Help for fledgling Iron Warrior against Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help for fledgling Iron Warrior against Tau

Hi guys. New Iron Warrior player here. Only played a few games so far against the same Tau player and I'm having trouble coming up with a working list. We usually play 1500 point games and this was the last list I played:

*Chaos Lord- Dreadaxe, melta bombs, spiky bits, daemon aura, rune, aura, furious charge, and bolt pistol
    *Lieutenant- Power Weapon, combi-melta, Daemon aura, armour, and visage, spiky bits, melta bombs, and furious charge
    -Lieutenant's chosen retinue:
    -6 chosen: 4ccw+pistol and 2 plasma guns
    -1 champion: powerfist, plasma pistol, Mutation, spiky bits, visage
    *1 Obliterator (Trying to get some more. Cash tight at the moment)
    *2 Chaos Marine squads: 6 marines each. Tank hunters and one lascannon per squad
    *Predator: TL Lascannon, lascannon sponsons. Daemonic and Parasitic Possession and Mutated Hull. Pintle combi-bolter
    *Defiler: Havoc Launcher, Parasitic Possession, and Mutated Hull
    *Havoc Squad: 5 marines, tank hunters, 4 autocannons

The Tau force I normally play against is a Railhead, Ionhead, Two devilfish w/ accompanying firewarriors, three broadsides, and several crisis suits w/ fusion blasters/plasma guns.

I plead with you, oh fellow followers of chaos, help this lowly noob fix his list in any way possible to better combat this blue-skinned freaks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I'm not an iron warriors player, but in general I think you've overspent on characters. A lord and a lieutenant are a bit excessive for 1500 points, especially given the cost of them both. You could also stand to cut down on skills a bit.. Your basic marine squads don't really need tank hunters, because they only have one heavy weapon, though the havocs with it are a nice touch.

I also think some of your vehicles are a bit over-upgraded. Daemonic and parasitic possession are great on the predator, but I think mutated hull might be pushing it. You're spending points to keep it alive, but there comes a point where it's not cost effective to do that.

On the subject of armour, maybe try using some captured tanks if you can afford the models. The vindicator is a cost effective way to field a crisis-team annihilating demolisher cannon, and I've been told its a beast when combined with daemonic possession and parasitic possession (better than a defiler, because you get the low cost due to its cheapness.) I'm not so keen on basilisks myself, but if you play big table games they're going to be lethal.

Other than that, your list actually looks pretty good. Tau are going to be tougher than most for you because you seem to have balanced it towards the static, shooting game. A lone independent character can make for a pretty poor assault option, and I cant really see anything else in your army which can cut things up. Maybe use the points you've saved by cutting down on characters and vehicle upgrades to buy rhinos or better still infiltration, that way, you can still charge your squads in if needs be. Even if they're carrying bolters, they won't fare badly in close combat against tau.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; April 19th, 2006 at 01:06.

Just beyond the veil of reality (the darkness comes!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drop a lot of the excessive upgrades on the lord and lt and give them d. speed, d. flight, and/or infiltrate. You want them to close with the enemy and get in, close, as quickly as possible, and to make that work, you need a speed boost (particularly vs tau)

Since your IW's, take that 4th heavy support slot, a bassy works wonders for hitting suits doing the Tau shuffle.

Why chosen? Chosen not in termy armor is just extra expensive marines, you can spend the points much better elsewhere. Take some more oblits if you can (I know money's tight, but try proxying them to see what works for you) because they are excellent fire support, and switching between heavy weapons you can slaughter the tau (or anyone really)
    "And any man who comes through this fight mostly unharmed will be my sister! It'll be free frocks and jollies for ever, you'll see!"
    - Rome: Total War

my armies
    9th Black Watch (Imperial Guard) 4000 points
    Red Corsairs of Khorne 2000 points
    Space Wolves 13th Company 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Well against tau balanced armies are a bad thing. You either want to all-out assault or if you're playing Iron Warriors you go all out shooting.

The daemon Prince could probably do with daemonic speed and a kai gun will work wonders for you. (melting crisis suits). drop the Lt. altogether but if you want to use him make him a lot cheaper. A few more obliterators will help and like Ubernyaw said a bassie will help. sheer numbers of marines /w bolters is your best bet. Believe it or nor but statistically all MEQ's outshoot tau. If you have a few oblitz and a bassie to take care of crisis suits then massed bolter fire will outshoot the fire warriors.

Under no circumstances use any vehicles except the indirect bassie and indirect defiler. Anything else will just die.
    That is an excellent havoc squad there but it needs 1-3 more squad members to stop it getting blown apart.

Like i said more bolters in your army + the bassie. you dont even need cover for your marines as only the crisis suits have good ap.

PS: im sorry if this info is wrong as i havent read the new tau codex yet. This is going by the old one.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

I'm the player he always plays and it's simple why I win, he has very little mobility. He fires a huge number of lascannons from tactical squads, which my shields absorb, while his assault squads hoof it across the board and I tear them up. He needs troops with daemon speed, jump packs, bikes, anything. I play a highly maneuverable hybrid tau, and I even put slow and purposeful on my broadsides. His assault troops usually don't make it to my lines, and if they do i'm usually able to move 12" away from them. I often change the guns on my suits, but I usually run a TL plasma squad which can easily get 4 kills a turn off of marines.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go crazy with bolters. Get more oblits like the other poeple said

+ Reply to Thread