Most competetive Legion? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

Most competetive Legion?

What is generally accepted as being the most competetive and potentially powerful Traitor Legion? I've heard repeatedly that IW is probably the best -- but what makes it so much more better than, say, the Black Legion, who by what I've read are incredibly versatile? Is the extra Heavy Support slot really that much of a bonus?

Takka n' Wakka's Dakka Attacka! 33W / 6L / 1D

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well

I think Iron Warriors are the strongest legion not only because of the additional heavy support, but also because of the obliterators. Having them act independently, even if you don't take more than three, is a huge help. I also feel that most of the daemons are not worth their points, and are very difficult to use. Personally, I hate relying on daemons because they are so unpredictable and you can't really bank on them being there when you need them. That isn't to say they aren't great, but I just see them as a difficult instrument to use properly.

Next on my power chart would probably be Alpha Legion. Infiltration for such a cheap cost is just awesome. AL doesn't have to be infantry based at all, and can create a well balanced list.
    After AL, Word Bearers come in a close third. All infantry WB with a solid mix of daemons and delivery devices can take down just about anyone. Who else can field 9 troop choices of 20 CSM each? Nobody... and even if you can't fit that many points into a game, your opponent has to realize how difficult 100+ MEQ wounds will be to kill.

Black Legion is a solid list, but in my opinion, doesn't have anything special to set it apart from the rest of the crowd. With no clear cut advantages, I can't really call them the best legion as they are just the Ultramarines of Chaos. BL is a good beginners army and can be crafted into a solid tournament list, but in the grand scheme of things a core-specific army with legion-specific traits is going to give you the best bang for your buck.

On a sidenote, I wish Chaos had more viable FA options because Night Lords and Stealth Adept kind of makes me drool at the possibilities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

You always need to phrase these questions as to what people believe is the most effective. Otherwise mods come along locking them.

Alpha Legion is probably the most popular on LO due to infiltrating, tank hunting havocs (and because Caluin plays them).

World Eaters are notorious amongst the non-chaos players for being the most powerful. Amongst chaos players its generally a tie between Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion for best.

Iron Warriors are not effective because of extra heavy support (although that helps). They are effective because of infinite obliterators. That means along with 4 heavy's the amount of firepower they can dish out... along with 5 man undivided squads /w plasma gun and missile launcher.

Slaanesh and Night Lords are generally seen as the weakest but I don't know if that reputation is valid or not.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

It's hard to specifically determine who is the best. Each Legion is the best at doing something. Death Guard (and, arguably, the Thousand Sons) are the toughest, World Eaters the choppiest, Alpha Legion the cunnin'est. Black Legion the most well rounded, etc, etc.

Iron Warriors are the most popular, I believe, due to their firepower being easily exploited in an army list. People like being able to split up their Obliterators into seperate squads, too.
    Last edited by Captain America; December 29th, 2006 at 10:18.
    I'm an American, religious, male and a proud Republican. You have your beliefs and (gasp) I have mine. Deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    To be "owned" in a game or otherwise is to be miserably defeated by an opponent or an opposing team.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    It's hard to specifically determine who is the best. Each Legion is the best at doing something. Death Guard are the toughest, World Eaters the choppiest, Alpha Legion the cunnin'est. Black Legion the most well rounded, etc, etc.
    Hmm, I'm not sure if the Death Guard are truly the toughest or not. The Thousand Sons are at least equally durable, though less adaptable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most competitive army are the Iron Warriors i think, 9 Obliterator, a basilik, some predator or dread(dont remember wich one is the best), and like LordLink said, 5man squad with plasma pistol and rocket laucher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

id say black legion, can bear any mark and have ALL options, other than them id say iron warriors with 9 oblitz, 3 defilers a basilisk and a daemon prince in a 1500 army, rock on!

but saying that they can only bear the mark of chaos undivided so cant use an infiltrating havoc squad with mark of slaanesh with 4 blastmasters and 6 with sonic blasters for example, (take tank hunters and your in business) or a squad of khorne chosen on bikes all with axes of khorne , also they cant use bloodletters or daemonettes, who kick ass, whereas black legion can take ANYTHING.

black legion all the way
    Last edited by Dr Snuggles; December 29th, 2006 at 06:53.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    If you buy a fire prism you get a complete falcon plus the extra bits required to make ti into a complete waste of space

No Rest For the Righteous Ebon Hand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x3)

I'm surprised no one has mantioned the Word Bearers. Where I live, I've heard nothing but tales of destruction from those who encountered Word Bearers players, leaving me excited to find one myself and face him. Past tournaments have ended with Word Bearers on the top at the end, so something about them has to be right.

I think the fact that they make widespread use of Deamons makes them hard to plan against, and their Fallen Chaplains are no doubt pretty nasty. Also, they are still Undivided, so that means they have access to Obliterators and Raptors; both fearsome options.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the legions that i've seen to be most 'effictive' in my playing around are: alpha legion, iron warriors, word bearers and black legion.

AL, IW are effictive for the reasons above. black legion because of the range you can get with it, (but i wouldnt put it at the top of my list)

and word bearers can be scary good. i set a friend of mine who had only played 2 games or 40k before, with a word bearers deamon bomb list and he got second in a local tournment.

MR.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of the undivided legions, is the MoCU really worth it? I mean in a IW army if I give my squad the MoCU I then have to choose between either infiltrate and tank hunt or furious charge and/or whatever else, is it worth it?
    I'm a rookie concerning chaos so sorry if this is a dumb question.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast