Project EC - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project EC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Project EC

This is the situation. I'm a total 40K noob, last time I played 40K was allmost a decade a go. Anyway a friend of mine sold some Emperor's Children and the price was very low, so I decided to by the lot.

Here is a list what he sold to me (Accordingly to him that is. I don't have a clue what I bought ):

-Daemon Prince
    -Slaanesh Hero on bike (Lightning Claw)
    -8 (Old) Daemonettes
    -3 squads of marines each containing 6 marines with 4 Sonic Blasters (converted from bolters) a Blastmaster (converted from bigger guns) and an Aspiring Champion
    -6 Havocs including 3 Blastmasters, 2 Bolters and an Aspiring Champion
    -6 old metal marines, no guns but he included some bits
    -The Codex

Here is a pic of them

More deatailed pics here: Warmaliini/Warhammer/EC - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So I have a few questions:
    1. What did I buy?
    2. What kind of an army is this?
    3. Where should I start list wise?
    4. What about painting?

Any help is appreciated and I'll try to answer any questions you may have. I'm going to update my progress in this topic.

Here is your chance to convert a Fantasy player in to 40K, do your best

Feel free to move this topic, if it's in the wrong place.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have indeed bought what your friend told you and it is a Emperor's Children, or at least a Slaanesh, army.
    GW Online : Warhammer 40,000 : Chaos Space Marines : The Four Colours of Chaos
    Here is a link for painting ECs.

Army list wise, start by having a look at you codex and seeing what you like.
    If you don't know how to play, get a squad or two painted up and pop down to you local club/GW and see if you can learn to play there (which you will if its a GW store).
    When you've grasped the basics it will become a lot clearer what you need in an army.

Just ask if you need any more help.
    W/D/L
    Crimson Fists 0/0/0
    Dwarfs 0/0/0 (work in progress)
    Chaos Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would suggest going to your local store with a basic 500pt list. probably two squads of csm and one of those asp champs as your lt.

a quick list (mind you i dont play EC) based on what you have for 500pts
    1 EC lt. with doom siren, power weapon, and bolt pistol

6 noise marines (with free asp champ) CCW, 2 sonic blasters, and power fist for champ

6 noise marines (free champ) bolters, 2 sonic blasters, power fist for champ

5 havocs, 2 blastmasters.

from there i would just play acouple games to see what works for you. and then start expanding it. some of the best things for EC are the deamonettes and noise weapons.

you might want to look in the army list forum here and see some of the example lists that have been made for EC. also in the army list designer a very friendly karmoon will help you if you just want a basic 500 or 1000 point list to start out with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I'd avoid powerfists on EC champs.. they're a tremendous waste.

I'm not sure about sticking any sonic blasters in your melee squads as well.. you're just saccrificing attacks. I'm going to just come out with it, and fact, and say that I think sonic blasters are a really awful option right now.

That said, if I were to use them, it would be in a 6 man squad, with 3-4 sonic blasters and maybe a blastmaster (the champion doesn't really need a special weapon.) That still leaves you one or two ablative marines

Blastmaster havoc squads are amazing.. Boost the number per squad to 4, if you can, to take advantage of blast template stacking effects. They're really very effective against everything except other marines.

Otherwise Silvanests list idea looks strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

A lot of the reason I play WarHammer is the hobby aspects, and that's a pretty fantastic collection of classic models. Also, this is incredibly minor, but you actually have four blastmasters (two of the old ones, two new ones) and that old school biker conversion is definitely the coolest bike I've ever seen, and maybe one of the coolest non-character models I've ever seen.

I agree with everything Mantis said. If you want to use sonic blasters I would have one squad with a few of them and a blastmaster if you want (I would say not and put 4 blastmasters in the havoc squad, but that's very much up to you, 500 points can be kind of tight), and then if you want to upgrade your Aspiring Champs you should get power weapons instead of fists because the Mark of Slaanesh can give you a pretty excellant initiative advantage. @ 500 points you're pretty much limited to three squads of whatever you like and a limited HQ, so I would start with that and build on what you feel like playing after reading the Codex/Rulebook.
    Back from the dead to haunt new houses.
    Send me a hello if you remember me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well there you go man, i'de deffently listen to the guys above me. i dont play EC (though i have been eyeing them they're an awesome army) so go with those suggestions and then find what fits your play style.

false emp has a great point though, if nothing else you have some realy cool looking classic models and i would deffently take some time and paint them up well (once you figure out what squads you want)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers guys, good replys. The main reason I bought these was the models, but it's nice to know these are good on the table too. I'm going to start with painting and after I have painted a few models, I think that I'm going to play a couple of games to get a feeling what these guys can do.

