New to Nurgle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Nurgle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

New to Nurgle

Hey all, I currently have sizeable BA and IG armies but I also have a decent number of Plaguebearers, Nurglings and even a G. Demon of Nurgle that I bought for Fantasy. Now my playgroup doesn't regularly play Fantasy so I thought perhaps I might convert them over to a 40k Nurgle force.

I have a few questions though. What should I get first to supplement what I have? I have a Typhus actually (just love that model) and I was thinking a Demon Prince and a unit or two of Plague Marines, but what else?

Also, is there a Nurgle-dedicated site like the BA have Ex Libris Mortis? It would be nice to read some tactica and painting guides as I start out and flipping through the stickies on this board I didn't really see anything.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactica's hrm?

Death Guard Tactica

I'm not a nurgle player, but I'd say get some plague marines, because it seems like you do not have those. First, you need troops, and the marines are your troops. Also, I hear those nurgle troops are very good and tough, so don't skimp on them. I'd say get a few units of marines.

After that, it depends on what kind of army you like, but I'd get a vehicle (a predator or dreadnought) with some lascannons or something, to give yourself more firepower at long range, because nurgle can't get heavy weapons in their troops.

Everyone has their preferences for the chaos lord, but I'd say that daemon princes are a waste of points in a small point game (which is what you will probably be playing early on). The d.prince can probably wait....especially b/c you already have a typhus, although i'd use him as a ordinary nurgle lord or lieutenant, because the typhus character is reaally expensive points-wise.

Other than that, I wait for real nurgle players to help you out more.
    Last edited by H3ytony; August 12th, 2006 at 08:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Trust in your infantry!

Yes, I agree with the above. Nurgle armies are heavily infantry based, especially Death Guard, which I prefer. Use as many squads of Plaguemarines that you can bring yourself to field. They are notoriously nasty and should be protected, as fear of them will prompt your opponents to direct quite a bit of lead their way. They are great at capturing terrain, use meltas and plasma to devasting effect, and are still hard to get rid of when at a disadvantage. I field at least 3 squads of 7, all with champions and either 2 meltaguns or 2 plasmaguns, depending on their objective.

Put powerfists on your Aspiring Champions, and they will take out some pretty tough enemies, using the hidden powerfist. Plagueswords are extremely useful, but only equip them for specific purposes, like attacking HQ units and the like. Powerfists will crush dreadnoughts and high toughness opponents.

A predator or dreadnought will be called for and which one is a matter of preference. Either will bring some much needed long range firepower to the fight, preferably with lascannons. They can also serve to take some attention off of your precious troops. I use both when points afford it. Sometimes two of one type.

You'll hear a lot of criticism about plagubearers, but I would try to strive to develop my own opinion of them, if I were you. They only cost 16 pts each and they can easily earn their points back if you use them appropriately. Many players are disappointed by their performance, but I also see in their commentary that they were misusing them and expecting miracles from a daemon meant for certain pursuits. They are great at holding up wraithlords, greater daemons, dreadnoughts and the like. Many a frustrated opponent of the Death Guard has seen a valuable unit effectively castrated (tactics wise of course) by taking several turns to eat through a unit of these daemons. Some use one or two units of 7, but I would recommend a unit of 14. It is still a product of 7, Nurgle's sacred number, and it will take just about any unit a long time to cut them down. But don't discount their offensive ability. You will often see them pleasantly surprise you by performing quite well in a melee.

As far as your leader, that gets into the realm of personal preference, but I suggest that you don't ignore the benefits of Nurgle's favor and take either a plaguesword or a manreaper. Plaguesword if he is going to be accompanying a unit, to assassinate enemy HQ on a regular basis, but a 'reaper if he will be alone, so as not to rob friendly models of proximity to enemy bases in a melee. A lord/lt with a reaper really should be given Daemonic Flight or Speed to get him into combat quickly, and use him against important units. Giving him D. Rune would be prudent, as well, since you can't hide him in a unit if he is alone. Likewise, if he has a retinue, forget the Rune. He effectively has 10+ wounds then and can throw his buddies in the way of any powerfists. I don't use D. Stature, as that makes him a big, easily shot, target. I could be convinced to take it given special circumstances... like a great D. Prince conversion. Heh.

A unit of 7 chosen terminators will serve you well, also. Give them 2 reaper autocannons, upgrade them with Tank Hunter and an AC, and they will do quite a lot for you.

A lot of this is opinion. Take it for exactly that. I bet I will see some of what I posted quoted and then torn apart, but forums are for other's points of view, so I won't mind. The best thing you can ever do is field your army as you build it. Test out your strategy and the things that you need to add will become apparent. Death Guard can be a bit advanced, despite folks saying that all they do is advance into fire and hope to get into combat (and they do!).

Have patience with yourself, and with your troops, and they will perform for you! Have fun and welcome to glorious pestilence!

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Thats a long thread you wrote there captain!

You cannot take typhus and a daemon prince.
    Id suggest a infiltrating leui with speed and manreaper add in strength and you have got a nasty fellow there.

I would definately say take three units of plague marines, with at least one with infiltrate.
    These squads should use either plasma or melta guns, only use flamers if you expect to play light infantry.

Aspiring champions should be armed with powerfists.

For a Heavy support unit id say take a defiler, you can never go wrong with one, use indirct if you will be playing on large boards as it is pointless on small boards because of high min range.

DJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by danjones87
    For a Heavy support unit id say take a defiler, you can never go wrong with one, use indirct if you will be playing on large boards as it is pointless on small boards because of high min range.
    Just remember, Indirect fire + your own infiltrating/CC troops = Amusing scatters (for your opponent).

Seriously though, I saw one kid playing, must have blown up more of his own marines that the opponent did :w00t:
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Thanks for all the advice Captain America . I'll definately be taking most of it.

A few quick questions though:

1.) Can the Plaguesword's auto-kill effect be negated by Synapse? Considering you aren't being killed by double strength my guess is no. And me likes this It's like a better force weapon!

2.) What armies do you find the Manreaper more useful against? The Plaguesword seems to make up for the lack of long range firepower to take out opposing HQ units like Tyrants or opposing Demon Princes etc.

3.) What Psychic Powers do you find most useful to supplement the advancing army archetype? I'm very new to Chaos so unfamiliar with alot of their stuff but Winds of Chaos seemed to be an appropriate spell for an infiltrating force that will often be encountering the opponents in or near cover.

4.) What colors do people use to blend the appropriate billious and sickly green colors I often see on Plague Marines and such? I'm a pretty novice painter and most of my time was spent with rather straightforward BA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x1)

Hey,

Quote Originally Posted by Darguth
    Can the Plaguesword's auto-kill effect be negated by Synapse?
    Plaguesword nullifies Armour Saves, not Invulnerables.

It's like a better force weapon
    It's an enhanced Power Sword. Combined with Meltabombs, it obviates the need for Fists.

The Plaguesword seems to make up for the lack of long range firepower
    Not at all. You must still upgrade shootiness wherever possible - Walkers and Tanks.

What Psychic Powers do you find most useful
    Unlike FB, 40k has effective ranged fire for most Core troops. Psi is unreliable.

It's a poor substitute for a good weapon that doesn't need a test to shoot, imo.

Assaulting Units in cover can be equalised with a one point frag grenade.

You needn't test for grenades, and they don't affect your ability to shoot, either.

I'm a pretty novice painter
    Basecoat, Dip, Highlight:

http://www.pbase.com/bigo/dg&page=1

Playa

+ Reply to Thread