:
    The Night Lords are swift and stealthy. By giving up 1 Heavy Support choice, they gain one fast attack choice. A Night Lord army can be fast and hard hitting with many Bikers and Raptors. They lose access to Daemons and God specific marks however. They can also take the stealth adept veteran skill. If you want a quick, and mobile force that can hit fast and hard, then Night Lords may be for you.

Khorne (World Eaters):
    Khorne is a close combat oriented legion that serves the blood god. Their main daemons are the Bloodletters, and the Bloodthirster. Their main troop choice is Berserkers. Basically, they charge forward and try to get into assault, usually backed up by a Predator for some fire support. They have limited firepower, but they make up for it in close combat. The Sacred number is 8. If you like crazy blood frenzy units charging for close combat, then World Eaters may be for you.

Nurgle (Death Guard):
    The Mark of Nurgle gives an extra toughness, gets the True Grit ability, and makes them Fearless. Many forces have infiltrating/rhino squads with melta/plasma guns blast away, and then assault usually accompanied with an AC. The main daemon of nurgle is Plague Bearers, and their main troops are Plague Marines. They are very resilient, and are overall a powerful army with 7 as their sacred number. If you like resilient, a powerful units, then Death Guard may be for you.

Slaanesh (Emperors Children):
    Emperors Children serve the god of Slaanesh. They utilize sonic weaponry that can be very powerful. The Noise Marines are excellent at shooting and assault. Daemonettes are the daemons of slaanesh, and though they can be fragile they can be very devastating on the charge. Slaanesh are considered by some to be the best legion for doing the ‘Daemon Bomb’ tactic. There sacred number is 6.Accompanied by their good psychic, shooting, and assault abilities the Emperors Children can be a powerful, and fun legion to play.

Tzeentch (Thousand Sons):
    The Tzeentch have greater sorcerers, and powerful spells. They are granted an extra wound, but move slow. Because of this, Thousand Son armies tend to be slow, shooting and psychic oriented armies. Their Daemons can be impressive, by laying down lots of firepower.
    Their sacred number is 9.If you like resilent, and psychic powers coupled with a lot of firepower, then the Thousand Sons might be for you.

Overall, whatever Legion you choose you are bound to enjoy, and like it.

After that you will want to start preposing an army list and start getting your models. Feel free to post your preposed or planned army in the Chaos Army List section, and I'll feel free to give you advice on it or suggestions.

Read through the boards, articles, and threads, and you should be good to go!

Cheers!
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the Chaos Marine codex and decided im going to start off with a Black Legion army so I can really play around with all the units Chaos has to offer. I'm going to start off by getting a couple Chaos Marine squads and a Chaos Lord or Daemon Prince...I'm open to suggestions on where to go from there, for I haven't much an idea of what to do next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Hopefully you'll enjoy your new Black Legion army!

I'm going to start off by getting a couple Chaos Marine squads and a Chaos Lord or Daemon Prince...I'm open to suggestions on where to go from there, for I haven't much an idea of what to do next.
    You're gonna definatley want to get two troops and an hq. That way you can get some games started. After that, you can expand into the other sections (elite, fast attack, heavy support).

I suggest you start out with 500pts, and build up from there. If you wanted, you could post a preposed army list and I'll feel free to critique it, or give you advice.

A basic sample army list would look somewhat like the following with no pts or wargear in paticular.

HQ- Chaos Lord/Lt.
    Elite- I'd wait for larger games tell you expand into this section
    Troops- 2-4 squads of marines
    Fast Attack- Raptors, if you like
    Heavy Support- Predator

In general, you'd want to keep a solid base of troops. I left out Elites because in smaller battles they can get expensive. It's really up to you though. There are many differnet options for Chaos. Just make sure you give the codex a good read, play test units, and see what you like.

For more information, I suggest checking out the following links:
    From Start to Finish: Chaos Army Building; (v.2)
    Member Created Tactica - Dreadnoughts
    Member Created Tactica - Chaos Bikes
    Index of Chaos Articles
    'Chaos Tactics' search

If you have any further questions, or comments, feel free to PM. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have ASAP.

Cheers!
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to play vanilla, why not make your own legion? When I started a while back, I chose black legion. I wanted to be free to use what I wanted, as in my opinion that was more of an advantage than a more limited, "elite" force. However, after painting my army, I found it incredably boring. Too simple, and they didnt look good.
    So I came up with my own idea for an army. I used one of the Chapter Approved books to come up with a name, as it had an article about making your own space marine chapter. The idea was that my army was once a loyal marine chapter, but then got currupted through the infulence of my sorcerer - Kranius. I set about coming up with a colour scheme for my army "The Devils of Obsidia". At first I wanted to use red, but that is difficult to paint and looks too similar to other armies (World Eaters / Blood Angels). In the end I settled on Enchanted Blue, washed over with blue ink to darken it. I used gold on the borders of the armour and silver for the weaponry. I painted lightning accross all of the armour on every troop, which looked pretty good and added a sorcerous theme. It looked really cool on the vehicles too. I even wrote a chunk of fluff to go along with it.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that making up your own legion, with its own unique fluff and colours, can be very rewarding.
    A Promise to a dead man means nothing.

+ Reply to Thread