bloodthirster, worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

bloodthirster, worth it?

i was thinking of maybe getting a bloodthirster as my second HQ once my army gets a little larger. is he all that he really that good. or is he over rated. i was kind of turned off by that instability check he has to make every turn.

That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Alex, so you only need to make instability checks each turn IF the host is killed before he is summoned.

Check it out. If the daemonhost is killed before he delivers his package to your foes, then the greater daemon is summoned and each turn you need to make an instability check.

If the greater daemon is summoned as normal, then the only time you need to make an instability check is from lost combats.

Otherwise, the bloodthirster is a mighty fine choice. Some people like the KoS, over the bloodthirster(mainly because the BT is the most expensive, yatta yatta yatta).

I PERSONALLY would reccomend taking a look at the points breakdown, do you ALREADY have a pricy HQ? If so, then I would suggest against a BT as the second HQ. If your HQ is a cheepy then a second HQ as the blood thirster isn't a bad choice. I just don't like investing too, too many points in the HQ section.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

++ EDIT - YAK! STOP POSTING FASTER, BEFORE and BETERERER THAN MEEEE!!++

He only has to make the instability check if he is summoned from a dead aspiring champion, or when he takes a leadership test.

The bloodthirster is worth it in my opinion, but only when the battle is large enough to accomodate him without sacrificing too much of your other forces.

My only problem with units/models of that high point cost is that.. while it's all fine and Mr. Dandy, you start thinking of how much else you could fit in for that amount of points.

Another squad of bezerkers?

A tooled up Predator?

Rhinos for 2 of your squads?

Swings and roundabouts really.

As ever, post a list for dissection, and then proxy until you're satisfied that it'll be something you're interested in. As gorgeous as the model is, if you're primarily a player, I would excercise caution.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

I'm one of those 'some people' that theYak mentioned, who prefer the K.O.S. to the Thirster. Then again, it also depends on your army- i.e., W.E. or B.L. On that note, I think I'll wait to say more until you post your list.

Edit: Just realized this post had no point what so ever. heh
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak View Post
    Alex, so you only need to make instability checks each turn IF the host is killed before he is summoned.
    we'll that makes him a lot more apealing.

Otherwise, the bloodthirster is a mighty fine choice. Some people like the KoS, over the bloodthirster(mainly because the BT is the most expensive, yatta yatta yatta).
    can't take keeper, have a lord with the mark of khorne-on-the-cob.

do you ALREADY have a pricy HQ? If so, then I would suggest against a BT as the second HQ. If your HQ is a cheepy then a second HQ as the blood thirster isn't a bad choice. I just don't like investing too, too many points in the HQ section.
    i'm not sure whats considered pricy. my lord is about 150pt and i am planning on cutting some stuff so he will be more like 135-145pt. i think he is kind of in the mid range.

anyway thx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by alexpape7 View Post
    we'll that makes him a lot more apealing.

can't take keeper, have a lord with the mark of khorne-on-the-cob.

i'm not sure whats considered pricy. my lord is about 150pt and i am planning on cutting some stuff so he will be more like 135-145pt. i think he is kind of in the mid range.

anyway thx
    True, pricy is a point of perspective. what I would personally consider pricy is anything over the 10% of the total army in points mark. So, the general rule I preach up and down is that an HQ section should not at MAX go above 15 to 20% of the points of a force. This is just something to keep my HQ sections down and manageable so not IF, but when they die, I can just shrug and know that I really didn't lose a whole heck of a lot.
    So, if the Blood thirster + Lord = 355pts, I wouldn't include both until 1850 at the earliest.
    But that's my own silly rule that some people actively dispute. If you're comfortable investing 20%+ in two models then go right ahead, but just remember that they are indeed 2 models, at 50+ pts a wound(right? 7 wounds between the 2 of them, about 50 pts a wound?).
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

So, if the Blood thirster + Lord = 355pts, I wouldn't include both until 1850 at the earliest.
    well, i'm starting small with 1000pt, and i'm not planning to get the thirster any time soon, just thought i would have a general idea on what to try out when i do expand my army.

thx:yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

450 (x8)

I'd go with a keeper over a bloodthirster anyday.. it's a more focused option, the bloodthirster is a bit 'well.. I can kill squads, and characters, and I can fly, and I cost ridiculous numbers of points for it.'

The bloodthirster is great, but you pay for what you get. If you're going to be using it to kill basic squads, I'd definately get a keeper, as it will be just as effective. The bloodthirster is kind of a 'covering all bases' option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

hey, i was wondering since you guys are being so help ful, and i know your all the "experts" when it comes to chaos, would you mind if i posted my list and got some advice about it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by alexpape7 View Post
    hey, i was wondering since you guys are being so help ful, and i know your all the "experts" when it comes to chaos, would you mind if i posted my list and got some advice about it.
    Its what we are here for, why id you think there is an army lists forum?

Post one in there and we will make an effort to cut it apart and make you feel bad untill you make an army we deem acceptable...
    I mean...
    We will give advice.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast