Defiler vs. Dreadnought - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defiler vs. Dreadnought

So I'm putting together a Thousand Sons army atm, and was wondering what you forumgoers would consider a better choice between these two options. I'm running a lieutenant, not a chaos lord because it seems to me that having the extra wound isnt so critical for a dude who should be throwing bolts of change every turn anyway.

1. Two Dreadnoughts w/ lascannons and missile launchers

2. Defiler and throw some more wargear on my lord.

Or I suppose any other choice from some of you experinced chaos payers would help. I'm getting back into 40k adter a long hiatus (my last army was orks) and wanted to play an army that was both small in number as well as primarily shooty, to contrast with my last army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

depends on your army list and what you like. Also since that locked thread appears to be your 1st welcome to LO. If you do choose a defiler remember its much better with indirect. I personally advise the defiler for no real reason.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I used to post here under a different name back in high school when I played orks. I dig the forums here. The locked post intro was kind of amusing however. I knew the codex said something about it somewhere and I basically looked everywhere *but* that page.

The tables I play on are relatively small, and if I take indirect fire I am limited to a minimum range of 3 feet. I'm not so sure that is a good idea. Originally I looked at the chapter specific dreadnoughts from forgeworld and drooled, but I'm leaning towards the defiler as it is just so good at taking out marines.

I haven't used much ordnance (my ork army didn't have any) so what is a reasonable range for the amount of models that you can fit under the 5" radius ordnance template? If I can figure that out I can run the numbers and figure out which one is actually numerically better.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 1k sons vehicle ability is great. Every model takes a Strength D6 attack!

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

The choice must depend on your own army and what you face. If you often encounter AV14 tanks I'd say ...none of the ones but a all-out lascannon Predator. If you keep the Dreads CC-weapon and give him a lascannon, he'll be good for a bit of both. But my favourite is indeed the Defiler.
    Such a large model with such a large template, it's pure joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go with two dreads with the Las/ML combo. They work well and you will always get to move and shoot. I prefer the four shots over one pie plate....but I use two dreads and a defiler in my 1850-2000 pts lists. This question has been discussed multiple times since I have been reading this forum. Lots of people swear by the Pred w/TLLC and LC sponsons. TS don't have tons of targets for the anti-tank weapons to fire at. If the pred starts in cover your only getting off two LC shots the round you move out. Then you could be wide open. I know it boils down to tactics but I hate to pay for a gun that I won't get to shoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are missunderstanding the indirect fire upgrade. If you buy it, much recommended, you are NOT limited to firing indirect and the 3' minimum range. If you have LOS on something, you shoot normal. I use a defiler in my main undevided army. I always dedploy him waaaay back in the corver behind a peace of cover. Even on a 4x4 he can lob a couple shots across the board at stuff. Being a walker, he can spend one turn walking into the cover, fire the side guns out of the cover. Now next turn he has line of sight.

But it depends on whether or not you have other heavy weapons in your army. If these are going to be your only heavy hitters, then I might suggest 2 dreads with lascannons. My defiler is my only heavy, buy I have 3 oblits, so I have 3 more lascannons there, or what ever weapon I need. But I have not played with dreads yet, and chaos dreads do have that frenzy roll every turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the entry in the codex specifically states that it *changes* the weapon to have a range of 3ft. to what its maximum range is (can't post that i guess.... but it's a battle cannon so go figure).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux
    But the entry in the codex specifically states that it *changes* the weapon to have a range of 3ft. to what its maximum range is (can't post that i guess.... but it's a battle cannon so go figure).

Well I have been playing it as it still has the normal shooting ranges, for LOS. And if no LOS then you are using the Indirect fireing ranges. You are adding paying the points to add the functionality of firing indirectly, not "only" fireing indirectly.

Everyone in my area plays them that way as well.

+ Reply to Thread