Defilers in thousand sons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defilers in thousand sons

I am just starting out collecting Thousand sons and i am having difficulty figuring out the best Heavy Support choices available.

The people at the club i go to are enthusiastic about defilers and love them.
    Now i'm not so sure, because on forums people say there are better choices out there and that they are too costly (pointswise). People have also complained about their fragile nature.

I still think they can be amazing through the brute force of the Battle Cannon. What is also good about Defilers, i think is if some small elite unit reaches relatively close to your lines, you can wipe them out in close combat even though the defiler has medicore stats.

So i was thinking if anyone has any opinions on Defilers and how to kit them out if you were using them, becausing i am deeply struggling with this decision.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Ok, this is how I see it: Defilers are nice, they're very much worth the points as long as you build them conservitivly. I reccomend base defiler + 1 upgrade: either indirect fire, OR mutated hull.

BUT you need to ask yourself if they fit the roll that you need them to in your army. Battlecannons are best when firing at MEQ's where they mangle easily the expensive marines, or when firing into large formations of troops where even a scatter will likely kill a lot of guys anyway (and best of all combining the two)

While they can potentially kill any tank in the game. . . against heavy tanks it's a longshot, and against light tanks there are far more reliable and cheaper options available.

You mentioned thousand sons as your chosen chapter: think about what they're good at killing: Bolt of change on your AC's will be killing those MeQ's pretty good, and those move& fire with no range penalty bolters are good at killing hordes too. So your basic troops are pretty good at handling the type of targets that your defilers are good with. For this reason I say you don't NEED a defiler. For Heavy support I suggest you could use a more dedicated tank buster. Say the las/autocannon predator or two. That is what I would reccomend taking for heavy support.

So my vote goes to it's OK to have one, but be sure to take at least one predator first in your case.

Mind I don't play TS so take this with a grain of salt.
    Votewar MKV 2nd place. . .

Back from internet limbo, and glad to be here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Thousand Sons usually don't pack a lot of punch in cc so a mutated hull defiler could be what your after. Bolt of change isn't really that great against MEQ's as its designed to be an expensive anti-tank weapon. I think a mutated hull defiler could be what you're looking for. Along with a mutated hull dreadnought once you get to bigger points costs.

Now that would scare people slightly. :yes: no-one wants to get into cc with those 2 monsters. And your thousand sons and bolts of change can eliminate threats to them.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

After playing 1000 Sons for a long time I came to realise they are great at killing troops of all kinds, and not too great at killing tanks. Even CC I found was ok because you're still a Marine, and you've withered them down a good deal. Same reason Necrons are still good in CC.

So what you need is not a Defiler (troop killer), but a lascannon predator and a Dreadnaught with lascannon. Nice amount of lascannons and the Dreadnaught can support in CC against scarier opponents.
    Current Armies:
    Beasts of Chaos (4000)
    Chaos Marines (3000)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Defilers in tandem are a barrel of laughs.
    In larger games it isn't cheesy at all either.
    1 ordnance weapon is scary, but you can rely on it missing. With 2, suddenly your opponent will start to sweat.. heh heh.

As for defilers in CC.. they're as bad as a carnifex which has been armed with gun biomorphs.

If you want a CC machines, leave that to dreads - when they blood rage it's really really quite amusing.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

I find defilers to be unfluffy in Tsons. I much prefer dreads. Las dreads.

Thats just my style, though.
    Last edited by P-Tail; November 27th, 2006 at 17:53.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I love my Defilers and especially for Thousand Sons I found them very useful.

It's not their troop-killing ability that is the thing with them, but their Indirect Fire.
    What the Sons are missing is sxpeed. We all know this. And speed is greatly needed when you fight armies thaat have a lot of hidden units. I'm thinking about Tau, with their Battlesuits, and Guards with all their Bassies etc.
    To even try to take them out without using Indirect fire you'll need vey specialized units/ ICs that will cost more then a Defiler or two.
    I don't care if some people think of them as "unfluffy" for Thousand Sons. I love them.
    They will also soak a lot of the heavy weapons early in the game, people will therefore ignore your Rubrics and then when the Defiler is gone, it'll be to late for them...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Listen to Andusciassus. He's the Thousand Sons pro around these parts.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

+ Reply to Thread