Now I have browsed through the codex and if I have understanded correctly the sonic Blasters and Blastmasters are pretty nice.

Thanks for the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Warma View Post
    Now I have browsed through the codex and if I have understanded correctly the sonic Blasters and Blastmasters are pretty nice.
    They are nice.. Statswise they're great weapons, it's more cost effectiveness which is an issue.

Marines with sonic blasters can deal out a lot of firepower, but because they cost so much, they're going to be a high priority target for the enemy, and they have to get pretty close to use their weapons. At 24", they're vulnerable to return fire from all kinds of basic weapons, and any casualties will cost you dearly.

The way to minimize this is to make sure every unit has some ablative wounds (i.e. marines without expensive weaponry) so that when you take casualties you can remove the cheap marines first. I'd try and employ them a bit like Tau fire warriors.. i.e. don't be afraid to move, and use terrain to try and limit the number of enemy units who can shoot back at you. They also need to be adequately supported so that they completely break or destroy squads in one turn rather than getting caught up in attrition firefights.

Bear in mind I haven't used them in years myself.. I found they were just getting minced in every game, and took them out in favour of more close combat squads. Noise marines are beasts in close combat.

Blastmasters, on the other hand, are amazing.. In a way, they're even less cost effective, but the big difference is that they have a longer range.. This means that most basic infantry weapons can't hit them, and they're seldom going to be playing the attrition game. Because of the way multiple blast templates work in the new rules, havoc squads with several blastmasters in a unit can rack up surprisingly high numbers of high strength hits, and can also hurt tanks and vehicles. All in all, they're very effective.

Hey.. You've got a great bits box, you've got some beautiful old models, it sounds like you got a great deal, especially compared to the price you'd pay in store.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; February 9th, 2007 at 14:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    They are nice.. Statswise they're great weapons, it's more cost effectiveness which is an issue.

Marines with sonic blasters can deal out a lot of firepower, but because they cost so much, they're going to be a high priority target for the enemy, and they have to get pretty close to use their weapons. At 24", they're vulnerable to return fire from all kinds of basic weapons, and any casualties will cost you dearly.

The way to minimize this is to make sure every unit has some ablative wounds (i.e. marines without expensive weaponry) so that when you take casualties you can remove the cheap marines first. I'd try and employ them a bit like Tau fire warriors.. i.e. don't be afraid to move, and use terrain to try and limit the number of enemy units who can shoot back at you. They also need to be adequately supported so that they completely break or destroy squads in one turn rather than getting caught up in attrition firefights.
    I used to play without ablative wounds and... well, suffice it to say I didn't win a whole lot. now I play about half and half (sometimes 5:3 in 8 person squads, expensive:cheap people) and especially against my CC marine friend I can usually have a squad of a few sonic blasters + a blastmaster shoot at the marines for a turn or two, charge them and strike first and finish off the sargeant as he's usually the only one left.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    Blastmasters, on the other hand, are amazing.. In a way, they're even less cost effective, but the big difference is that they have a longer range.. This means that most basic infantry weapons can't hit them, and they're seldom going to be playing the attrition game. Because of the way multiple blast templates work in the new rules, havoc squads with several blastmasters in a unit can rack up surprisingly high numbers of high strength hits, and can also hurt tanks and vehicles. All in all, they're very effective.
    I've wanted a squad of Blastmaster Havocs for a while but I don't know how to buy more Blastmasters without buying three more squads of Emperor's Children, which is a little too expensive for me. Is there a way to buy Blastmaster/Sonic Blaster models separately? (this is kind of an aside and I can move it to a separate thread if you want)
    Back from the dead to haunt new houses.
    Send me a hello if you remember me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So lets say 2 Sonic Blasters, 2 Bolters, 1 Blastmaster and an Aspiring champion in a squad. Does that sound allright? Then get up close, find some cover and fire away?

I've wanted a squad of Blastmaster Havocs for a while but I don't know how to buy more Blastmasters without buying three more squads of Emperor's Children, which is a little too expensive for me. Is there a way to buy Blastmaster/Sonic Blaster models separately? (this is kind of an aside and I can move it to a separate thread if you want)
    Hmm, GW doesn't sell them seperatly? Or you can try to convert them yuorself maybe. The Blastmasters in my normal squads are converted from various Chaos bits and I think they look allright .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast