Possessed? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possessed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

Possessed?

HI

I'm interested in pursuing unconventional tactics that are fluffy to use with my Worldeaters. Particularly anti-tank.

Now I had a game the other day in which I fielded a Lt with Talons and Speed, and I really, really loved how he performed (first I kinda hid him in ambush-mode for the first 3 turns of the game, hoping the enemy would forget about him (which worked) and as a nice juicy Vindicator came rumbling by he leapt out and eviscerated it completely).

So I'm thining of maybe fielding a squad of Possessed with Talons sometime in the future as a sort of anti-tank unit, however the price is a little much for my liking (250 or so for an 8-man unit, with no upgrades except MoK and Talons) What I'm interested in, is will they be worth it? That basically equates to 28 rending attacks base for the whole unit (36 charging) which should equate to a powerful CC unit. They also get their invulnerable save and +1 str.

So yeah, question is, how have you guys used Possessed in the past (particularly with Talons), how have they faired, etc? Should the Champion get further upgrades like power fists? Or are there just so many rending attacks that it's really not necessary to take fists? I'm also trying to keep points cost down.

Last edited by Caluin; December 30th, 2006 at 02:19.
    Takka n' Wakka's Dakka Attacka! 33W / 6L / 1D

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Possessed aren't usually worth their points, to begin with. The main problem you'll run into is that they become a high priority target for your opponent (like raptors, bikers, and termis). They rarely make their points back. As for using them for tank busting, this probably isn't the best option. Every vehicle with the exception of walkers can simply outrun you. If a vehicle moves then you're likely only hit it on a 6. Now, I can see your problem; that is, as a Khorne player, you're short on tank busting units. Still, possessed aren't the best way to deal with tanks. They function better as anti-troop options. However, W.E. armies rarely need more ways of killing troops, since you already have zerkers and letter (two of the best 3+ troop killers in the game). If you choose to take a unit of possessed, then by all means, they need to be in a rhino. They won't last long on their own. Additionally, you'll want to take at least one more rhino filled w/ regular zerkers (perhaps two) in order to 'hide' your possessed and give your opponent more vehicles to consier when trying to take out your possessed.

If you really need tank busting options, then my suggestion would be to take predators w/ autocannon turrets and lascannon sponsons. Give the pup damonic possession. In 1850 point games, take three of them.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

What about for an army that isn't world eaters?

I toyed with this idea for a bit as well, but in a slaanesh black legion army. Although the unit does seems prohibitively expensive at first, it could do some nice damage to enemy troops and elites.

I hadn't really fleshed the idea out too much but it went something like this: Statured Lord with talons (Not really necessary I know, but cool), Possessed with talons, daemonettes... and that was about as far as I got with the idea. Seemed like it'd be fun though, with all that rending. If only chaos dreads could get assault cannons the list would be complete.

XD
    "You challenge me knowing that I am Xiahou Dun!?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Here's the deal (I love deals):

For B.L. & E.C. armies, it's cheaper to use dameonettes than possessed w/ render. While the possessed have more staying power, they are at the same time a major target and will likely lose 30-50% of their numbers while advancing towards c.c.. Save the points and just use d'ettes. This same philosophy applies to almost every possessed configuration. The best options for possessed tend to be the streamlined versions. Something like this:

8x possessed w/ MoCU, bolt pistols & c.c. weapons
    *1x A.C. w/ MoCU, bolt pistol & power fist
    *rhino w/ smoke

TOTAL POINTS: 257 points

Taking daemonic upgrades on possessed makes them such a target for your enemy, that in the end, you pay so many points for models that rarely see c.c., and if they do, they virtually never make their points back. Keep them cheap. Remember, basic possessed w/ no daemonic upgrades are still good c.c. models. If you must take a daemonic upgrade, consider daemonic visage. It's cheap and will actually do something against most enemy units (especially Necrons). Still, for the point cost above, you're not getting anything but a c.c. unit- i.e., no special weapons for tank busting or taking down elite troops. Even streamlined, it's difficult to see possessed working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

I never actually realized that -- Possessed without daemonic gifts. Give them all Khornate Chainaxes and you have a unit of Berzerkers with a strength boost and invulnerable saves, for only 8 more points than regular Berzerkers. Anyone ever try this? Although they might get shot up, atleast they have the invulnerable save, and it'll save a lot of regular Berzerkers in the process... the only downside is that they can't take frags. Anyway, sounds like a good "shock" unit.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
    I never actually realized that -- Possessed without daemonic gifts. Give them all Khornate Chainaxes and you have a unit of Berzerkers with a strength boost and invulnerable saves, for only 8 more points than regular Berzerkers. Anyone ever try this? Although they might get shot up, atleast they have the invulnerable save, and it'll save a lot of regular Berzerkers in the process... the only downside is that they can't take frags. Anyway, sounds like a good "shock" unit.
    I've tried using 'streamlined' possessed, and they still got shot at. Players just don't like seeing possessed on the table. Also, even if they do take incoming fire, and you lose some, then you're still saving points over the possessed option with daemoinc upgrades. This, to me, is a big selling point, especially since the staying power of possessed is not increased with the upgrades (basically, you're paying for more offense).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

I'm definately going to give that a try, then. Thanks a bunches! I'm gonna post a new list soon *rep*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Bear in mind, that if you give your possessed unit talons, then the asp champ can't take a power fist - because talons restricts the use of any other weaponry.

Khorne works well with talons because you're naturally increasing the chances of rending. Additionally, Khorne has the potential to blood rage. This is favourable because we all know that possessed have mobility problems.

Personally, I like nurgle possesed with talons. I use them as a counter assault unit.
    But vanilla possessed with a power fist champ sounds pretty cool if you ask me.

Possessed are on the verge of being incredible. but there's too many things which hold them back. I really wish we could use all aspects of our codex.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x3)

I know they are overpriced, but I think if I am playing Khorne I like to give my possesed daemonic flight and chain axes. First they can get to the enemy quickly and be used for summoning bloodletters, so an early arival of Daemons doesn't open them up to too much shooting. Second I think that chain axes are just as good at killing low save models as talons--espcailly with the strength upgrade. Also the invulnerable save gives them a chance to stand up to tough units. With their mobility, ability to wounds tough baddies, number of attacks to wound numerous baddies, and the biggest plus I think in a WE army is that they don't get sucked into the near unit because of a failed blood rage, which is important because you want to use them to make surgical strikes against the most brutal opponents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Nichodemus,
    I think that's a great idea for possessed actually. Chain axes is a nice trade off against high armour opponents.
    Just bear in mind that talons is very good and recommend because it ignores toughness.

So, although slower, taloned ones will make mincemeat of a carnifex, whereas you're not guaranteed anything with chainaxes.

Depends what you want them to go against though.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast