Screamers and Furies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screamers and Furies

Well I decided to go with a Slaanesh aligned army instead of pure, and I've been looking through some of the options and I'm confused on yet another issue...

Screamers of Tzeentch get Furious Charge conferring +1 S and +1 I, and from what it sounds like Hit and Run where the unit falls back 3D6". This sounds great and pretty much means as long as your opponent doesn't fail its leadership test you get to run away to assault the very next turn. Now, this sounds great but does it open up your units to uneccesary enemy fire? They seem to be strongly CC oriented and unless they get behind cover I'm wondering if it is better they stay in combat.

Which leads me to Furies, they cost the same and have one more strength and one more attack. These seem fairly identical to the Screamers, minus the Hit and Run-like ability. With 2 base attacks, they should be the easy choice but I'm wondering which one is better. Since I won't have a chance to proxy them for a bit, I was wondering what the general concensus is.

I'm going for a fast moving army with not too many D Beasts. I haven't put it all together yet but it is looking like 3 squads of marines, two noise marines and one undivided numbering 8 each. throw in a squad of 6 raptors and then i can have two different units with free icons (i think? any unit with all squad members with a mark get free unit icon upgrade right, even with undivided?) and able to summon demons. I like the idea of having a multi-front attack. If they ignore my raptors, the daemonettes will come out and get 'em and if they ignore my slower moving CSM then the furies will pop out and have some fun. I plan on using the HS for defiler and anti infantry since Raptors and Oblits are pretty anti-tank. I will, however, use a squad of AC/Blastmasters for second HS. So now that I have given some premise of my army, hopefully that can shed some light on a difficult decision.

Oh and while i'm on the topic of army construction, i'm curious why I never see a list with multi mark HQs. I'm very tempted to take a 2nd lord in addition to Slaanesh, give him MoN and Plague Sword which is just fantastic and then sending him into battle. I mean, Plague Sword on a statured LT is like having two dreadaxes pretty much. Plus, if I have 1 unit with MoN then I can take 10 nurglings for 30 wounds! Talk about cheap fodder. Is this just too expensive to do or is this a really bad idea? If I can fill up a troop choice for even 30 points, that means I can have more elite and fast attack choices.... darn that limitation on raptors though... those things are beasts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Screamers are best used when you have a very resilient squad to back them up. Think Tsons or Death Guard. The back-up squad will assault or be assaulted and keep their opponent locked down in attrition while the Screamers charge in and out every turn. If you aren't playing that kind of game (and Slaanesh is not exactly noted for resiliency, hehe) than furies are probably better due to them not needing to be situational to be good. Daemonettes are probably superior anyways, hehe

I did a similar thing - I played with a Tzeentch Lord, and then took a Slaanesh Lt.
    The army was kinda so-so, but it was fun to think about having the opportunity to take 6 Havoc squads. (3 with MoS that makes them elite and 3 with MoU.)

The main issue I had with it was trying to really beef up my Lt, and I sometimes ended up with ihm costing more points than the Lord - which in my opinion is very "unfluffy". In the end, after doing some more research, I chose Alpha Legion as the army to stick with for the long-haul, and I think I'm much happier that way.

One of the reasons I think you don't see many mixed Mark armies is that people like to specialize and go "all-out" in one direction...and non-marked units of their Lord's mark end up being Undivided for lower points cost. However, having a Slaanesh Lord and a Nurgle Lt. with a Death Guard retinue in a 2,000pt army would be pretty cool to see! If I was to do that, it would be a really tough choice for who got the Daemon weapon. If I was playing hordes, I would want the Lt. with a Manreaper, but against everything else, I would want the Slaaneshi with a Dark Blade. It's a fun problem to have, haha.

I'm just crazy though, and if I hadn't decided Alpha Legion, I would still be tossing up new ideas to try...I do that too much, so I'm trying to focus my efforts on being a legionnaire.

It's fun talkin about that kinda stuff though!

-Eclipse
    "Long live the Emperor!"
    - a patient Chaos God

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Multi mark armies are great - but they get expensive quickly (points and money) plus it can be tricky to get the cohesion right.

I was going down the path of a multi coloured army until I got sucked into Alpha Legion.

There are some potentially interesting combos you can come out with though.

Eclipse said that daemonettes are probably better, but I'm not 100% sure about that. They're good at different things against different targets.
    So in some circumstances the daemonettes are certainly better,
    but when you need speed or the enemy is only lightly armoured then the furies have to win
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

The high Initiative of the Screamers makes them very potent characterkiller. Just wanted to say that.

+ Reply to Thread