Alpha Legion and Cultists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alpha Legion and Cultists

Hey all,

After thinking it over for a few days, I have decided to switch over from Emperor's Children to Alpha Legion (sorry Emperor's Children :cry: ). The whole sneaky, infiltrating, ninja-like thing is really rather appealing to me, and the fact that they can get infiltrate for cheap is quite nice too.

Course, that brings us to the AL's unique troop type: cultists. Anyone have experience playing with them? Would they be cost effective for, say, a 500 pt. list? (cause i'm still a bit new at this).
    They certainly aren't durable, but if they can tie up a dangerous CC list for a turn, I suppose they could have their uses.

Also, what do you AL players use for your cultist models? (although, I probably should be asking this in the conversion forum). I searched up older AL topics, and they recommend regular cadian guys with some Chaos fantasy bits.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have regular cadians painted in my colour scheme with at least one "chaos" modification per model, be it a random skull or an addition of a chaos shoulder pad or something.

as for use in a list, as i see it you are getting furious charge and infiltrate for free

you can create a cultist champion who is mega dangerous (power weapon + his current pistol i go for, D.STR. D. MUT, D.VIS). you then need to get him into combat with anything and on the charge you'll be getting 4 attacks at STR 5 which ignore armour saves. Not bad for a model which can be absorbed into a 20 model unit of 6 point meat shields)

thats what i run with in my alpha list anyway, you can give them melta bombs also if you want them to be a potential problem for tanks although this takes points up and is a waste unless you can put that pressure on his tank or other vehicle

points wise in a 500 point game the 20 model cultists with the demon warrior champion comes out at roughly 170 points. Thats a big threatining unit for not a huge number of points. Get that cultist champion into combat and he can take out things that are much bigger or better than him. Against marines he should manage at least 2 on his charge if you get it, which is a lot of the points you need back already. If you get lucky and the rest of them can cause some casualties (and with 4 str and 2 attacks you should get some through, then they are actually a lot more capable in HTH than you may think, that furious charge makes the difference if you get it in)

i may be wrong on some of the above though : ) i've only come back to playing 40k for about 3 months after a 10 year break so i'm rusty on the technicalities sometimes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptik
    Hey all,

After thinking it over for a few days, I have decided to switch over from Emperor's Children to Alpha Legion (sorry Emperor's Children :cry: ). The whole sneaky, infiltrating, ninja-like thing is really rather appealing to me, and the fact that they can get infiltrate for cheap is quite nice too.

Course, that brings us to the AL's unique troop type: cultists. Anyone have experience playing with them? Would they be cost effective for, say, a 500 pt. list? (cause i'm still a bit new at this).
    They certainly aren't durable, but if they can tie up a dangerous CC list for a turn, I suppose they could have their uses.

Also, what do you AL players use for your cultist models? (although, I probably should be asking this in the conversion forum). I searched up older AL topics, and they recommend regular cadian guys with some Chaos fantasy bits.
    kryptik, welcome to the Alpha legion!
    I've never used cultists at such a low points cost. The thing is, for cultists to be really effective you need larger numbers, bringing them to roughly the same points cost as your "typical" marine squad.

Even at 500pts, I would really advise against fielding them in squads of 15, unless you know you will be playing cities of death, where cover is very prolific, even then, their low toughness makes them cannon fodder.

Cultists can be very useful for a number of situations, my favorite configuration is TMC hunting, where there is a 20 man cultist squad with the champion with daemonic talons, daemonic strength, mutation, spikey bits, this effectively makes him a genestealer with 19 wounds. Excellent for high toughness creatures.

I've also used them as swarm-tank hunters. 20 man squad with meltabombs, to jump all over any vehicle that is unfortunate to cross their paths.

For a cultist squad that is good ol' fashion reliable against marines, give the champion a powerweapon, daemonic strength and daaemonic mutation. the whole squad frags.

The overall key is to use the "hidden weapon" in all cases that makes them dangerous for more than a turn, but a threat as long as they are in combat, with a lot of numbers to hide that weapon for many turns.

As far as what models to use, do a search in the forums for this, it has come up many, many times and instead of rehashing several threads, just check it out for yourself.

Hope this helps.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak
    Cultists can be very useful for a number of situations, my favorite configuration is TMC hunting, where there is a 20 man cultist squad with the champion with daemonic talons, daemonic strength, mutation, spikey bits, this effectively makes him a genestealer with 19 wounds. Excellent for high toughness creatures.
    I know the cultist champion is allowed access to the Chaos armoury, but what exactly is he allowed to take?
    ''It begs the question; why would the emperor permit something quite so dangerous and untamed to exist? And that would be to take down another Space Marine Legion."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TY for your reply, Yak. But, is it legal to kit out the cult champion with all that stuff?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

MrDave and Kryptik: so yes. they can take all that stuff. check out the entry for them in the Codex(pg 40) I brought this up and successfully debated that they can have all of that stuff.
    Instead of referring you to the links(doing searches, ugh), I will put the logic here.

1)As a "character" Cult champion has access to the armory as a non-lord character.(50gifts/75total)
    2)Note that there are different sections of the armory, the champion may chose up to X points from the weapons section, but there designator of "only" is not there. meaning it didn't read "the champion may ONLY select up to 10 points of weapons from the chaos armory" This wording is present in Mutant bosses from the Lost and the damned. This means that they have total access to the Daemonic Gifts and wargear sections, they just can't do stuff like take a powerfist(because that would be broken a hidden fist with 20 wounds).

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

An interesting take on the wording of that entry. I've always taken it to being that the cultist champion was limited in their wargear to those 10 pts and had no other access to the armory. Remember a good rule of thumb for things in 40K is that if it doesn't say you can, then you cannot. I do recall the entry giving them access to the armory. Whereas the entry for the aspiring champion clearly grants access to the armory. I think you are wrong, but I would have to reread the entry in the codex before I would be willing to debate the issue.

I would be very interested in seeing the link(s) you suggested. . .
    Votewar MKV 2nd place. . .

Back from internet limbo, and glad to be here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385 (x8)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Well golly I missed that, I always assumed that the wording was the same as Mutant Bosses. . . although on reflection mutants already have a few daemonic gifts. . . so I guess the difference does make sense.

. . . (thinking of using my traitors as cultists and running alpha Legion for a few games). . .
    Votewar MKV 2nd place. . .

Back from internet limbo, and glad to be here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak

1)As a "character" Cult champion has access to the armory as a non-lord character.(50gifts/75total)
    2)Note that there are different sections of the armory, the champion may chose up to X points from the weapons section, but there designator of "only" is not there. meaning it didn't read "the champion may ONLY select up to 10 points of weapons from the chaos armory" This wording is present in Mutant bosses from the Lost and the damned. This means that they have total access to the Daemonic Gifts and wargear sections, they just can't do stuff like take a powerfist(because that would be broken a hidden fist with 20 wounds).

Hope this helps.
    Hmmm... I suppose it make's sense. Just another case of GW's ambiguous wording.
    ''It begs the question; why would the emperor permit something quite so dangerous and untamed to exist? And that would be to take down another Space Marine Legion."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast