Obliterators - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obliterators

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obliterators

Can anyone tell me what size base Obliterators are supposed to be on? I'm guessing 40mm... I only ask because I have yet to buy them and I want to try them out as proxies first since they are a hefty investment.

On the subject, how would you best use them? I'm thinking that Deep Striking them is the way to go for almost every list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by EcchuBlessu View Post

On the subject, how would you best use them? I'm thinking that Deep Striking them is the way to go for almost every list.
    Obliterator tactics vary, depending on the opponent you're facing. Against static Tau, infantry based Imperial Guard, Genestealer Nids, you can use them w/out deep striking them very effectively. Against armies that have unguarded flanks, such as Godzilla, it's best to d.s. them behind the lines in order to shoot the fragile underbelly. Most of the time I don't d.s. them. Really, it depends on their role in your army. If you want to get them into c.c. against an opponent that is not moving, then d.s. works very well. That said, you will need good cover terrain to protect them once they d.s..
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

40mm is the medium sized bases aren't they? If so, yes that's the sixe they come on.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever size base comes with the blister?

I have no idea, still proxying them now. If they come on 40mm bases instead of the smaller ones does that mean they can be more spaced out (as in - base to base 2', not model to model 2')? It confuses me why it matters what size base to put it on...is it used to your advantage?

-Eclipse
    "Long live the Emperor!"
    - a patient Chaos God

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

If you have a large base, many opponents can get into base to base in CC. The larger the base the more opponents.
    I guess there are other things too, like when you deepstrike and such. You can fit more small, thightly packed bases under one template for example.

Yes, the Oblits are on 40mm bases, and yes you measure from the base to the next base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus View Post
    If you have a large base, many opponents can get into base to base in CC. The larger the base the more opponents.
    I guess there are other things too, like when you deepstrike and such. You can fit more small, thightly packed bases under one template for example.

Yes, the Oblits are on 40mm bases, and yes you measure from the base to the next base.
    I think the DP is on a 40mm base, and the oblit one is a little smaller, but I could be wrong (my DP is going to be on a Dred size base, he's big). However, proxying them, it really shouldn't matter a whole lot. The main difference in base size is bigger = easier to hit (harder to hide). There is no real advantage to the player of having a bigger base. Yes, technically they "look" farther apart with the 2" rule, but it still 2" from one base edge to the other. So, while they may spread out across more of the board, they're just bigger targets.

I've heard CC mentioned a few times. Let me stress, CC is not an oblit function. Yes, I know, the word Powerfist (x2) is sexy, but really, their shooting ability far outways those two attacks. The primary way to neutralize an oblit is to get it in CC with a bunch of low point units. The oblit spends all game trying to kill them 2 at a time (if you're lucky) and the enemy has just shut down that las/TL plas/HB/AC/ML/flamer/TL Melta beast.
    R.I.P. Iron Warriors, you will be missed.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoal07 View Post

I've heard CC mentioned a few times. Let me stress, CC is not an oblit function.
    Shoal07 summed it up; even though oblits have c.c. tricks, their main function is at range. Really, the only reason to d.s. these pups is to get behind enemy lines or to give the oblits tactical advantage in cover. That later of these, however, can usually be achieved with a little footslogging.

Regarding base sizes: Base size also matters when it comes to passing between models, difficult or dangerous terrain, or between impassable terrain pieces. Additionally, the Nurgling's base size is definitely advantageous to be on a larger base, since their primary objective is to tie things up. The larger base enables the Nurglings to 'spread out' over a greater section of the table, thus blocking more area. Of course, the distance between the models still remains a max of 2", but on a larger base, the total span is definitely increased. BTW, the Nurglings base is the same size as the oblits.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by boydgarrett View Post
    Shoal07 summed it up; even though oblits have c.c. tricks, their main function is at range. Really, the only reason to d.s. these pups is to get behind enemy lines or to give the oblits tactical advantage in cover. That later of these, however, can usually be achieved with a little footslogging.

Regarding base sizes: Base size also matters when it comes to passing between models, difficult or dangerous terrain, or between impassable terrain pieces. Additionally, the Nurgling's base size is definitely advantageous to be on a larger base, since their primary objective is to tie things up. The larger base enables the Nurglings to 'spread out' over a greater section of the table, thus blocking more area. Of course, the distance between the models still remains a max of 2", but on a larger base, the total span is definitely increased. BTW, the Nurglings base is the same size as the oblits.
    If that's the case with nurglings, you could stick them on a dred base, or even bigger. You're always allowed to increase base size, just not decrease. This might be seen as cheesy, but I'd like to see someone try it!

Mmmmm... Nurglings on a 2x4... LOL!
    R.I.P. Iron Warriors, you will be missed.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoal07
    I think the DP is on a 40mm base, and the oblit one is a little smaller, but I could be wrong
    Indeed you are wrong.

The Oblits come with a 40mm base.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x2)

My personal oppinion is to never deepstrike them unless they are already forced into reserves due to the mission. The fact is that they have huge long range guns. Sure you can deep strike on turn 3 to melta the back armour of a tank, or you could have spent two rounds already pouding the front with las cannons. Evey turn the oblits arn't on the table is a round you lose all their firepower. Plus I just find deep strike too risky most of the time. I've seen too many opponents get screwed because of a bad deviation to have much faith in it myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast