Obliterators - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obliterators

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obliterators

Why are obliterators so good? I don't think I am quite getting it. They are point heavy, but they can use a variety of weapons. Still though, that is only one lascannon shot or frag missile. Plus, they can be instant killed with a T of 4. People keep telling me they are really good, and I want to switch from a pure slaanesh to aligned but I am just not getting why this unit is better than say, a unit of havocs... aside from the fact that it is an elite choice and not heavy support. Are these just good tank hunting units? They don't seem like they would be that good against MEQs.

Since I've never used them before I am probably way off, so if anyone would care to enlighten me as to why I should take Obliterators and go aligned instead of Dreadnoughts and stay pure, i'd be quite happy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must say i love my obliterators, never leave home without them. the great thing about them is that they can change weapons. playing against tyranids and need to kill a 'fex? gota lascannon, wanna mow down some geanstealers? got a heavy bolter. its like the swiss army knife of the chaos army.

also with the gifts its essentialy in terminator armor which gives it impressive duribility. and the ability to deep strike in some situations is extreamly helpful.

all i know is i only take two in 1k points. and the people i play against regularly alway curse up a storm when i take them out of the case. :w00t:

Pwned by Phobos. LictorInTheGrass's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -27 (x0)

Its because they don't have to be set up, at all and they adapt to any situation. Like Deepstrike anywhere with the right weaponary for any problem. H.Bolters for Eldar and Tau, Plasma guns for MEQ and marines, Missile Frags for Orcs, etc. They can do any job, thats basically the point.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Also as an aside, they are mobile heavy weapons.. so you aren't restricted to making them sit and shoot. They can move, get a better LOS (if you roll well enough), and blam, down goes a tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x1)

Oblits don't look as good on paper as they actually do in game. So, proxy 1 or 2 and try them out, you'll be very pleased. Oblits have a great defense and, as put earlier, are quite the swiss army knife, always the weapon you need when you need it. They can make up for when you bring a strong anti-infantry army and your opponent unexpedily brings lots of AV (and vice versa).

Also, I completely disagree that they are point heavy. 3 Oblits are cheaper then a squad of autocannon havocs and can easily do as much damage and are much more versitile.
    R.I.P. Iron Warriors, you will be missed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget the powerfists in close combat and two wounds. Squishy squish.
    [Table 1-1: Signature] D6: 1 (nothing) 2 (quote) 3 (image) 4 (WLD record: relevant game [table 1-2]) 5 (internet meme) 6 (Critical Sig: roll 2 more times)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm amazed this thread made it as far as it did without that last comment: Anybody that tries to charge your Oblits will learn that they are (IMHO) better than dreads in CC. I've seen IW drop a pair of Oblits behind an IG army... It wasn't very pretty, between the melta guns behind Russ's to the massacre of the HQ choice in CC.
    Signatures: Why bother?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

its like the swiss army knife of the chaos army.
    Good analogy :yes:

Anyway, they're tough, good weapons which can be switched for differnent situation, deep strike, and can move and shoot. They're also pretty cheap for what they can do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because their slow and purposful rule makes them strike last in CC, everybody thinks "oh gee, I guess they weren't meant for CC" forgetting that their PW do that anyways. Deepstriking them alone is risky because, just like everything else, they can be overwhelmed by high firepower. 2 wounds and an invulnerable go a long ways for staying power, but a lucky tank will ruin them with his anger.
    Chief Inspector Dreyfus: Are you wounded?
    Clouseau: No. Fortunately I was saved by the darkness.
    Chief Inspector Dreyfus: So what we need is more light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionClaimed View Post
    I'm amazed this thread made it as far as it did without that last comment: Anybody that tries to charge your Oblits will learn that they are (IMHO) better than dreads in CC. I've seen IW drop a pair of Oblits behind an IG army... It wasn't very pretty, between the melta guns behind Russ's to the massacre of the HQ choice in CC.
    surely.. because of attacks and initiative... dreads are better?!?!
    However, you're totally correct. Their most powerful attack is in CC
    As i've said before, imagine having a Tau railgun attached to your fist.

I laughed my ass off when some wYches attacked my oblits. Watching S3 characters trying to kill T5 ones is greatstuff. He wasn't happy when the powerfists started connecting.

They're perhaps one of the only units to truly benefit from deepstriking rules.

Ecchu.. i know how you feel but take some small potatoes and proxy a couple.
    You soon see what the fuss is all about Iron Warriors.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast