Librarium Online Forums banner

Havoc Launchers!

855 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Andusciassus 
#1 ·
So I was going through the bits box the other day and found 4 unused havoc launchers and the wheels in my head started turning and brought up this question: can you mount multiple havoc launchers on a vehicle? I didnt see anywhere in the codexes or rule books that said you couldn't, but I figured it might be a rule that kind of goes without saying.

Since I like to heavily mod models and come up with new and strange stuff the image of a rhino with a trio of launchers on it popped in. Anyone know if this is legal?

#2 ·
Well, I can't find anywhere in the codex where it says it s illegal so I guess go for it! But I would suggest putting it on a pred or raider as a rhino isnt going to be shooting much as you always want those things moving also a raider and pred are tougher so it would be better to spend that amount of points on them instead of a rhino.

#3 ·
Agreed. I'm no weird-boy-ork-nob-farseer-rule-lawyer-synapse-librarian or anything, but I can't see it being illegal.

The big question, of course, is WHY?

For the cost, it really really itsn't worth it unless your opponent takes nothing but grots/gaunts.

It does stupilate something about combi bolters though - which is annoying as they're infinitely more usefull being cheaper and able to upgrade them to metla guns.

I'd rather spend the points on something else.

#5 ·
Well, there's a rule that forbids you to put more that one combi-bolter onto your vehicle, but no such rule for any other chaos vehicle upgrade. At least I can't find it.
Does this mean we can stuck multiple Daemonic Runes or Mutated Hulls?
However, there's that rule that forbids taking the same wargear twice? Does anyone remember its location so I could check the wording?

#7 ·
I had thought this was covered in the FAQ, but I can't seem to find it. It's also not mentioned anywhere in the Codex. But I know I've read somewhere that you couldn't 'double up' on Vehicle Upgrades. Possibly on the GW boards that are now no longer existent.

Seems that for the time being that it's legal enough. Not something I would ever try in a tournament, however.

#8 ·
dual launchers

I think i actually posted this identical post a couple months ago as i liked the look of dual havoc launchers on my dreadnaught. Consensus was that its not allowed as you can't take the same upgrade twice.

For example.
I would be careful because technically marine players could take multiple hunter killer missiles. Imagine a landraider sitting back getting an extra krak missile shot every turn for a small points investment.

#9 ·
I think i actually posted this identical post a couple months ago as i liked the look of dual havoc launchers on my dreadnaught. Consensus was that its not allowed as you can't take the same upgrade twice.

For example.
I would be careful because technically marine players could take multiple hunter killer missiles. Imagine a landraider sitting back getting an extra krak missile shot every turn for a small points investment.
I don't know if I would call 90pts for one extra krak shot a turn a small points investment for a vehicle that already costs a boat ton of points.
I agree, I've tried using the havoc launcher and it sucks, hands down, sucks, even against tyranids, it sucks.

#10 ·
There we go, an experienced opinion.

If you want a fun bling Rhino, definitely try upgrading the combi bolter to a combi melta. And watch the fun as it pops something 4 times it's cost.

Out of interest..can you upgrade the combi bolter it comes with?

#15 ·
IF they reduced the points cost to about 5 or 10 then it might be worth considering. But as it stands.. it doesn't even make a good item to psychologically scare you opponent with. Rhino with 2 havoc launchers is 100 points!

i'd rather take two rhinos and try to tank shock people.

#16 ·
Hehe, stick 2 on a Rhino and you get a mini-Whirlwind that can shoot 4 shots a turn AND transport 10 troops, for only 100 points. Has slightly less power but same range as Whirlwind, I see it being good against swarm armies, no? Only problem is it needs line of sight.

Hm... if I ever do make a 2000pt IW list i might just have to include one or two of those...

#17 ·
Misanthrope said:
stick 2 on a Rhino and you get a mini-Whirlwind
It would be far to mini for my liking, I wonder if you could even use such a small whirlwind in Epic?
Your points would be far better placed if you bought even Horrors for them.
Like good Karmoon says, if they were far cheaper they could be an option, but at the high price they are now - not a chance. Three Havoc Launchers or an Obliterator and some extra points?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.