Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I'm looking to get in to 40k after a long hiatus and have my sights set on a thousand sons army. I'm looking for advice from people who play 1k sons (or chaos in general) and have some wisdom to share.
Okay, for heavy support i have heard from local players that the defiler is generally overpriced for what it does. Sure it is sX ap X (perfect marine antidote) but it is fairly expensive, extraordinarily large, and relatively fragile. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
The dreadnought is always something i wanted to run (plus the forge world model looks sweet). I was thinking of giving it twin-linked las and a cc weapon. If I ran a pred instead, which though less cool seems to have more firepower for the points, it looks like the best setup is autocannon turret and lascannon sponsons (the assumption for both of these is that i will be going tank hunting but the dread has the added benefit of being able to tear it up in melee).
For HQ I have two real options-shooty lord with bolt of change and 3-4 thralls for pumping out two bolts a turn. Alternatively I could use a lord on a disk decked out for cc with gift or wind of chaos. Of course the cc lord is more expensive, but as thousand sons are a slow shooty army i am probably not going to be able to avoid getting into combat with a dedicated assault army. Of course, 1k sons strike at iX now, but they atill aren't going to be winning any assaults.
Q's on the usefulness of the following units:
Chosen: Is it useful to have a squad of these guys? If i did, should i give them demonic flight (only X points each) or throw them in a transport? I'm going to assume that their primary use is cc (though a squad loaded down with Bolts designed specifically to take down tanks/terms seems cool). Your thoughts on running chosen tzeentch?
Possessed: These guys seem prohibitively expensive and under the new rules cant assault out of transports, which means that you would have to give them demic flight to make them worth it, which then makes them X points a model. Am i right in avoiding these guys like the plague?
Rubric Termies: Worth it? They might be useful b/c they strike at iX now, but they are still slow and primarily a cc unit. Resilient as all hell though.
Edited out stats and points. ~Lost Nemesis
Last edited by Lost Nemesis; December 6th, 2006 at 23:56.
Well, if you are going to play 1k sons i'd reccomend reading the article in the main index forum on how to play them, it is stickied on the top of the forum.
As for heavy support options, you can't go wrong with havocs, but unfortunately those are unavailable to the followers of tzeentch. However, the rest of the HS are great depending on who you are planning on playing against. Defilers aren't that out of whack point wise, and you can find a rather long thread a few spaces down in this same forum titled "Defiler = bad?" that will tell you all about it. The whole point of the Defiler is to sit behind a tree and rain down pie plates. I personally find more value in that it forces my opponent to move in certain areas, versus the actual kill point bonuses. For your other options, I really don't like Dreadnoughts. They are just too slow and easy to kill in my opinion. They can get swarmed too easily, and cost as much as a predator. The only thing i like them for is the Plasma Cannon, but even that becomes too expensive. On the other hand, Predators offer you a lot of bang for your buck. It is best to set them up either for anti-horde or anti-tank (las) instead of mixing though. You can check out this tread for more information:
For possessed, you can read the post a few spaces down, or consult the tactica written at : http://www.librarium-online.com/inde...d=265&Itemid=2
You are right that they are prohibitively expensive, but they can be fun to play and model.
welcome to the ways of chaos
1. well for the defiler EcchuBlessu hit the nail on the head.
2. Personally i love the dreadnought it can be kitted out to do many things and i always run atleast 2 of them in my death guard. 1 with plasma cannon and DCCW, and 1 with TW lascannon and missile launcher. But...you can't overlook the predator even though i dont really like tanks (except walkers) it is damn good at what it does. I always have 1 kitted with Autocannon turret, lascannon sponsons and extra armor.
3. well im not the expert on thousand sons but what i would do is have a lord fully CCed up and then a lieut. running around (or flying) with a kai gun.
4. If i used chosen i wouldnt have them all flying around because that is just plain expensive thats X amount of chosen champions and then they all have flight. and since they're tzeentch chosen they can become even more expensive with their sorcerer abilities and next thing you know you have a 750pt fire magnet running around the board. With the possessed you have almost the same problem except your not paying for X amount of champions. Personally i wouldnt give these guys flight, stuff them into a rhino and give them demonic talons and run them up the board popping smoke. And even then i wouldnt use them unless in 1850pt games and up.
5. If I'm right tzeentchian terminators can still deep strikem, if so then they could be one hell of a unit. With 2 wounds each they could just be deep striked or telehomered into your opponents lines and tye up a unit for atleast 2 turns. I would probably only use them for that, i wouldn't base my game plan or get my hopes up on them.
1000 sons is widely regarded as the hardest Chaos 'discipline' to master.
Your basic troops function unsusually and are expensive. Your daemons also aren't particularly standard fair.
Rubric terminators can still deepstrike, but unlike loyalist ones, this mission dependant, so in alpha level games, they WILL be slow and they will be difficult to use.
I would recommend a black legion/thousand sons mix at first. This gives you a nice taste of tzeentch but with a little of the reliablity of the ubiqutous Chaos Space Marines undivided and obliterators.
For thousand sons related matters our two resident experts (currently active anyway) are Andusciassus and Hotspike.
.p.s. - are you aware why a moderator edited your post?
LO RulesOriginally Posted by AnonymousOriginally Posted by Cyric
SO for the dreadnought it would be slightly harder to swarm with the coruscating warp flame. I wasnt so much worried about it getting swarmed as getting shot to pieces.
From what I understand, the autocannon/las sponsons *is* the anti-tank option. Against anything against av 14 targets, it will be fairly effective. I could use some input on upgrades; would you guys consider it worth it to add either demonic possession or mutated hull, or perhaps both?
The rubric termies I probably wouldn't consider running unless I had a land raider, mainly because they are only really effective at ranges <12".