Equipping Alpha Legion cultists- - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Equipping Alpha Legion cultists-

I was pondering over the next ineviatable phase of my army list, Cultists!

They are allowed a very limited amount of wargear but have a AC's limit on daemonic gifts.
    I was hit with this possibility
    Spikey bits, D.Talons, D. Mutation, D.Strength. That's 5 (6with re-roll) strength 5 rending attacks on the charge! With 20 ablative wounds protecting him, I think it has some great potential.
    Has anyone tried this and seen if it works?
    I'd be very interested to know how you Alpha players out there kit out your cultist champions.

Thanks

W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ummm my codex says they can only take things from the weapons list and gifts count towards your wargear limit anyway so that would not work.
    Last edited by Chaosgod; June 5th, 2006 at 21:06.
    It doesn't think, it doesn't feel,
    It doesn't laugh or cry.
    All it does, from dusk 'till dawn,
    Is make the soldiers die.

Commander Cyrus's Black Legion. W1/D0/L1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Well, I the cult champions have access to the armory as a character, but are limited in the amount of points they can take from the weapons list. As a non lord character they still have up to 75 points of total wargear, and up to 50 from daemonic gifts.

I could be completely wrong, but that's how I read it. It'll just be a matter of time before cal comes in and confirms. :nods:

--edited--
    I remember reading about something like this in an earlier discussion, but after doing some searches, I can't locate the thread. Please let me know if this is legal.
    Last edited by theyak; June 5th, 2006 at 20:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to say, but you are incorrect. In the text for the Alpha Legion cultists, it specifically states that a cultist champion can take up to 10 points of wargear. Nothing else, meaning no gifts since it was wargear not gifts, and it's only 10 points.

I'm making cultists myself and I'm making a few different champions for different options that seem good. A squad with meltabombs and the Champion has a combi melta(10pts) and a squad with frag grenages, champion with power weapon(5pts).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

The wording is indeed very confusing, it says.

Cult Champions have access to the armoury. They may take 10 points from the weapons limit.

If we take the two as seperate statements, i.e. they can access the armoury, but they can only take 10 points of weapons then yeah, this combo is legal.

If we take the second statement as a quantifier of the first, which I believe is what's intended, it means that champions have access to the armoury in that they can take 10 point of weapons. It doesn't say anything about daemonic gifts wargear, so presumably they can't have them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385 (x8)

The thing I see though, is that none of the other sections for CSM troops, or any other section under character says anything about getting or not getting gifts and such. All of them state that the character may select additional equipment from the chaos armory, and under the armory states that all characters limits for wargear and gifts.

The way I read it is that Cultist champions are characters(75/50 limits-pg14 chaos codex quantifies wargear limits all other characters at the bottom box). He may have up to 10 points of wargear from the weapons lists(this limits the choices in the weapons section.)

Now the last time I brought up a similar debate on reasonable inferrence of rules and intentions of rules I got a whole lot of people that got agitated by not reading PRECISELY what it says and not inferring anything from the rules.

There is nothing that states that it limits the amount of daemonic gifts that a cultist champion can take, just how many points in weapons it can take which are separate sections in the Chaos armory.

Otherwise instead of stating that the "Cultist champion has access to the chaos armory", it would have stated that "Cultist champions have access to 10 points of weapons from the chaos armory."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

If Cultist champions were not allowed to have Daemonic Gifts, then the statement would have read - "Cult Champions may select up to 10 points of weapons from the Chaos armoury." That is much like how Mutant Bosses from the LaTD are worded.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    It doesn't say anything about daemonic gifts wargear, so presumably they can't have them.
    Ah, but it does say they can have them. The first sentence says they have access to the armoury.

In any case, I do agree the wording is very confusing, but I prefer to err on the side of "read it exactly as it's printed."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm you guys make very good points, I just didn't read it that way. I have to agree, a cultist champion is a character. Per the 'dex, characters get, I think, 50 points of deamonic gifts. So he gets the allowed points for gifts, and ONLY 10 points for weapons.

+ Reply to Thread