Quetions about marks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quetions about marks

I read my CSM codex about 7,8 times, but there are still questions left, i think it s the fault of the english-to-man translation, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Giving marks to Obliberators (?) is impossible, but they still can be wielded in marked armies.

Giving a mark is not necessary.

The designatinion of an army as a army of 1k sons, World eaters, Emperor's children and death guard has only fluff use and brings restrictions, since giving the HQ-choice the mark of (f.I. Khorne) gives you the same advantage (Khorn Berserker as Troops), but you can still wield normal unmarked (and chaos undivided) as troops.

These are the questions I can'tfigure out on my own, since it's written in a rather cryptic way in my german codex, or I seem to overread some important lines. Hope you can share your widsom and that I did not break any rules with this post.

Sure dying is hard, but if you stay true to the Imperium, you get used to it. - Ulrich, Emperor's Champion, while getting knocked out, killing three traitor Black Templar Terminators.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Somewhere within the dark deeps of oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Welcome to LO!

No obliterators can't have marks and you can't have them in marked armys if you play "pure" but if you play undivided you can have them.

No giving marks is not necessary.

Yes if the HQ has mark of khorne then khorne berzerkers (chaos marines with mark of khorne) counts as troops, but if the HQ has the mark of chaos undivided the berzerkers counts as elites.

Hope I've answerd you'r questions in a sufficient way.

~Zartas, first angel to fall from the grace of heaven
    Last edited by Zartas; June 18th, 2006 at 13:34.
    Long ago there was something in me, but now that thing is gone,
    I cannot cry, I cannot care, that thing will come back no more.

If you like someone's post and/or found it useful please add to their reputation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Gyoukou
    The designatinion of an army as a army of 1k sons, World eaters, Emperor's children and death guard has only fluff use and brings restrictions, since giving the HQ-choice the mark of (f.I. Khorne) gives you the same advantage (Khorn Berserker as Troops), but you can still wield normal unmarked (and chaos undivided) as troops.
    Zartas touched on the other thing correctly, but I wanted to add to this. There is a benefit to playing Cult armies. The benefits are listed in the Books of Chaos, right at the end. Typically these bonuses are free Champions for favoured units and bonuses to summoning rolls, but the Emperor's Children happens to have one extra bonus that most people forget about.

Other than that, however, there's no real reason to play a cult army over a Black Legion list. It's mostly for style. But in Warhammer, style tends to go a long ways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

There are several types of armies.

First you have the basic Chaos:
    Black Legion: This army follows the rules exactly as they are stated in the codex. You may mark (or leave unmarked) things however you would like with one exception. If your HQ has a mark from one of the major Gods, you cannot use the mark that is that Gods ancient enemy.

Then you have the undivided Cults: Alpha Legion, Night Lords, Iron Warriors. Squads from these armies may be unmarked, or have the mark of Chaos Undivided, buy may not have any other mark.

Finally you have the Cult Legions: World Eaters, Emporers Children, Death Guard, and Thousand Sons. These armies MUST have the Mark of chaos that matches the god they worship on all their squads. This reduces their flexablity, but they recieve benifits that give them a price break in return.
    Votewar MKV 2nd place. . .

Back from internet limbo, and glad to be here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx that'S nearly too much info, as sad i know my stuff but the translations seems to be faulty:

@ caulinn: see, my codex says that they already get the bonus if they are marked, not when the army as a whole is dedicated, it explicitly says (well rough translation):each favoured unit gets a free AC without paying his costs, refer to marked units (in german as in marked units): meaning in my translation you get no benefit AT ALL (same for blessed demons). But well, I too go for the style

but the Emperor's Children happens to have one extra bonus that most people forget about.
    you talk about predators and dreadnoughts? That's the only advantage I have seen a "god-dedicated" army gets.

One Question remains: let'S say my HQ-Choice is Slaneesh, are my undived and/or unmarked chaos units elite?

Thanks for being helpful.
    Last edited by Gyoukou; June 18th, 2006 at 20:35.
    Sure dying is hard, but if you stay true to the Imperium, you get used to it. - Ulrich, Emperor's Champion, while getting knocked out, killing three traitor Black Templar Terminators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

@ caulinn: see, my codex says that they already get the bonus if they are marked, not when the army as a whole is dedicated, it explicitly says (well rough translation):each favoured unit gets a free AC without paying his costs, refer to marked units (in german as in marked units): meaning in my translation you get no benefit AT ALL (same for blessed demons). But well, I too go for the style
    I've heard some strange reports about the German translation. It doesn't surprise me. You can take my word however that you only get the free Champions and summoning bonuses if you're playing a pure cult army, where all of your units are Marked.

One Question remains: let'S say my HQ-Choice is Slaneesh, are my undived and/or unmarked chaos units elite?
    No, they'd stay in their regular FO slot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Basically, No.

Page 38 'the force organisation chart' 2nd-4th lines (In the english version)
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big thank you at everyone involved.Beware of translations, they may bite you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the questions were answered. But I would like to add one regarding benefits of a cult army.
    Are cult armies the only way to summon the greater deamons? Or can an undevided army have a god marked squad summon the deamon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

The Black Legion and Word Bearers are both able to summon any Greater Daemon. The other Undivided Cult armies aren't allowed Greater Daemons.

+ Reply to Thread