New to Nurgle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Nurgle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Nurgle

Alright, so I had an auction at my local workshop today and was hoping to get some serious ultramarine units but all this little kids with their 100K a year salary making parents were there buying scouts for like 50 bucks a blister... BUT on the bright side I was told that they had a STACK of chaos stuff to get rid of.. mostly Death Guard. So now, you have a new chaos convert. Anyway

I got 1 box of Death Guard havoks, 4 boxes of plague marines, 4 or 5 blisters of deathguard champs and I think like 3 special weapons Death guard blisters for the sum of about 200 bucks. Now, I have the codex in PDF format on my computer which is making it hard to flip through the pages (was gonnna buy an almost mint copy of the codex but again.. little 5 year old with glasses and daddy's wallet paid damn near full price for it so i'm gonna have to wait until next week)

Anyway. My havoks are assembled, really not much variety to be put in with them. I have the champ that came with them with your basic bolter close combat weapon. But now that i'm getting to my regular troops and my 4 other champs I'd like to know what you guys recommend for equipment. I'm really not sure what I can and cant' pick from the armory, it's all pretty new and confusing to me. But yeah, recommendations would be pretty sweet.

Cheers,

Me

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Well unless your a very patient person I would advise buying the codex. There are so many rules quirks in chaos that only Caluin can remember them all.

When you play death guard you have a choice to make.

Do I want a static army?
    Do I want an infiltrating army?

For the infiltrating army you will need a lot of plague marines and a champion /w nurgles rot for each squad. Also each squad should have either 2 plasma's or melta's. A manreapered lord /w stature is also important. Basically the idea is to rapid-fire them to death and use true grit to beat them. You outshoot them, you out cc them, you are more resilient, you are more maneuverable. Thats what your aiming for with an infiltrating list. Oh and by the way everything buys infiltrate.

With a static list you need either 3 preadators, or 2 predaotrs and a defiler. Either a cheap lord or a daemon prince. A few nurglings, an infiltrating plasma havoc squad, then as many plague marines as your points will allow. The idea is to force them to come to you then cut them down with superior fire-power. You should then have enough strong troops to smash their assault.

PS: be sure to join the chaos project at the top of this page!!!
    Last edited by LordLink; May 21st, 2006 at 04:23.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink
    Well unless your a very patient person I would advise buying the codex. There are so many rules quirks in chaos that only Caluin can remember them all.

When you play death guard you have a choice to make.

Do I want a static army?
    Do I want an infiltrating army?

For the infiltrating army you will need a lot of plague marines and a champion /w nurgles rot for each squad. Also each squad should have either 2 plasma's or melta's. A manreapered lord /w stature is also important. Basically the idea is to rapid-fire them to death and use true grit to beat them. You outshoot them, you out cc them, you are more resilient, you are more maneuverable. Thats what your aiming for with an infiltrating list. Oh and by the way everything buys infiltrate.

With a static list you need either 3 preadators, or 2 predaotrs and a defiler. Either a cheap lord or a daemon prince. A few nurglings, an infiltrating plasma havoc squad, then as many plague marines as your points will allow. The idea is to force them to come to you then cut them down with superior fire-power. You should then have enough strong troops to smash their assault.

PS: be sure to join the chaos project at the top of this page!!!
    Ok, but my original question is still as follows.. I'm going to have 9 Aspiring champs total due to what I bought at auction. How should I configure THEM. The squads i'll learn about later really, not much I can do other than give them all a Bolter and CC weapon. It's the champs I wanna really beef up with whatever I can from the armory, I just don't know what's the best deal. I don't know who can hold manreapers, Plague swords or anything else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

manreaper is a daemon weapon and you only get 1 of them per army. Almost always on a lord or Lt.

For AC's you get to decide whether you want plague swords or power fists, nothing else. I personally prefer power fists but thats up to you. If you choose plague swords then you will also need daemonic strength. All your AC's should have nurgles rot. Other than that theres not really anything that should be on them. If you really want to go to town then I guess mutation would be next on the list.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink
    manreaper is a daemon weapon and you only get 1 of them per army. Almost always on a lord or Lt.

For AC's you get to decide whether you want plague swords or power fists, nothing else. I personally prefer power fists but thats up to you. If you choose plague swords then you will also need daemonic strength. All your AC's should have nurgles rot. Other than that theres not really anything that should be on them. If you really want to go to town then I guess mutation would be next on the list.
    That's much better thanks. I have enough of them that I can do a couple of them with plague swords and I think I have one powerfist on my havoc squad sprue.

I regret being nice and letting some other guy get the other havok squad now... makes me sad that Nurgle havoks are only gonna be special order now . But I go alot for like 170 bucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Good advice has been given so far.

Not too much that I can add to the hth weapon choices for Nurgle aspiring champions. Its pretty straight forward, either take a power fist or a plague sword and daemon strength.

For ranged weapons, always go with what the rest of the squad will be armed with.

Ie: a bolter if the squad has bolters(remember, with True Grit on your Nurgle marines, a bolter is fine as long as you are going to be charged anyways.)

A bolt pistol if your squad is going to be charging.

I personally tend to avoid putting plasma weapons of any kind in a Nurgle list out of personal bias(ie: since the overheating 'by-passes' the plague marines toughness and has just as good a chance of killing him as a less expensive CSM), but you may find a plasma pistol useful since your list will always have trouble with vehicles and every little bit helps.

As to further upgrades or wargear:

Infiltrate on the AC/squad if you plan to use them as a early on shooting squad which will force the enemy to engage you, so you can use your true grit/power fist combo.

Perhaps furious charge if the squad is tooled up for assaults with bolt pistols and the AC already has the plague sword/daemon strength. Just remember that this option needs a deployment vector: Rhino/infiltrate/possessed flying and as such can get very expensive.

If you have a squad that doesn't have a transport or infiltrate, consider throwing a Chaos Spawn on the champion. They look neat, have the same save and toughness as the squad, and add considerably to their hth combat potential.

On a squad infiltrating already, and provided that you have some Nurgle Terminators, consider modelling a teleport homer on the AC of the infiltrating squad.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Real Death Guard Havoks? The ones you can no longer buy in GW online store, only some bits of them using search? Man, you're lucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onodera
    Real Death Guard Havoks? The ones you can no longer buy in GW online store, only some bits of them using search? Man, you're lucky.
    Hmm.. no wonder that other guy REALLY wanted them... had i have known they were so hard to get I would have told him to go put it in his rear.

I don't feel totally bad though. I have 10 havok/special weapons models in total. plus 4 boxes of regular death guard marines and 4 champions from blisters. So I have more than enough for field 1 havok squad and 4 favored troops. Just wish I had more chaos powefists only 1 and it came with the havok squad.
    Last edited by jackofasses; May 21st, 2006 at 19:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I'm actually wrong. You *can* buy DG Havocs in UK store, but they cost 30 pounds (~56USD) for a 5 man squad:
    http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...047&orignav=10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onodera
    I'm actually wrong. You *can* buy DG Havocs in UK store, but they cost 30 pounds (~56USD) for a 5 man squad:
    http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefr...047&orignav=10

Yeah, that's alot of money.. kinda like how the nid biovore jumped from 15 bucks to 30 overnight. That's the equivalent of 7.5 pounds to 15 pounds overnight.. pretty stupid if you ask me. But yeah, the box of havoks cost me about 15 pounds (31 canadian dollars) I had won a second one for 26 I think it was but some guy was crying about it so I traded him that havok squad for a group of regular marines to shut him up. I don't like to piss off people i'll be gaming with. Last thing I want is a reputation as a bad gamer.. kinda sad though since he's like 40 and married and has a house and a better job than me that he wanted to whine about it, but anyway. I still think I got a good deal. Havoks go for somewhere around 40 dollars a box here I think.. so it wasn't too bad. The regular Plague marines I got for about 17 canadian dollars each, versus the 45 that we normally pay I think I did pretty sweet. And the blisters.. I got them all for about 16 bucks for packs of 3 (generally a champ and 2 special weapons) so it was like buying a pack of special weapons then getting the other blister of specials and the champ for free. God I love auctions.. still wish I had kept that other havok squad though.. Dah well.. Got 'em all cept for 1 box :shifty:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast