Modeling the Kai gun - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x1)

Modeling the Kai gun

How do you model the Kai gun?

I dont want to use the one from GW. I'd rather model one myself. I've been thinking about using stormbolters and/or haevy bolters.

Any tips?

Ikterus

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Ash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    333 (x5)

Yeah. The GW one from the latest Chaos Lord looks more like a twinned plasma gun/thing.
    Looking back through old White D's; WD 296 had a nice piece about an Iron Warrior's army (article title,� Will of Iron", p.94). The author had converted a Chaos Marine holding 'Kai Gun' using parts from a chaos marine autocannon (9947010207407) combined with one of the 'Ironhands' arms, the one where the hand is hard wired into the gun (9947010129708 ). He used it pretty much as it came, just removing the flash suppressor and bayonet. IMO it still looked like an autocannon, not the 'mother of all heavy bolters' that I imagined. If I was going to have a go, I would want it to appear as a cross between a large heavy bolter and a psycannon (anti-psycannon).
    The classic chaos Havoc heavy bolter body and back pack are good as they come with lots of heavy bolter ammo belts attached (9947010201202 & 9947010201204).
    Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

I'm just about finished with my chaos lieut w/ dameonic flight & a Kai Gun. I used various things from my garage, such as drill bits. Basically, I looked for cylindrical objects that were about 2-3 times larger than a bolter. Then I glued a small socket bit to the end. It came out very well. I'll try and finish the mini up today and post images of it, so that you can see what I'm talking about.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x1)

Check out Karmoon's blog. He just posted pictures of a conversion and I am using that as a basis for mine. Basically, a modified HB, with the end cut off, and a vehicle "dragon head" thingy for a barrel. It's a pretty sweet concept.
    R.I.P. Iron Warriors, you will be missed.

Ash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    333 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by boydgarrett View Post
    Then I glued a small socket bit to the end. It came out very well.
    Love to see that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I wound up building mine out of models and bits I had handy. In this case, some extra weapons leftover from Imperial Guard heavy weapon teams. I used the heavy bolter, trimmed it down to be more like a giant bolter and removed the Imperial icons. Check it out on my Chaos Lt with flight / Kai gun:

Front
    Back
    Left Side
    Right Side

Yeah yeah, it's a girl. Daemon-possessed slave that's my story and I'm sticking to it! (Plus I had like, 3 copies of Kruellah the Vile laying around >_> )

Oh, and here's the model pre-paint. It was my first try at greenstuffing but it came out decent I think, other then the fingerprints <_<

Front
    Back

Did the wing frames with Hormoguant leg bits. I figure flight's the best combo with a Kai Gun, hence the mention
    Last edited by Xardian; December 12th, 2006 at 16:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Take a normal bolter and glue enough bitz on it to make it look evil! There isn't really a rule "to model a Kai-gun".

Ash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

333 (x5)

Thats a nice pair of....wings you've done there Xardian .
    First impression of Kai gun in this format was its resemblance to a giant/daemon sized bolt pistol.
    I was wondering what it would look like with either a suitably large magazine or belt of ammo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the first kai gun i ever saw modelled was on a separate base to the model 'carrying it'

it had sentinel legs (i think) & a control cable leading back to the champion & it was HUGE

shame but i cant find it to link to.. suffice to say it looked alien in its design which worked well i thought
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Give Daddy a kiss...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

I've always thought the GKs Psi-cannon pimped out would look great as a kai-gun.
    Kai gun is a heavy bolter on crack so using anything with a heavy bolter as the base model is fair game in my book.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast