Raptor assault weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raptor assault weapons

Hi. I was wondering, because raptors can take 3 assault weapons and can hit and run is it advantageous to give them 2 meltas and a flamer? I am trying to make a night lord list and I am a little concerned about armies like Orks or Genestealers who prefer close combat and can win by attrition. The squads in question are as follows:
    7x Raptors
    +Furious Charge
    +Infiltrate
    +2x Melta Guns
    ++Champ
    ++Power Sword
    ++Strength
    293pts

6x Raptors
    +Furious Charge
    +Infiltrate
    +2x Melta Guns
    ++Champ
    ++Power Sword
    ++Strength
    258pts

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

I personally think MoCU is better than furious charge but I may be wrong on that point. I've never seen a night lords army in action. Those squads look pretty good.

With your question I'd take 1 squad of 3 meltaguns and the other /w 2 flamers. This way they each do their seperate thing without wasting firepower. Meltagun Raptors are usually better than flamers but since you have 2 squads, 1 of each is fine.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im pritty shure you cant take infiltrate due to the D. Flight (followes jump pack rules) so you save yourself some points on those raptors.

As per your question: the 7 man troop would benifit the flamer more due to the fact that agenst horde armies you need to get close in for those flamers to be effective, not only that but your chaces of surviving cc to run away will be improves slightly.

Whereas the squad with 6 should have the meltas and stick to the forests and other terrain to pop the tanks.

Also MoCU would be beneficial to both squads allowing you to re-roll failed leadership tests.

Hope it helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Watusa
    Im pritty shure you cant take infiltrate due to the D. Flight (followes jump pack rules) so you save yourself some points on those raptors.
    There's no rule that states you can't infiltrate if you have Jump Packs.

The problem with Flamers is that they'll often leave your Raptors out of assault range. Remember that although you have a wonderful movement range, your assault range is still as low as anyone else's and the flamer template often dictates how close you want to be. A crafty opponent will typically remove the closest models, leaving your Raptors out of assault range and out in the open ready for blasting.

I'm with LordLink - best to use one squad as pure Flamers and the other as Meltas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your feedback.
    In that case I think I use a bike squad with a flamer and lightning claw champ. Against light or medium infantry those twin linked bolter shots and extra toughness will probrably be more advantagious. Is this a better option than a raptor squad with flamers?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

You know, I'm not entirely convinced a raptor squad with flamers would be a great idea.
    Its negating their hit and run ability a bit, doesn't it?

The cool thing I see about hit and run is that you maintain the charge initiative the whole time, even if you do get whittle down, you're dictating the charge.

As was said, if you have to deploy back a bit and flame, it puts you out of charge range.
    leaving your 30+points a model dangling in the wind.

I have always seen flamers as not worth taking unless you know you will be facing horde type armies where the AP can really do some damage. Not that 3 flamers on marines wouldn't cause a lot of wounds, on the contrary. I think it depends on what you decide to do with the raptors. I use mine to hunt the really tough stuff like terminators and tanks, where anything but meltas and plasma really isn't really effective, and I'm not willing to risk overheat on a 40+ points per guy..
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

+ Reply to Thread