Librarium Online Forums banner

Help me choose!!!

702 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Dasqueek-Master Assassin 
#1 ·
Hey guys , i normally play necrons(5000pts) and templars, but im looking for something new.
I love slannesh, and khorne but i have mixed feelings about both:
SLANNESH
on the positive:
- I love slannesh's fluff and modeling possibilities
- I love their special weapons( sonic blasters, Blastmasters, doom sirens)
-Their wargear like most chaos armies' makes their champions combat monsters( combat drugs, doom sirens, Warp scream)

on the negative:
- bit are so G*d d**n ( this may not seem like cussing for most of u, but where im from its as bad as u can get) expensive:x (eventhought they rock:yes: )
-i dont know how to formulate a list correctly

KHORNE
on the positive:
- Close combat monsters, all around
- huge characters

On the negative:
- the whole not alot of tank busting scares me
- My friends tell me they can lead a khorne army around by the nose easily, not making it any fun to play at all:(

Could u help me with a decision? anything would help

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, as I always say when people in my playgroup want to switch armies, but have no idea what to switch to, "It all depends on what type of play you want." It really does. Slaanesh focuses on Close ranged fire support and CLose Comabt adequacy, while with Khorne, you simply throw strategy to the wind and charge. being a Khorne Player myself, I must say, The legions of the BLood God can be pretty fun to watch (Especially when 3 Berserkers took out 1 and a half squads of guardsmen in two rounds of combat, and then the rest flee.) I can't really say if Slaanesh is fun or not, not playing it, but I can almost assure you it is a rewarding army to play, just from what my veteran friend tells me about his "Glory Days". Anyway, I hope this has helped, and Death to the False Emporer!

#3 ·
Wow...out of just those two i would go slannesh just because their abilities are so fun to play! Khorne is cool i guess but the army is almost the same every time. CC and a little range...thats it! Thats all it will ever be! Much much Much easier to go Slannesh so you can mix it up try new things and new army lists. Plus From what you wrote in the post all you want to play Khorne for is to win. I mean yes it is good to win but there is not as much modeling, like you said for slannesh, and to help you even more it doesn't take much to learn how to make a list for them. i started on Eldar...probably one of the hardest races for a noob in the game to learn..just have fun with it and play Slannesh much more there i think.

#4 ·
This is how i see it.

Emperor's Children
+Good cc abilities
+Very good shoting
-Low favored number
-Powerfists don't tally up with their fluffy speed
You can play theese guys as a shooty, cc oriented, or a balanced type army.

World Eaters
+Amazing in cc
-Lack of tank busting
-Lack of shooting
-Get boring after a while
Running straight at your opponent, trying to get into cc every single game gets boring quickly. With the $$$ people drop to start playing this game, they should go for an army that can be played in different ways every time. I just don't see that in WE.

I'd go with Emperor's Children.

#5 ·
WOW thanks for so many responses so quickly!!:yes:
I really do like both armies, i dont want to play khorne to just win, i usually just play for fun .
I think i would love to swing dozens of attacks with khorne, but like ya'll said it kind of one army list.
slannesh is balaned but i kind of need some help on how to utilize that power.
(i proxied a slannesh army yesterday at 1500 pts against orks and won but it was a little hairy, mostly cause of bad dice rolling.)
my list looked a little like this
--------------
keeper
6 man cc squadx3
6 man shooty squadx2
6 man havoc squad(Blastmasters) x2
--------------
I think i should have kept my cc squads grouped tighter to hit 1 squad at a time but ... what can u do

I think i might proxy a khorne army soon and see how i like it
Any suggestions???:wacko:

#7 ·
I just came onto EC from necrons, and it really is a different style of play. Actually getting attacks before things other than powerfists is still a novelty for me... And the sheer customisability of everything is great. Somehow, i don't see Khorne being quite the same, as it's basically tool up on 'zerkers, point them in a direction, and charge.

#8 ·
Both armies are balanced. I like to think of armies having a sort of equasion to them.
X+Y*D= P
X= Ease of use
Y= Player Skill
D= Army Difficulty
P= Overal Power of your army in a battle.

World eaters have a high X stat, they carry themselves well on their own, and have a lower D stat.
Conversly Dark Eldar have a low X stat, and a Hight D stat. They are difficult to use, but respond quite well when you outplay your opponent.
They typical EC army falls somewhere in between the two.

Your skill does matter in a world eater army, you skill will show: having a well built list is a big factor for them, then there is deployment, choice of targets when you do have the choice, how you move non-raging units. All these come together beyond the rage. On the other hand, there is a certian amount of controll you're giving up to the dice gods too. There are a lot of very tactical player that enjoy World Eaters for the Challenge they provide.

I'm not telling you to go with either option, I'm telling you to go with the choice that matches your playstyle the most. They're both great lists, pick the one you like.

#9 ·
Exactly as JORMAGI said. Even if WE only have 1 way to play successfully (Most of the time), it dosn't mean the army is outstandingly easy to win with or gets boring very quickly. ASLso like JORMAGI said, Khornate armies require a certian amount of player skill to get the most out of Deployment and target selection. In the end, I think that both armies are fun, versatile (fairly), and solid.

#10 ·
the versatility of slannesh makes them a little more favored in my eyes.
but something like an all biker khorne force could be cool too.

From a modeling stand point i like slannesh mre, they just seem to present so many options ( like a chosen retinue for lucious) as a modeler i love the character they put out.
Khorne, not so much, all i see with them is blood and skulls( not nececarrily a bad thing) (i painted a khorne lord for the golden deamon, it also won some local painting competitions). But i dont see them as being as flexible when it comes to the modeling angle
Confusing :wacko:
can anyone send me a link to some cool khorne or slannesh armies( i love John Tompson's EC from the 2003 grand tournament at warhammer world)
Thanks guys

#11 ·
I disagree. Khorne is hugely flexible when it comes to modeling. I have a Worldeaters army of over 6000 points and almost allof them have been converted in some way.
The options for for sticking extra spikes and cutting instruments on thier weapons to make them into psychotic butchering tools is almost limitless.

Also Worldeaters get thier own plastic boxed set which can be mixed with the standard Chaos marine set to give a huge spread of modeling options.

Khorne are bloodthirsty killers but they are also very devout worshippers.
This means a kind of religous, how shall I put it, Black templar look can be given to them.
This does not mean calm but can be used to imply an intense devotion. Most religeons differ from one follower to the next and Khorne will provide more chances to exploit this.

#12 ·
WOW!! what a great way to look at it from a modeling stand point.
I've been in the game for almost 6 yrs now, and i like to think more about how the army will look as oposed to how it will preform. ( but again i am a gamer so preformance is important to me too, just modeling comes first. even if i lose miserably every time but i kill a few things and get complimented on my army it was all worth it :yes: )
on the zerkers, do the legs look kind goofy, from what i remember they look like kinda stupid. would assault marine legs be better?)
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.