Pandemic Staff use in a LatD list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Pandemic Staff use in a LatD list

Daemon weapons.

You only get one in any CSM or LatD list and most of them seem of more use than the Pandemic Staff.

Its main advantage of potentially hitting everyone in a squad is limited by a short range, a low strength with no AP and a 50% chance of missing.

With these limitations, its uses seem mainly directed towards large mobs of orks, gaunt hordes and guard conscripts.

Not a particulary wise choice for a CSM lord or lieutenant who should typically be using his high stat line and something that ignores armour to butcher rank and file power armoured opponents.

However, in a LatD list where your HQ can consist of just Aspiring Champions and where your main advantage is usually numbers it could be useful to make sure that you hold this advantage against your opponents.

Imagine that your mutant squads are given the advantage of moving as cavalry and are led by ACs with the Daemonic speed or mount ability. (Naturally both the mutant boss and the AC have powerfists.)

One of the ACs has the Pandemic staff. This negates the disadvantage of the staff's short range somewhat although to use it the rest of the squad wouldn't be able to use the fleet rule that turn.

Since the cost for the faster moving mutants is double that of normal you would end up in trouble in a battle of attrition against another horde list as your numbers won't match theirs. The staff can help in this regard.

Against a more elite list it wouldn't be so useful, but then again most Daemon weapons aren't as useful in the hands of an AC rather than a lord or lieutenant.

Any thoughts?

"No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

I've often looked at the pandemic staff.. looking for a use. There must be something that I'm missing.. there has to be use for it that I'm not thinking of.

But I honestly think that with the Pandemic staff, this isn't the case and it's just rubbish.

As you say, it is very good against gaunts and mobs of orks, but at that range, you have many many other better options. Rapid firing with fire arms for example. Flamer template weapons.

For what it does, the pandemic staff is incredibly expensive too. A manreaper is much much better. You can get up to 8 attacks with an aspiring champ. Plus, they're all power weapon attacks, so gaunts and marines alike will fall.

One more problem is that it fires during the shooting phase. You mention using farting mutants to alleviate mobility problems.. but farty mutants move as cavalry. If you should fire the staff, you can't fleet and thus you're just that same as another block of infantry.

So, you're effectively paying double for a squad who can only move as normal and have a small chance of doing a bit of damage to some orks and gaunts at 12". And no nid or ork player is going to complain having you at 12".

I think that GW might have though that the manreaper was too good so that Nurgle needed balance.. but instead of balancing the weapon, they gave them a daemonic weapon which was totally useless.

I think you'd have much better luck with plague banners. They can really turn the tide of a CC. For example, if you find yourself coming across a bunch of harlequins or genies. D6 wounds is really going to destroy their combat potential.

Mutants will destroy gaunts any day of the weak (We love marine Toughness ) and against orks.. well, it's a question of packing in more powerfists than them and being damn sure to deny them the charge. Orks are bad in CC, but when they get the charge it's just insanity really.
    Last edited by Karmoon; February 11th, 2007 at 12:10.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    For what it does, the pandemic staff is incredibly expensive too. A manreaper is much much better. You can get up to 8 attacks with an aspiring champ. Plus, they're all power weapon attacks, so gaunts and marines alike will fall.
    I think that's the main core of the issue - for the price, the Manreaper is just so much better. The Manreaper works against MEQs and Hordes alike. The Manreaper works if you're counter charged. The Manreaper is also cheaper, once you take into account the added cost of a power weapon on top of the Pandemic Staff.

So, you're effectively paying double for a squad who can only move as normal and have a small chance of doing a bit of damage to some orks and gaunts at 12". And no nid or ork player is going to complain having you at 12".
    Remember that Cavalry has the extended Charge Range. If the Pandemic Staff can hit something, then you'll also have the ability to charge them. Assuming the Staff doesn't remove the front models, of course. But that's an issue with all shooting attacks before charges, not just the Staff itself.

I think you'd have much better luck with plague banners. They can really turn the tide of a CC. For example, if you find yourself coming across a bunch of harlequins or genies. D6 wounds is really going to destroy their combat potential.
    The only problem I have with the Plague Banner (and all Banners, for that matter) is the fact that you have to have Chosen to take it. And Chosen are already.... 'meh'... and I doubt a single use of a Banner would make up for their other weaknesses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin View Post
    Remember that Cavalry has the extended Charge Range. If the Pandemic Staff can hit something, then you'll also have the ability to charge them. Assuming the Staff doesn't remove the front models, of course. But that's an issue with all shooting attacks before charges, not just the Staff itself.
    Very true. But if you want to just test the range, then a bolt pistol will do the job nicely, and open up a weapon slot for something more superior.. like a powerfist. If you have fleet you should probably use it anyway.. certainly over shooting the pandemic twig.

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    The only problem I have with the Plague Banner (and all Banners, for that matter) is the fact that you have to have Chosen to take it. And Chosen are already.... 'meh'... and I doubt a single use of a Banner would make up for their other weaknesses.
    I know that undivided chosen have special icons/banners.. but where does it say that only chosen can take banners? As it's part of the wargear section, surely it's fair game for asp champs, even if it does full his gift quota completely?
    LO Rules

Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I know that undivided chosen have special icons/banners.. but where does it say that only chosen can take banners? As it's part of the wargear section, surely it's fair game for asp champs, even if it does full his gift quota completely?
    It's more of a 'How it was intended' thing than actual rules. Of course, trying to know what exactly the designers had intended tends to lead to disaster, but I like to think that Special Banners were meant to be reserved for Chosen units only, not handed out amongst the troops willy nilly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

I see. One to pull out when your opponent starts fleeting with their jetbike mounted Autarch.

I'll try and avoid it/limit then.
    LO Rules

+ Reply to Thread