Death Guard Speed? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death Guard Speed?

I was thinking of making a Death Guard army with lots of infultration and some heavy support backup to make up for their lack of heavy weapons. But, I'm not really sure how to compensate for their lack of speed.

Lets say I had around 300-400 points to play with, what would make a good quick unit? It seems like I'm pretty hamstrung by Death Guards lack of Fast Attack Options or good Deamons.

Chosen Bikers seem like a big waste.
    Posessed can take flight, but cannot take Infultrate and are a costly option.
    Landraider is an option...a really expensive one.
    One or two Rhinos is like asking for Rolling Coffins.

...It might happen that there is no really good awnser? >_<

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Ok, I'd go with a Daemonic Speed Daemon Prince. 24" of move is quite fast.

If not Plague Bearers are nice and tough at least, good enough to go through most light enemy units or at least hold them up.

Death Coffins or Rhino's are a choice of last resort in my book. Land Raiders are jack of 2 trades, bad at both and too easy to kill for xxxpts.

I don't have the 'Dex on me can DG even take Bikers/Raptors. I thought they were restricted.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Wings
    I don't have the 'Dex on me can DG even take Bikers/Raptors. I thought they were restricted.
    You can still take Chosen and mount them on a bike, but that means they'll all have to be Champions and they'll waste the toughness bonus granted by the MoN. A sheer waste of points.

Every army has a negative. Death Guard just happens to be that they're slow. Much like 1K Sons. Beyond smart Infiltration and Rhinos, you really don't have much of an option.

One thing to consider is playing a Nurgle heavy Black Legion list. You'll lose the free Champions and summoning bonus, but can open up access to Raptors or fast Daemons, like Furies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont actualy think that you can have chosen with bikes. But I would say that possesed with wings would be good.
    Otherwise i would go with deamonic speed
    Lord of the nurgalings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    You can still take Chosen and mount them on a bike, but that means they'll all have to be Champions and they'll waste the toughness bonus granted by the MoN. A sheer waste of points.
    Ah, that would be why I never see it then. Chosen Bke squads always end up too expensive and plasma bait. Go Daemonic Speed.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As it is I was planning on having a D. Speed Lord. But I wanted to keep him an I.C. so I just gave him Infultration and threw the Manreaper, Mutation, Spikey Bits and a few other goodies on em. He's not even a Deamon Prince (about 160pts?) and that suits me, my whole army theme is infultration anyway. I may end up with rolling coffins anyway, or just throw a unit of Terminators on the list and deep strike them.

I also have a unit of nurglings for various roles, one of em being cover should I want to march my Lord up the board on an Alpha mission. I just dont like Deamon Princes (with Stature) that much they seem like fire magnets?

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I must say something about Rhinos. People dismiss them since the new rulebook arrived but to me thay are still quite good. OK, I play Thousand Sons so infiltrate is out of the question, but I would still use Rhinos if I could Infiltrate. (not as my only mean of getting close but still)
    The Rhino could be used for oh so many different evil tasks. Sure you can ride in it but that's not all. It's grreat as a mobile shield and has more then once saved it's points worth of other models.
    You can rush it forward only to attract fire.
    You can (if you are truely evil) use it to block line of sight to any part of that enemy unit that is not IC's or carrying evil weapons such as powerfists.
    Tankrush.
    Lock units in bad spots, they'll have to destroy that rhino to pass.
    It's more then a transport, it's a unit on it's own.

...did I mention I cannot infiltrate...

Quote Originally Posted by Mortarion
    I dont actualy think that you can have chosen with bikes.
    They can, if the are champions, buy their bikes from the armoury.
    Last edited by Andusciassus; June 10th, 2006 at 00:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Rhinos are HARDLY coffins. If used correctly, they are an ideal transport. I always have my squads loaded up in 'em with smoke and extra armour. That comes out to 58 points a piece for moving your squads 12 inches a turn and messing up the enemy's plans once your squads are out. You really only need the rhinos for one or two turns, or until your squads are out, then you roll them around the board and cut off fire lanes and what not. Personally, I wouldnt go into battle without them. On top of that, get a lord with speed and youre good to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a side note, I wish Nurgle got a deamon that did something besides die slowly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Infiltrating is more of a Night Lords thing with the 40 raptors in-your-face first turn. I can see how this will work but, (not sure if you can, codex is upstairs and I don't feel like getting it.) infiltrate 5 havoks with 4 meltas. It's fun and funny when half of the opponents tanks get crushed in by a 4 guys.

I'm back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast