Noise Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise Marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noise Marines

Is the concensus on this forum that Noise Marines are better suited for CC with the MoS? I like Warp Scream, and the free AC upgrade would seem to support that conclusion, but people keep telling me to drop Sonic Blasters and take BP + CCW. I think that Noise Marines do both really well, and I like them as a medium range shooty army and assault. In fact, I would prefer to give them Sonic Blasters since not many armies can move and still fire 2 shots 24"... I think its a rather underrated ability. I can't stand regular bolters... I think they are a pretty poor weapon... single shot at 24" or double at 12"... theres no incentive to get into CCW with a regular bolter weapon... plus only moving 6" a round footslogging up the board with a weapon you'll only be able to shoot one to three times per game. I absolutely love assault weapons and for the price of 5 points I think that a squad with 4 SB, 1 Blastmaster, and 1 PFist AC is still a great unit that gets the best of both worlds. Given my obvious bias, am I clearly wrong here? Should any unit with MoS just get CCWs? If so, what do you use for shootiness... since for me, bolters just don't seem to cut it in a mobile army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well EcchuBlessu you underestimate the power of the bolter. To say that its a phenomenal weapon is a joke but in some battles a bolter may save your life. Perfect example is the tyranids. For people who play horde armies your bolters can mow them down and they dont even get an armor save for most of the troops. Anyone would prefer some sonic blasters over bolters because they are a far greater weapon but let us not forget that marked chaos marines are already point heavy so to add sonic weaponry into every squad can and will leave you greatly outnumbered leaving you to rely on just sonic weapons. Im not saying you wouldnt have a chance it would just be difficult and require tactics and some luck. I say mix it up because slaneesh are a good CC army with sonic shooty power. Make some squads that are just CC weapons and bolt pistols because you already have the enemy at a lower initiative via warp scream and then you can beef yourself up with some combat drugs and have a great CC unit.
    40,000- 7,000 Points Chaos Space Marines=18 and 17
    40,000- 2,500 Points Tau Empire=1 and 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

I prefer to have an equal mix of cc and shooty squads. In my list (1850 Tournament Emperor's Children)here I use the shooty squads to support the cc squads. The shooty squads can handle themselves in combat as well, plus they are great fro crowd controll with the sonic blasters.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

A mix is best. Just don't go sonic crazy. Or you'll end up with a big point sink. Being fearless is great, but with only 6 man squads a well placed orinance weapon can spell doom to a whole squad. Or going to suffer some casualties, the goal is to do more damage than you take. Which is why you don't want to overspend.
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson

Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by EcchuBlessu View Post
    I can't stand regular bolters... I think they are a pretty poor weapon... single shot at 24" or double at 12"... theres no incentive to get into CCW with a regular bolter weapon.
    Incentive comes from 'bolt pistol' (not the bolter). Any squad with bolters will and should remain at range (D.G. & models w/ MoN excluded).

Quote Originally Posted by KingPin View Post
    Well EcchuBlessu you underestimate the power of the bolter. To say that its a phenomenal weapon is a joke but in some battles a bolter may save your life. Perfect example is the tyranids. For people who play horde armies your bolters can mow them down and they dont even get an armor save for most of the troops. Anyone would prefer some sonic blasters over bolters because they are a far greater weapon but let us not forget that marked chaos marines are already point heavy so to add sonic weaponry into every squad can and will leave you greatly outnumbered leaving you to rely on just sonic weapons. Im not saying you wouldnt have a chance it would just be difficult and require tactics and some luck. I say mix it up because slaneesh are a good CC army with sonic shooty power. Make some squads that are just CC weapons and bolt pistols because you already have the enemy at a lower initiative via warp scream and then you can beef yourself up with some combat drugs and have a great CC unit.
    This pretty much sums up the everything. But to add a few more notes: The bolter is one of the best basic troop weapons in the game. Compare it to I.G. or the Eldar basic ranged weapon. Plus the bolter hits on a 3+. The only army that has a better basic troop ranged weapon would be the Tau.

As for sonic blasters, the lists I've observed in tournaments use primarily c.c. noise marines, assisted by usually one (maybe two) sonic blaster squads. Sonic blasters work especially well on termis and bikes, as the upgrade is much more cost effective. Bikes especially work well with sonic blasters- great mobility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I'm a bit of a hardliner in this regard, but I feel sonic squads are a waste of points.. They are effective, but relative to the great deal you get with CC noise marines, I don't think they're worth it. 5 points doesn't look like much.. but add it up and it's a thousand sons price tag without any of the resiliance and survivability.

If you abseloutely must use them.. mixed squads are probably best. A squad with nothing but sonic weapons has no redundancy and will be weak in close combat due to its low attacks total.. A mixed squad might seem like a bad compromise, and in many ways it is, but at least it won't leave you sobbing the first time someone shoots a starcannon at you.

If you want shooty EC, go for blastmaster havoc squads. They're still fragile, and in many ways poorly optimized.. but the difference is they can sit back outside of plasma range, while those sonic blaster squads are going to wind up in drawn out firefights.. Better still, by using the assault mode they can hop around at the back of the board and make sure they never get caught in bolter range. Very annoying for opponents.

And your opponent is going to want to invest time keeping them moving.. the way multiple blast templates stack nowadays mean that even if you can only catch two dudes under a blast marker, you'll still get 8 strength 8 hits from a fully tooled havoc squad.. Even MeQs will hurt from that.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; November 1st, 2006 at 08:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Wow.. long time no see on these forums Mantis

none the less.. I agree with Mantis and King pin.
    The bolter is pretty damn cool.. if you don't rate them, play an army with a S3 gun heh heh.

The problem with sonic weaponry is.. the price it costs to upgrade a bolter. On it's own it's fine.. but it's ALWAYS coupled with the MoS.. GW should have really thought about that.

The Yak doesn't rate them, but i also really like Blast Master havocs. With tank hunters, they slice through vehicles and.. on the move they're a threat to light vehicles. How cool is that? Just remember - I kept my blast masters together as it increases their effectiveness.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like everyone else posting before me, I will agree that Noise Marine squads are pretty expensive when you go about replacing bolters with sonic blasters.

I play Undivided with a solid Slaanesh theme, so I tend to keep my sonic blasters on my Bikers. This is really good because it gives you a fast moving unit with the sonic blasters, allowing you shoot pretty much exactly where you need on any given turn.

The Noise Marine Havocs are a ton of fun, and cause a ton of problems for the opponent, so I would try and stick with that, rather than making your regular squads into point sinks.

Member Dasqueek-Master Assassin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also love sonic blasters on bikes and termis.
    what do you think about using combat base squads with the fire power coming from a bike squad or two and some termis. the squads could infiltrate, and have teleport homers and icons. they teleport in deamons and charge into combat with 3 doom sirens and 3 bolt pistols. the next turn terminators come in spray some fire and since most units are already engaged they shouldnt get assaulted leaving them free to shoot and assault next turn.
    the bikes give you mobile firepower and a good place for a deamon bomb
    PEACE AND CHICKEN GREASE!!!!!

-Dasqueek-Master Assassin
    W/ L/ D
    Necrons-38/ 7/ 2
    Black templars- 6/ 0/ 0
    Eshin-40/ 4/ 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

They'd be rediculously expensive, have very few numbers, and be designed to act right next to the enemy. No amount of weapon upgrades can save you from the entire weight of your opponent's firepower. And if you did teleport your termies next to your bike squad already in combat, there's a fair chace they'll kill themselves. You can't teleport/deep-strike/summon into combat- infact, ending up within 1 inch on an enemy model means that model dies. And then you'd be left with your 2 six-man squads and 100 point Lord. IMO that sort of squad would be a really bad idea.

I love Sonic Blaster Squads, but I always take them in moderation. I have 2 6-man SB squads and 2 cc-armed ones, and together they work well, in the same way Helbrecht said before. A Sonic Blaster-armed Slaneeshi marine costs 24 points. That's not cheap, you can't afford too many of them. Bike and termies even more so.
    --Monsieur

"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours"
    -Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast