Pure Slaanesh or Unpure? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pure Slaanesh or Unpure?

I find myself questioning whether I should stick to the fluffy EC Slaanesh line or just use a Slaanesh-based list. I was never attracted to the Black Legion idea, but being able to field Obliterators and Raptors sounds so cool. To field those units I would have to give up the summoning bonus and the free AC. The free AC doesn't do much for me at sub 1k points, but the summoning roll might mess up some of my tactics. Since I have never used obliterators or raptors, can anyone comment on how effective they are against a wide range of opponents... or going farther, how they function with an assault based army like Slaanesh?

I have always heard that Obliterators were awesome, but to me they just seemed like lower cost Dreadnoughts... which I could afford and use in my EC list. Is this the wrong way to view them? I do love the fluff and idea of following a cult, but Oblits might add more tactical advantage than the benefits garnered from being a pure follower. Since the models are slightly expensive, I was hoping I could receive some comments on how they operate and if it is worth it or not before I go out and purchase a few. I should mention that I play primarily against SM and Tyranids, and occasionally Necrons and Tau.

On a side note, if I do use Oblits in a Slaanesh-core army would I have to call it a Black Legion list? I don't know what it is about BL, but they just don't pique my interest through fluff or otherwise.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Raptors would give you (Slaanesh) good close combat without shielding the enemy from your shooting. Cult armies have expensive troops, though, so Raptors might push your model count down too far.

Obliterators really are discount Dreadnoughts. Their appeal lies in always having the exact weapon you need, plus you can take a squad of them. They also cannot be shaken or immobilized (more than they already are).
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hm

but does the discount negate the benefits from having a pure army? having oblits as an elite choice is rather awesome... i'm just so torn on this issue! really, 40k decisions shouldn't be this difficult. i've been trying to look through sample army lists but the only ones that take oblits are black legion ones that are rather bland and IW. seems like everyone always goes one extreme or the other, and I kinda wanna be in the middle.

i'm new to the game so i'm not too sure on what exactly the "norm" is for player lists really, or if people will sacrifice pure cult just for oblits... so if anyone has experience on that matter i'd appreciate the input. also, i actually think oblits are better than dreadnoughts because dreads are nearly double the cost with weapons, and don't even have the same choices really.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

You don't lose that many advantages when ditching the pure-Slaanesh route.. only the free Aspiring Champion and Favoured Units, etc.

You also don't have to call a Slaanesh-based army including Raptors and/or Obliterators the Black Legion - there's nothing stopping you from making your own fluff/army up entirely, calling it whatever you want. It doesn't have to be a mix-and-match force like the Black Legion is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

As it stands, i reckon the disadvantages for playing a cult army outweight the benefits.

There's no such this as a normal list, naturally. So be creative, use units that you want to use and then post a list.
    The crit you'll get there will normally tell you how competitive it will be.

good luck.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

I generally don't think there are really strong non-fluffy reasons to play cult lists.
    They are restrictive, and usually specializes your forces to do a few things very well, and other things very poorly.

Black legion/"undivided" lists are excellent in flexability, and I feel they are what truely represent the chaos codex's capabilities.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

+ Reply to Thread