Can Word Bearers rock? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Can Word Bearers rock?

I'm getting back into 40k again soon, and I have gotten some great advice so far on this forum... I am considering my options with several armies... mainly, Death Guard, Dark Angels, and Word Bearers! I am trying to think up fluff, my strategies, and my chances with each of these armies in turn. It's time for me to seriously consider the Word Bearers.

They have a great story and I love their details. I like that they are essentially Chaos Undivided with a small twist, taking advantage of the adaptability of chaos. I don't have any rules to look at to see exactly what their specific advantages are, so far. I need to buy some books again and look over the new rules.

I will immensely enjoy painting and converting these models and already have some ideas of what I want to do. But my concern is if they will fit for me. I did not do very well in the game in the past. I got all worked up painting armies but then almost never winning, which is a big disappointment after all of that effort.

- What would a basic army look like with a properly put together Word Bearer's force? I intend to start with 1000 points and work my way from there.
    - What are some good tactics to practice starting out with it?
    - Are they too tough for a noob to get the hang of? I am willing to take my licks to get some experience, but I don't want it to get out of hand!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x1)

Hey,

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America
    I don't have any rules to look at to see exactly what their specific advantages are
    Extra Troop slots filled with the best infantry Units in the game.

already have some ideas of what I want to do
    What?

my concern is if they will fit
    Only your Codex knows for sure . . .

a big disappointment
    Not to me. If winning is so important, there are easier armies to win with.

What would a basic army look like with a properly put together Word Bearer's force?
    "Proper" is up to you. Infantry-heavy means a Chaplain and 62 Troops.

I intend to start with 1000 points
    5*6CSM w/ Boltgun, Lascannon = 495, 4*8CSM w/ BP/CCW = 448, Lt + Gear = 57pt.

What are some good tactics
    Move into position, shoot with all squads, assault with HQ and CCWs.

Lascannon squads defend and contest. CCW squads charge forward.

Are they too tough for a noob to get the hang of?
    No.

I don't want it to get out of hand
    At 1500, add Infiltrate, Champs, Meltas and Furious Charge to Assault squads.

Finally add a Unit of 6 MoCU Havoks with AC/ ML/ Tank Hunters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

If you like their story and intend to take full advantage of their extra troop slots 'for the intended purposes', then i strongly suggest you do some searches and speak to people about daemon summoning.

It's worth picking and familiarising yourself with the Chaos Codex (make sure it's 3rd ed).
    Even if you decide to go loyalist (tsk tsk), you'll find yourself playing against chaos a lot. So it's nice to know your enemy etc.

If you want to know what a basic list looks like then take a look at the army list page. That's another reason why it's there. You'll soon get an idea and feel for what a competitive list looks like.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first off, it seems you haven't really read your codex on the Word Bearers section, so i would suggest to do so.

your HQ should be a Sorcerer Lord with an Accursed Crozius, Daemonic Aura, Spiky Bits, Daemonic Strength, and Wind of Chaos.

since Word Bearers are primarily infantry based, obvious enough, your first squads should be Chaos Space Marines. I suggest groups of 6-8, with a plasma guns in your first squad and a heavy bolter (a melta in your second), an aspiring champion with Spiky Bits. I also suggest using Bloodletters, since they are the shizz in terms of CCW and the best lesser daemons (in my opinion - horrors ... suck, plaguebearers have potential of killing you, daemonettes ... i haven't looked into, but Bloodletters have an armor save as well as an amazing CCW attack)

i would, myself, give a Predator as your first Heavy Support, as Land Raiders are really expensive for a bad tank, Defilers or Dreadnoughts i would use as my second, and havocs aren't really needed. Give your Pred a twin-linked autocannon, heavy bolter side sponsons and the Extra Armor vehicle upgrade.

winning isn't the point to this game. If you want to win, take an easier-to-win and newbier army. i like Word Bearers as you can have 9 Troop selections (OMG!) and they can just storm down on your opponent in a massive explosive amount of bolter fires.

Dancing Peanuts? You bet! Robizzle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x4)

since Word Bearers are primarily infantry based, obvious enough, your first squads should be Chaos Space Marines. I suggest groups of 6-8, with a plasma guns in your first squad and a heavy bolter (a melta in your second), an aspiring champion with Spiky Bits. I also suggest using Bloodletters, since they are the shizz in terms of CCW and the best lesser daemons (in my opinion - horrors ... suck, plaguebearers have potential of killing you, daemonettes ... i haven't looked into, but Bloodletters have an armor save as well as an amazing CCW attack)
    I pretty much agree with that assessment, except for one thing: You left out Flamers.

Flamers rock. 10 Doombolts? Yes please! *30 heavy bolter shots to the fayce*

Daemonettes, I've had used against me, and they've been a right pain in the lower back. Personally, I think 8 of each daemon would be a very good, balanced army as far as Word Bearers are concerned, backed up by a Lord, a couple of squads, and some havocs. Looks pretty sound, really.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

If winning is important to you (it is to me) I would like to suggest you to make three armylists. One for each of the armies you think about. Post them each on it's board (WB would go on Chaos armylists etc). When you have adapted them to the critisism and people on the boards are "satisfied" you make some kind of mini-votewar.
    When (if) you have a winner go for it.

If not, just go for Word Bearers as you seem to like converting and painting, chaos has so much to offer in these areas.

Anyhow, I wish you good luck and welcome back to the hobby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

robizzle, i left out flamers, because i find they are only useful against termagaunts, and even so, they are a one-shot weapon.
    8 of each demons?
    plaguebearers are great (im nurgle), but with a word bearers army, they are a huge risk, unless your using bikers, due to the fact that they have the potential of killing you. ram your bikes up their main front, and shazam, summon your plaguebearers, and shazam, nurgle's rot their ass.
    i would just suggest 8 of daemonettes and bloodletters, because horrors are extremely hard to use and extremely ugly to look at. if you choose to take Tzeentch daemons, use Flamers. they are so much better .. drool, 8 doombolts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

I wouldn't agree about flamers.
    1 is useless, 2 just as bad. But 3 bad boys slapped on a squad of marines, and he's rolling so many dice that he's bound to fail.
    Flamers can kill marine, my friend's sisters army regularly fries the blighters.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Word Bearers army was my most successful army to date. Here's a run-down:

1) I like minimum-equipped HQs. My Dark Apostle has a PF and Crozius, plus Demonic Strength and Mutation, and maybe spiky bits.

2) 9 Troops. I had 5 8-man marine squads and 4 5-man(?) Bloodletter squads. That let me have plenty of numbers on the field to start the game and make a nasty surprise for the enemy a few turns in.

3) 2 Predators tooled out for anti-infantry firepower (autocannon, heavy bolters, havoc launcher, etc.). These form the backbone of my shooting, which is supported by the marine squads.

4) Bloodthirster. Need I say more.

Anyway, I didn't worry too much about anti-tank stuff because the amount of firepower this army can throw down is considerable, and I usually just ignored the big bad monoliths and hammerheads and focused on objectives and destroying the enemy troops. Plus when you engage the enemy in hand-to-hand they can't shoot through the combat. My Word Bearers army relies on a 2 wave attack (Marines, then Demons), with a good balance of shooting and close combat, and enough numbers and unit redundancy to make sure I can hurt the enemy even if they shoot me up first!

If you need any more help let me know. This was just an example of an effective WB force; the beauty of this legion is the variety, though, so if you like all the other cool stuff in the codex you should by all means use it .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wish people would stop bagging flamers (not just the daemons but the weapons too) in both cases they are some of the most useful and cost effective things in the game, think about it what is cheaper and will do more damage 6 flamers or 6 havoks
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast