Librarium Online Forums banner

Iron Warriors?

693 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  grind 
#1 ·
Ok, well I keep hearing about this army called Iron Warriors.

What is so great about IW armies? Why are they such a popular chaos army?

#2 ·
This pretty much sums it up:
The Iron Warriors probably have the most firepower compared to the other legions. They gain an extra Heavy Support Choice, and the limitation on Obliterators is removed! You also gain access to the Basilisk (see IG codex) and Vindicator (see SM codex) tanks. You also gain access to the Servo Arm, which acts similar to the Space Marine Tech arm. . However, they must sacrifice two Fast Attack options to gain the heavy support selection, as well as not being able to select Daemons or specifically marked units. If you like firepower and ordnance then Iron Warriors are for you.
Lots and lots of ordinance and up to 9 obliterators!

#4 ·
Definitely take a monolith. 2 lords with res orbs. Give one a veil of darkness and jump all over the field with either 20 warriors, or 10 immortals. Stock up on warriors. Maybe take a few destroyers for tank busting. You want large numbers and lots of opportunities to resurrect your crons when going against that much firepower.

#7 ·
They can still be horribly mean in hand to hand. Don't forget, a chaos aspiring champion can be meaner than most army's HQs. Many a time have I taken down a chaplain, grand marshall, and even librarians with my aspiring champions.

#10 ·
Do they need those points? 2 CSM squads, Lord with minimal gear, 6-9 obliterators and 3-4 vehicles would be devastating. True it would be powergaming and no one would ever be your friend again, but it's still cool as heck.

#11 ·
In 1850 points, a friend of mine used to take a list comprising of

1 basilisk
1 defiler
1 dreadnaught
1 predator

3 separate obliterators

1 bike squad w/ tooled up AC
2 marine squads of between 5 and 10, w/ tooled up ACs in rhinos

1 tooled up Lt. that joined a random marine squad.

His list had few models, but what he couldn't kill through shooting, he ripped apart in hand to hand. He was able to deal with armies twice or three times his size, but it was the horde armies he had problems with.

Now he runs a list with no vehicles (aside from one basilisk). His other three heavy support choices went into 3 full havok squads. He still has the three oblits, but he also 2 10-man squads of marines. His havok squads are almost all filled out with autocannons with tank hunters (against vehicles its like having a devastator squad with 8 krak missile launchers). The fact alone that he has 60+ models (all of them marines) at 1850 points is usually demoralizing as hell for anyone he plays against.

#12 ·
With extra heavy support choices iron warriors can be called cheese pretty easily. Some people just fill outs compulsories with a cheap hq and 2 space marine squads of 5. There armies also include 9 oblits and 4 vehicles which own most battle fields. Luckily most people just make there army powerful, not unbeatable. I also love there colour scheme. I think these are the reasons for the iron warriors unbelievble popularity

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.