Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
It’s just recently that I decided to give 40k a try and decided to play WE, because I had read a 40k novel where the Khorne warriors sounded interesting. So I’m still in the early process of buying and painting and since I’ve decided to buy one thing and then paint it before I buy a new, it will take a while. But I want to put an 1850 pts WE army together so I know exactly what to buy etc and in that process I’ve stumbled over a couple of questions I hoped some of you guys could answer.
1. I only got three groups of berzerkers in my army so far (8 man grps), and two grps of bloodletters (8 each grp). Would it be better to drop one of the bloodletter grps and add a zerker grp more? Because I’m not sure if three grps of zerkers will be enough in a 1850pts army.
2. Knowing that I need something that can actually shoot, I had first planned on taking 2x Dreads with lascannons. But the point cost is to much compared to a Pred with lascannons, so would it work if I took one Pred and one Dread. Or would the Pred just get blown up in first round, so I shouldn’t bother?…
3. I want at least one Dread in the army, esp since I’m playing a WE army. Is it worth taking Autocannon on it or should I just throw in a extra close combat weapon?
4. Is a bike squard of six to many or two few? (or alright)
Just want to make sure I dont make some stupid newbie choices, which I could have prevented.
Last edited by xarosh; June 28th, 2006 at 16:23.
1. I would take an extra group of berzerkers, or expand the sizes of the groups you have, in favor of the bloodletters. The bloodletters are so expensive you might be able to do both by dropping one squad.
2. If you think preds get popped fast, dreads get it even faster. I'd definatly recommed the las pred. This also tyes in with your last question: dreads usually get popped before CC, so I'd take the autocannon to make sure he does something before getting killed.
Chief Inspector Dreyfus: Are you wounded?
Clouseau: No. Fortunately I was saved by the darkness.
Chief Inspector Dreyfus: So what we need is more light.
4. There is an excellent tacita on these mighty forums about Chaos bikers, I suggest you read it and decide for yourself what you want. Bikes can be surprisingly flexible depending on the role you want them to perform.
LO RulesOriginally Posted by AnonymousOriginally Posted by Cyric
Being a dyed in the (red) wool WE player here's some advice I can offer you:
1. Bloodletters are great and 24 power weapon attacks on the charge is truly frightening.
One squad is probably enough at least until you get used to how they work tactically. They can be a little flaky. You may see them show up at the wrong time and the wrong place in which case they may never make it to the battle.
That said I would never go into battle without at least one squad. They don't always win back their points but sometimes they can turn a battle in your favor. I would get one squad and try them out in lower point games (1000 or so) to see if you like using them and get the hang of the tactics. If you really like the way they work for you then get more otherwise fill the slot with more beserkers.
About beserkers: this army, like most, thrives on troops. You will have arguably the best CC troops in the game and the more the merrier (for you anyway). WE are not a shooty army in the best of configurations and you can't afford mass casualties like a tyranid player can. The more boots you can get on the ground the more casualties you can take and still get enough models into CC where you will proceed to mop up the table. There are differing opinions about squad sizes: 8 or 16. A 16 man squad can take more casualties and remain a viable scoring unit while a bunch of 8 man squads force the opponent to spread their fire possibly allowing some squads to make it to CC virtually unscathed. Smaller squads allow for more tactical flexibility, more icons for daemon summoning and more champions. Larger squads are harder to kill off allowing them to survive longer as a scoring unit and can often engage more than one enemy squad in CC at once. Ultimately none of this effects how many models you buy, just how you use them.
2 & 3. Dreads or preds: Well, I've been running two dreads, one with lascannon and one with plasma cannon for a while now and I have to say they aren't working out all that well for me. Since dreads tend to be dual purpose, they're potential is half wasted at any point in the game. I'm planning to shake things up and run a CC dread and a tank hunting pred in future. Each model will then have a distinct role to play and I'll improve my anti-tank ability considerably. The CC dread will be able to move up behind cover (ideally) and hopefully avoid too much enemy shooting before it gets into CC. Scary things like CC dreads can become fire magnets which can be beneficial in it's own way.
4. The size of bike squads really depends on what you plan on doing with them. The few times I've run bikes it's been less than stellar but I'm sure that's just my ineptness. As my distinguished colleague Karmoon said, there's a great bike tactica here:
Hope this helps!
Last edited by JDSampo; June 28th, 2006 at 17:36.
Get a pred, they seem to work out well for most people. as for the dread, its a toss up, two dreads, dont do that, bad idea. for one dread, i'd go plasma and missile launcher for troop kill or lascannon and dread weapon for power killing (IC's and tanks).
1) They are both very expensive units. It would go either way. I would take more daemons because they tend to survive longer than the marines.
2)Defilers work better. Can't be shaken or stunned. The only way to stop it is to utterly destroy it.
3) Take the extra CC weapon. It is WE therefore CC themed. You'll get blood rage more often and an enraged Dread is scary.
4)Six bikes is rather high. I cap off at five (one because i play marines and I play DA--> expensive bikes). Its your call on this one.
Have fun. My brother plays WE and he kicks my a$$.