Whats the best way to use Oblits? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

Whats the best way to use Oblits?

...and dont just say shoot.

Q

Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Quannum
    ...and dont just say shoot.

Q
    Obliterators are an excellent switch hit unit between fire support and heavy weapons support.
    Depending on the need presented by your army at any given moment and oponent, they can fulfill any number of roles(even assault if you MUST, though not reccomended can lend a good extra punch to a pitched battle)

Keep moving them, that's the key, they are slow so you need to know what general direction you would like them to go, and keep sending them that general way. they are really dern tough so they can survive almost anything. Keep them safe from high volumes of fire and lascannons/meltaguns and all str 8 and higher weapons.
    I've found they work best as a mobile fire base that can dish out a lot of punishment at all range incraments. Early game I put them into position so they can easily maneuver to lascannon an important tank, and keep them moving until they get to the point they can really do some damage with volume of fire or rapid fire plasmaguns.
    People concentrate on them to kill them so understand that if you give your oponent a shot at them, it will be taken. you can use that to your advantage to give multiple targets and make your oponent chose which is more important to destroy.

As my whole army infiltrates, I use them to secure my home table quarter, act as bait and overall make my oponent anticipate and react to them rather than the incoming infiltrating mess that they should be worried about.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

They came recommended to me as a nasty support for your main effort-your four heavy support choices. If you use these bad lads WITHOUT Deep Striking (too long off table, too much danger of losing them), then they can take some stick away from your armour. They won't last long (two or three turns at most) but if you can afford all nine of them then they survive to claim their points back, dishing out some harsh punishment in ranged and close combat. Your four armoured choices can then go to work in the support role, especially the compulsory (well IMHO anyhoo) Basilisk and Vindicator.

As theyak states, keep them moving, preferably in one direction. Try to "pepperpot" with them-move a squad, shoot with another one. Failing that, use Reaper ACs or Plasmaguns as you advance. You lose either squad, you still have the other one to retaliate next time. It gives your opponent something else to worry about besides the two Ordnance Templates he/she's getting every turn. A 200 point heavy armour choice or three separate 70 point Terminators with the same firepower each?

Entirely up to you of course.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x1)

Does plasma still "get hot" for oblits?
    R.I.P. Iron Warriors, you will be missed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does but I believe it is twin-linked.
    "They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

OBs get twin linked everything, including Power Fists. Due to their slow nature you shouldn't assault with them, but their armour save should withstand the initial assault, then with TL PFs you can wipe the smile off your opponent's face when you hit back.

As for the TL PGs, you should be careful of course. The more shots they get off, the higher the chance of falling victim to a Gets Hot roll. Autocannon or Flamers are nasty against numbers and Eldar (in case you get mobbed by Gaunts, or Banshees with Power Weapons). You shouldn't need to worry about heavy weaponry as your armour or massed Havocs with Missile Launchers should be doing this job.

Don't forget however that like Terminators, OBs also move and fire Heavy Weapons so you could threaten with MLs whilst your armour or Havocs are on the move.
    Last edited by adamwelton; September 17th, 2006 at 11:59.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by adamwelton
    OBs get twin linked everything, including Power Fists.
    man i didnt know that! twin-linked powerfists??? are you 100% sure?

Q
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by adamwelton
    OBs get twin linked everything, including Power Fists.
    Dont think I'm being rude or anything... but what on earth are you talking about :wacko: ? Obliterator's get no bonuses in cc (it's only RANGED weaponry you can twin link)

MD
    ''It begs the question; why would the emperor permit something quite so dangerous and untamed to exist? And that would be to take down another Space Marine Legion."

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

No close combat weapon is 'Twin linked', this is a ranged weapon term. They are not master crafted either. Oblits have two powerfists, but get no Attack statistic increase as it is already added on.

Try and use each weapon to its full effect, dont forget the auto cannons, they are good against speeder and Kan squads.

As the yak said, always move your oblits, the shouldnt stop moving.

DJ

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Sorry, sorry, I was in third ed mode-thanks MD. TL everything else. The big comedy factor of OBs in 3rd ed was that as a GW house rule they could reroll any assault misses due to "twin-linked" PFs (well down our way at least). The OB rules mention PFs as CCWs. Their second PF would count as what? An extra CCW for +1A? I rarely get assaulted, having wasted most assaulting enemy troops with ordnance templates beforehand.
    Last edited by adamwelton; September 17th, 2006 at 18:23.

+ Reply to Thread