Mutants with Firearms anyone? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Mutants with Firearms anyone?

Right, now I'm seriously thinking about starting up a lost and the damned army. I've tried to break away, but the lure of chaos keeps sucking me back in, damnit!

The thing is, mainly for modelling and fluff, I'd really like to give some of my mutants firearms. The trouble being that I know damn well they're the most useless choice around (though for some reason they show up as being free on army builder, until I get to peer through a copy of Codex EoT I'm going to cross my fingers on that one.)

Is there any way to make those firearms worthwhile? What about using them on mutants with the blessing of nurgle (to limit the damage caused by those overheats) or am I just clutching at straws?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    The trouble being that I know damn well they're the most useless choice around (though for some reason they show up as being free on army builder, until I get to peer through a copy of Codex EoT I'm going to cross my fingers on that one.)
    Army builder got one right for a change. Firearms are free on Mutants. There is absolutely no reason to not take them over the basic weaponry. Just because you have them doesn't mean you must fire with them, and they give you an option that is not present with just basic weaponry.

Is there any way to make those firearms worthwhile? What about using them on mutants with the blessing of nurgle (to limit the damage caused by those overheats) or am I just clutching at straws?
    20 Mutants, with firearms. Rapid Fire brings out 13.33 overheats.

Without Bloated you'll lose 2/3 of those, for 8.88 losses, at six points a piece for 53.32 points lost.

With Bloated you'll lose 1/2 of those, for 6.66 losses, at nine points a piece for 59.985 points lost.

So you're throwing points away with the Bloated upgrade.

Edit-
    Not that it's such a bad thing. Bloated will help keep your Muties alive against most basic weaponry, such as Tau Pulse Rifles and Bolters. It's the same theory as putting EC on Genestealers - lose a 6 point model every time, or lose a 9 point model half the time for 4.5 points per "wound." Most people tend to go with "Quantity over Quality" however, and once you have three units of 25+ mutants a piece, that small upgrade becomes a large chunk of points.
    Last edited by Caluin; April 15th, 2006 at 03:50.

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

in terms of modelling, you could possibly use FB dwarf thunderer or empire handguns for that archaic, hand machined look
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I got my copy of Codex EoT today. Since they're free, I'm definately taking them.

But are there any targets against whom they might actually be useful? Genestealers, daemonettes and the like spring to mind, with the high points/toughness ratio, but even then I'm not sure it evens out when one factors in the lousy to hit rolls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

But are there any targets against whom they might actually be useful? Genestealers, daemonettes and the like spring to mind, with the high points/toughness ratio, but even then I'm not sure it evens out when one factors in the lousy to hit rolls.
    The only time I could ever really think of using them is before assaulting Orks or Gaunts, or if you need to damage a unit but not leave a certain spot - for instance, holding an Objective. I can't see firing them at anything that has a 5+ or better save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Better a shoddy gun than no gun at all.

If you're playing a mutant heavy list, you'll find that one of your biggest banes are units that can stay out of your range by moving faster than your footslogging mutants and still shooting you up.

This is compounded by the fact that your list(assuming again that you're going with mutants rather than traitors) will have little ranged firepower.

Things like LSTs, bikes and the like can be very annoying. While against them the firearms are still almost useless, at least it gives you the potential of shooting back at them. Mind you, I'm not saying that it will do much. (For example, even a full squad of 30 mutants shooting at a LST will likely only get 1-2 glancing hits.)

As to what sort of troop(s) the firearm might be actually be decent against?

Gaunts A unit with low toughness and a low save, but which will be faster in hth, so you might want to thin them out with some shots first.

Orks Faster than you in hth if they get the charge (and thus the Waagh), shoot them if you can't charge them.

Wyches Bad, bad news in hth, but with low toughness and a terrible save against shooting.

Genestealers (without EC) Once again, a unit that you're probably better off shooting if you can.

Basically anything more dangerous than your mutants in hth and without a high toughness or a 4+ or better save. Otherwise, as has been stated, you'll be just giving away points when your guns blow up.
    Last edited by Grey; April 15th, 2006 at 16:50.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for modeling them you dont have to, just say your mutants are vomiting acid on them from a distance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

Well, it's quite fun for me, because my army is based on iron warriors and the obliterator virus. I wanted the mutants to look like mini, human sized obliterators (though obviously with no armour), hence, having guns built into their bodies is great modelling fodder for me.

The 2 test models are nearly converted actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

I use mutant with firearm in my LATD army and they are good because :

1- Firearm doesn't lower their number of attack as they only have one attack no matter what weapon they bear and they always receive 1 extra attack beacause of Daemonic Mutation. In this case, why not give them extra range.

2- It comes for free.

3- Firearms stats are similar to those of a bolter, which is better than the regular lasgun.

4- Mutants doesn't cost much, and they have an armour save, so even if the firearm gets hot, your mutant still has a chance to survive.

Usualy, i field 3x 20 mutants with 18 firearms and 2 flamers. Each time a squad shoot, i usualy get hot 4 times and loose 2 or 3 models. My opponent usualy loose 2 or 3 models each shooting phase. This is not so good, but I usualy play against space marines and 2 to 3 marine is a 5 to 8 mutants equivalent.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

+ Reply to Thread