Necrons silencing the noise - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrons silencing the noise

I have recently converted to she who thirsts from playing eldar, i faced a necron army yesterday which seems nigh on unkillable, well thats slightly wrong, they fall in droves to my sonic weaponry but their special rules just seem to bite me in the backside. the rest of my friends and i have faced this army many times but it always seems to take nigh on no casualties while our forces are slowly whittled down. I call to the chaos powers to assist me in tactics that they find work against the necrons and suggestions in what to add to my (at the moment) meagre force.

My force consists of slaanesh noise marines (5 squads of 6, 2 equipped for cc)

two squads of 6 daemonettes

1 Lord/liutenant/scorceror model

1 predator

thats the round up of the models i have, i dont really want army lists but suggestions on units to buy (that will be useful in future battles as well as against the metal scum) or how to use my current units would be uselful, i have read the tactica at the top of the page which has given me loads of help but a few more ideas would help. thanks to all in advance.

Oh, the necron player has 28 warriors, a monolith, 3 destroyers, 2 heavy destroyers, a lord, tomb spyder and god knows how many scarab bases.

Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x1)

**warning, noob advise follows**

Oblitorators seem to round out an army nicely (I'm going to have 2 in my 500pt list). They can fire any weapon each turn. Should score some instakills with the right weapons (Necron can't regen from instakill, right?). Also, when swarmed by scarabs you can always bust out a double heavy flamer and two powerfists in CC.
    R.I.P. Iron Warriors, you will be missed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would be cool but i am sure i cant take obliterators in a slaanesh army unfortunately, thanks for the tip. i was considering investing in a despoiler or some terminator chosen to get in deep and strike the necrons where it hurts (the lith, lord and spyder)

your right about the instant death and scarabs i find are taken out nicely with doom sirens and blastmasters but they get in hand to hand and enough of them cause a severe pain. i lost the first time by not paying attention to the obscene amount of scarabs heading towards my heavy weapons
    Last edited by Herr Flik; August 16th, 2006 at 15:09.
    Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Hmm.. this seems to be coming up a lot recently. It's a tricky one, as Necrons can be very tricky when played by someone experience. Plus your friend sounds like he has a decent well balanced army with lots of necron boys - bad news for you.

Basically, it boils down to CC, power weapons and phase out. You will never out shoot toasters. With sonic weaponry which spit fire out like no ones business, he still has the same change of getting up, and your marines now cost substantially more than a necron boy.

cut back on the sonical weponry, and get a power weapon in every squad. Hug cover and then engage them in CC as quickly as possible. In fact, with warp scream, you can afford to use powerfists, as their initiative of 2 will be reduced to 1. Daemonettes - you need more i think.

Your lieutenant's job is simply to smash their leader in, who i imagine has a Orb of resurrection. If he is psychic, try wind of Chaos which denies armour saves and thus WBB.
    But victimise the leader as much as possible. D. Str, Dark Blade, Furious charge, Speed, Mutation/spiky bits. If he has a warscythe, don't bother with aura.

As for the monolith.. your only hope is a fully lascannoned predator annihilator. BUT, to be honest, I would concentrate on smashing his necron boys in.
    It's like facing a huge 7 foot guy. Rather than try to hit is jaw, you should go for the knees. Or the kidney.
    In CC, you will be safe from any Monolith Toasting, although he is likely to pull his warriors out. For this reason, you need to hit him hard and fast. 2 squads assault at the same time. Infiltrate them. add assualt weapons - meltas, doom sirens. Give your marines bp and cc weapon to increase those dice.

The destroyers will give you pain, but there's only 5 of them. You could concentrate on the necron boys and not even worry about them to be honest. Blast Master toting havocs would really help you against destroyers.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Well..

In my opinion, you have far too much sonic weaponry. 3 squads out of 5 is a lot when you're paying as much as thousand sons for each dude in them. Personally, I think you should drop them all and load up on the close combat squads.. They'll be more efficient, and you will have less reason to sob and take out the calculator when they die all over the place. At the moment, the necrons are almost outnumbering you just with their warriors, which is obscene given the ammount of other stuff in his army.

Also, I hate to say it, but your army is illegal, you have 7 troops choices.

My advice.. try an army like this.

Your lord/lieutenant/sorceror.

2 x 6 Daemonettes

A small bike squad to drop the daemonettes in the right position and chase down destroyers.

The predator

As many close combat noise marine squads as you can afford, with power weapons on the champions and infiltrate or rhinos (probably infiltrate versus necrons.)

With the bike squad, you'll be dropping the daemonettes on turn 2 2/3rds of the time, and they will probably get to enemy lines in the same turn, along with the bikes themselves. That's up to 3 units stuck in combat and unable to shoot the rest of your army as it advances and hopefully overuns everything.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; August 16th, 2006 at 15:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Also i forgot to mention.
    I wouldn't bother fielding too many vehicles against 'crons. Their basic warrior can pop a landraider. And yes it does happen, and yes, 13 year old kids do cry.

Your deepstriking terminator idea is actually very very good considering how difficult the necrons find mustering ap2 weapons is.
    This is maybe the only game i'd recomend 5 or 6 termies. Just, don't get carried away with their goodies.
    LO Rules

Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Karmoon, more daemonettes would be nice, they faired surprisingly well and kept his immortals locked for almost the entire game. all my squads generally are equipped with a power weaponed champ at the moment (from looking at tactica. like you said cc seems to be the way to defeat them as the lord is always too near a squad to target. my havoc squad is loaded with blastmasters and are a (dark)god send against the heavy stuff. Again the problem is not knocking them down but the proximity of the res bonus units, next battle infiltrating h-t-h marines are going in the list my lord is equipped with a steed so he gets in quite quickly and causes lots of devastation, didnt think of increasing his Str though, that will go in as well next time. The predator is an ancient annihiltor that im converting at the moment but am unsure to leave the weapons as is, i will only take the tank in certain circumstances as i am considering a defiler or a dreadnought, which would be better in your opinion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Remember, unless i'm very much mistaken, the Necron Lord is an IC which means he's totally victimisable in CC. So keep your IC in your squad when running up them, then you you spring out and puncture his gallbladder.
    That out of the way, you should be able to power weapon and sweeping advance yourself to a glorious victory.
    The bike idea of mantis's is also a good idea, to keep a tab on the destroyers.
    I would prefer to use solid havoc firebases though, the bikes tend to be difficult to use and expensive.

Dreadnought VS Defiler... I have no experience of either, not really. The battle cannon might be quite interesting though. not really compatible with infiltrating troops though.
    LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

two squads are havocs, they arent all troops choices, i probably didnt make that clear, sorry. i was just giving a list of what men i had available to me, sorry for the confusion guys

Seems like lots of cc would be a good idea against the metal monsters, and i would have my lord move in with the other cc squads, i have never used bikes before but heard of the tactic, does it work well? because if your infiltrating cc units with marks surely they could get the daemons out better?
    Last edited by Herr Flik; August 16th, 2006 at 15:56.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon
    The destroyers will give you pain, but there's only 5 of them. You could concentrate on the necron boys and not even worry about them to be honest. Blast Master toting havocs would really help you against destroyers.
    I'm going to disagree here. The first turn he doesn't turbo boost these guys, wipe the floor with them. Don't leave a single one alive. With only 5 destroyers, they're an easy target and won't get their WBB rolls if the last one falls. Same for the 2 Heavy Destroyers, wipe them out first.
    Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast