Chaos Bikers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chaos Bikers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos Bikers

In my neverending quest to try new things and improve on my list, I've been looking at how to use Chaos Bikers. My initial idea was to use them as a long range support or assault group, with the added ability to take table quarters. Now, since I want them to be good for capturing table quarters I need to have at least 6 of them and they end up becoming quite expensive.

My plan really is to use chaos bikers and chaos raptors in my Iron Warriors list and not take 3 heavy support options. At the 1500 level, however, this just doesn't seem feasible. Especially since I am having a conflict regarding each units intent. Either way I end up with virtually identical units that are horrendously expensive. I envisioned an army with a few independent obliterators, two or three dreadnoughts, two fast attack options, and some plasma squads... but the numbers just aren't crunching!

Hlep! Any suggestions are welcome... including opinions on the overall feasibility of a list constructed in the nature I have described. It just seems to me that two FA just won't fit in a Chaos army unless one of them are furies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Two FA just won't fit in a 1500 Chaos Army, unless you are playing Death Guard.
    And you can't use bikes as your only means of assault (not counter-charge). They can spearhead it, but alone they'll be crushed. Use them for harrassing or conter-charging.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by EcchuBlessu View Post
    In my neverending quest to try new things and improve on my list, I've been looking at how to use Chaos Bikers. My initial idea was to use them as a long range support or assault group, with the added ability to take table quarters. Now, since I want them to be good for capturing table quarters I need to have at least 6 of them and they end up becoming quite expensive.

My plan really is to use chaos bikers and chaos raptors in my Iron Warriors list and not take 3 heavy support options. At the 1500 level, however, this just doesn't seem feasible. Especially since I am having a conflict regarding each units intent. Either way I end up with virtually identical units that are horrendously expensive. I envisioned an army with a few independent obliterators, two or three dreadnoughts, two fast attack options, and some plasma squads... but the numbers just aren't crunching!

Hlep! Any suggestions are welcome... including opinions on the overall feasibility of a list constructed in the nature I have described. It just seems to me that two FA just won't fit in a Chaos army unless one of them are furies.
    Ingeneral, bikers are pretty pricy, and I don't really reccomend them in any games(let alone under 1500pts, raptors are just better in my opinion)

Well, remember that IW whether you use your extra Heavy slot, you still "lose" the fast attack options, so you only have one slot available, you'd have to go "black legion" or some other non-fast attack limiting option to make use of multiple squads.

Here are my reccomendations on the loadout on bikers ecchu
    Bikers: minimum of 5, take meltas for tank hunting if you need, take furious charge as their vet skill, there may be some targets you want to assault in a pinch.
    Their sarge should come with a power weapon and daemonic strength.

So, long and short, I equip them like my raptors. and they do pretty well, just remember to tuck them behind cover here and there so they don't get punished simply for being expensive.

hope this helps, man.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak View Post
    Well, remember that IW whether you use your extra Heavy slot, you still "lose" the fast attack options, so you only have one slot available, you'd have to go "black legion" or some other non-fast attack limiting option to make use of multiple squads.
    Yak, you should know better (silly) . It's an option for both I.W. & N.L. to gain and lose F.O. slots, but it isn't mandatory. Codex, p.41, "The I.W. are characterised by their heavy equipment and *may* include an extra Heavy Support selection in return for two Fast Attack selections.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by boydgarrett View Post
    Yak, you should know better (silly) . It's an option for both I.W. & N.L. to gain and lose F.O. slots, but it isn't mandatory. Codex, p.41, "The I.W. are characterised by their heavy equipment and *may* include an extra Heavy Support selection in return for two Fast Attack selections.
    huh.. wow, I completely missed the "may" in all of those cases!
    hah. thanks bunnyman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

Bikes are a very hard unit to make worth their points. I've used them in a couple of games and I'm having a hard time making them useful. GL!
    Takka n' Wakka's Dakka Attacka! 33W / 6L / 1D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
    Bikes are a very hard unit to make worth their points. I've used them in a couple of games and I'm having a hard time making them useful. GL!
    guuh.. Echu forgive me,

but, I gotta agree with misanthrope on this one.

One paper they seem pretty good. And I think they actually are, they're just a unit which requires a lot of experience to use properly.. like raptors, terminators, possessed etc etc.. Maybe..

Or i'm just deceiving myself .. and others. And i don't like to be deceivéd.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think bikes like so frequently stated are an iffy unit at best....for obvious reasons.

that being said, i see great potential in using bikes as an antitank unit. using geometry and a solid 2 hour block of on the clock time i found out that bikes with plasma guns can very easily grab side armor shots on tanks. granted that for a 3 bike squad with 2 plasma guns you pay 125 points(assuming u go undivided, little assumption that it is). thats a pretty treacherous unit in the right army. and a fair amount of easy vp's. i think for any non standard unit(oblits and csm squads) you must have synergy in mind from the get go. the 45 degree angle rule pretty much means you have got to pay attention to your distances. not only would this suggested unit be able to grab side armor shots on preds and russes, but they could be excellent. chaos has some of the best units for leading your opponent to create missmatches, in your favor, use this to your advantage.

as far as the bike plus demon bomb goes i am not a fan. too fragile, perhaps.

if you are tempted to take bikes for an iron warriors army i would advise against it, with the caveat that everything you take should have a purpose and work cohesively with the rest of your forces.

good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

I'd really like to make the Bikes work... I spent $80 (Canadian) on my lil 5-man Biker squadron and they've let me down completely so far.. also I just don't have the cash at the moment to replace them so for the moment I'm stuck with them. But I'll be damned if I don't try to make them work.
    Takka n' Wakka's Dakka Attacka! 33W / 6L / 1D

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
    I'd really like to make the Bikes work... I spent $80 (Canadian) on my lil 5-man Biker squadron and they've let me down completely so far.. also I just don't have the cash at the moment to replace them so for the moment I'm stuck with them. But I'll be damned if I don't try to make them work.
    Bikes are hard to use, period. they're a lot more fragile than many people see them to be, they, like raptors cannot take punishment. Once you see that they become better and easier to use.

When ever I take bikes, they are always, always, always, skulking around the flanks. Closer to my side than their side, behind cover and waiting for something oportune to get close enough, and then spring it on them. I don't ever let them lead the charge, its suicide.
    they should never see action unless there's an easy target, or your main force is less 2 turns or less away, guaranteed.

I've seen raptors and bikes used very effectively together. one supporting the each other, and i've used them that way in my alpha from time to time too(non-infiltrating sac-relige, I know)
    but they just aren't a stand alone unit and should never ever be used that way.

+ Reply to Thread