Chaos Land Raider. Tactica? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos Land Raider. Tactica?

I have one single Choas land raider and have been able to use it once. to good effect.
    I've noticed a lot of people on this forum seem to have an aversion to this unit.
    my question is. Does anyone use this particular unit, how and how effective has it been for them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

This is one of my favorite tanks, because it adds a psychological effect, and its very powerful in the game although it's expensive. Therefore, I only reccomend it in larger games where you can afford the points. When I take it, I usually have it transport something. Usually an assault squad so I can take advantage of being able to assault straight out of the Land Raider. It also has a lot of firepower, which can help too, and another reason why I like to take it.

Just be careful with it, and don't overestimate it's stability. There's weapons out there like Bright/Dark Lances that can destroy it relativley easily, so be careful. It's also expensive, so don't be careless with it either.

Cheers!
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

In space marines Land Raiders are popular because the marines love transports. It can carry a 10 man veteran squad and dish out the pain. Chaos doesnt tend towards those kinds of tactics in average games as everything in the army scares the **** out of your opponents and attracts fire rather than needing a Land raider full of vets. This lowers one of the major advantages of a land raider. Another things loyalist players tend to overlook is their predators. predators are incredible, they dish out more fire power than land raiders and with mutated hull have the same front armour...for half the price. Predators are usually noticed by chaos players and used extensively instead of land raiders.

The best real tactic for a chaos land raider is in massive games, 2.5k or more, you load it up with Tzeentch possessed /w gift of chaos and talons then send your land raider plummeting at your opponents ranks. Even if it dies its still a guarantee that you will have a massive spearhead for an assault.^_^ only good in massive games though.

In summary chaos land raiders transport expensive units when they do anything at all.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Senior Member Soviet_Tau_Commander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have the points:

Geeked out Khorne Lord, 4 Khorne Chosen Terminator Champions (also geeked out), give the LandRaider the Destroyer upgrade. Tank Shock an enemy, cause wounds, then assault it with the guys inside. Makes for a big mess. (makes for alot of poitns too.
    There once was a Lord named Vlad,
    Who's fighting skillz really were mad.
    He killed and he maimed,
    He spilled blood in Khorne's name.
    And the fact that he's legal makes me glad
    (special thanks to Uriel Zarium for the last line/touching it up)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I personally don't like the land raider, but if I was going to field them, I'd actually take two. That way, your opponent is much less likely to have the firepower to deal with them, not to mention the psychological impact.

As for using them as a transport. I wouldn't bother, the weapons are all long ranged. Just sit them at the back of the board and shoot lascannon goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

What I don't like about the Land Raider is that it seems to be straddling two roles and poorly. On one hand, it was supposed to be a super-heavy APC that could transport units safely and effectively to the front lines but on the other hand, they tried to make it into a super-heavy Tank and that's where things went horribly wrong. The Land Raider has neither enough firepower to make it a super-heavy tank nor enough carrying capacity to make it useful as a super-heavy APC. In my opinion, the Space Marine Land Raider Crusdaer was what the Land Raider was originally meant to be and it fulfills that role pretty darn well, especially in a Black Templars army where it can have a Blessed Hull to counter Lance effects.

The main reason why Chaos players don't usually use their Land Raiders is because Predators are much more versatile and much more points-efficient. I'd even take a Defiler or a Dreadnought over a Land Raider as they are both powerful vehicles in their own right, but a Land Raider costs too much and does not have a clear, focused role on the battlefield but two contradictory ones. Space Marine players, as mentioned above, tend to have the reverse problem of favouring Land Raiders over Predators. You could use it if you like but just remember not to put it in the path of Eldar Brightlances or DE Dark Lances, which will tear it to shreds in one turn. Actually, this is one of the reasons why most Dark Eldar armies inevitably include two squads of Warriors with Dark Lances: they have the potential to kill a Land Raider on Turn 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can be fun to run up a squad of 5 Khorn Champion Termies with CCWs. Thats alot of power weapon attacks. And at Init 5 if they have Furious Charge. All in all it costs like 600 points... but man... if when get there. Ouch...
    When all else fails... charge it with a Tyrant.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Not sure I got anything to contribute in this discussion, just wanted to say that I've always been an anti-LR-general. Mainly beacuse I have not had one and I have yet to see one do what it should.
    Now I do have one, so I'll use it for an überexpensive cc-squad of some sort. Chosen or Possessed, I can't really make up my mind on this.
    I don't expect it to be a gamewinner, but maybe it'll be the basket in which I can put all my eggs. The Rhino is a bit to fragile.
    I must admit that I'll prbably use it for a normal unit of Sons though... Just to be able to drive up, shoot and Charge. Could work really well...

But, all this needs to be pondered and experimented with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Well, as an old deathwing player, I have to say one thing about the landraider: Don't, unless you're playing at or above 2500pts even then, its still 10% of your points for one model, or MORE with the cool upgrades that chaos has access to.
    They're awesome, they're big, they're EXPENSIVE(both $$ and points)!
    When I used to play DW, They were just never worth it. They'd get shot up, stunned, immobilized or just plain blown up turn one. Every tough firing gun shot at it. Every time I made it into combat, the guys got killed by overwhelming numbers.

Now, when I see an oponent field a LR, I think one thing: Free points.(probably what my oponents thought back then too)
    The cool, awesome thing about landraiders.. they charge forward deploy and assault the same turn. But that leaves that one uber(point sink) squad and the LR flapping in the wind because it just moved way ahead of the rest of your forces.
    IF you make it inot combat, I guarantee I'll dogpile that one tough unit that assaulted the next turn and make sure I wipe it out with my MANY powerfist and power weapon attacks and hose down the landraider with my meltas. Bottom line, they're just plain risky.

Land raiders are cool, and if used correctly, can be good. It just comes down to: Is there something else that I can spend the points on that would make my force better than a land raider? and the answer is: YES. For the points you spend on a Landraider, you could almost get 2 predators with TLLC + HB sponsons, you could get a full Obliterator squad, You could just about get an 8 man raptor squad, another troops choice, etc. The only reason in my mind to take a landraider is for fluff and style. If that's what does it for you, then go for it!
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a landraide r from 1750pts up for my iron warriors, i make sure i use it to its full potentia;l by stuffing a 5 man termie sqad as a counter unit, at 2000points i use it in my warsmith retinue along with 4 termies 554 points on just 6 models lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast