Some Alpha Legion Questions and comments - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Alpha Legion Questions and comments

Hey All,

Just started playing again after a 1.5 year hiatus, and am very eager to finally figure out how I want to play my Alpha Legion. I'll post my army lists in the future in a separate thread (following the conventions), but after reading dozens of AL posts, I had a few questions:

1. Cultists: It seems that most lists out there do NOT include cultists. That was surprising to me because I usually have 3 units of cultists in my games (ranging from 12-20 cultists per unite depending on the point total). Is there a reason why no one uses cultists, and for those who do, they only have one squad?

2. Daemons in AL Lists: Very few people use daemons in the AL lists too... I have 3 units of cultists so they can survive to summon the daemons without all dying, especially if I roll the summoning rolls badly. I normally use 6-8 Daemonettes or 6-8 Bloodletters. Do AL players not use daemons that much for a reason?

3. The "Genestealer Champion": Somehow I completely missed this when reading the rules, but I didn't know you can give a cultist champion Daemonic Gifts???!!! Is there a point limit? People seem to like giving D Talon/Mutation/Strength. This is wonderful news if it's true! :w00t: I normally just give him a power weapon, as the "Hidden powerweapon" champ.

4. Autocannons vs Lascannons/Missile Launchers: The debate rages on, but now I'm learning the power of Autocannons + Tank Hunter... thank you Librarium for the tip!

5. The First Turn Charging Lord: Is this a good idea to charge in like that? Won't the Lord get swarmed by counter assault units and killed easily before earning his points back? I haven't tried it yet, but I definitely want to try the D Speed + infiltrate Lord sometime.

6. Alpha Legion as the most competitive Legion??? I am VERY surprised to see Alpha Legion ranked so high in most people's votes! I guess it makes sense after all the discussion, but until I stumbled back to this forum today (after a 1.5 year break), I never saw much posted about Alpha Legion in the past. I chose to play them based on their fluff and style almost 2 years ago, and now it's great to hear that they are well regarded!

I've never seen a live AL army played yet (I've seen every other Chaos army at least once, including LatD), so hopefully I'll be the one introducing people to AL soon!

Now I need to read more army lists, and I hope to learn more about using AL soon!

Go Alpha Legion!

Vish

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back to the fold of the alpha legion!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Visharron View Post
    1. Cultists: It seems that most lists out there do NOT include cultists. That was surprising to me because I usually have 3 units of cultists in my games (ranging from 12-20 cultists per unite depending on the point total). Is there a reason why no one uses cultists, and for those who do, they only have one squad?
    I acctualy just used cultists this weekend at a Rogue trader tourny. and i loved them for their points they actualy were the the MVP of the game. the reason i get that many people dont use them is that first they seem very week when compared to a power armored marine. and two that they'de have to convert them (which i loved)

2. Daemons in AL Lists: Very few people use daemons in the AL lists too... I have 3 units of cultists so they can survive to summon the daemons without all dying, especially if I roll the summoning rolls badly. I normally use 6-8 Daemonettes or 6-8 Bloodletters. Do AL players not use daemons that much for a reason?
    its because of the cultists. if you dont use them you cant use deamons (you knew that already though) but when the majority of lists dont use cultists then they wouldnt use deamons too. i had a small squad of deamonettes that perforemed very well. i think that if you are going to use cuiltists then you should always have deamons to help provide some backup for them.

3. The "Genestealer Champion": Somehow I completely missed this when reading the rules, but I didn't know you can give a cultist champion Daemonic Gifts???!!! Is there a point limit? People seem to like giving D Talon/Mutation/Strength. This is wonderful news if it's true! :w00t: I normally just give him a power weapon, as the "Hidden powerweapon" champ.
    this debate has acctualy came up acouple times. and i think the final verdect was that they have 10 points total for wargear which would include D gifts. if using army builder i cant even get access to the d gifts for my cuilt champ so i just dont use them.

4. Autocannons vs Lascannons/Missile Launchers: The debate rages on, but now I'm learning the power of Autocannons + Tank Hunter... thank you Librarium for the tip!
    Autocannons.... they stay crunchy even in milk.

5. The First Turn Charging Lord: Is this a good idea to charge in like that? Won't the Lord get swarmed by counter assault units and killed easily before earning his points back? I haven't tried it yet, but I definitely want to try the D Speed + infiltrate Lord sometime.
    it would seem this way at first glance, and some of my opponents figure that is exsactly what will happen to your lord. the thing that happens almost all the time (dice gods permeting) is that every turn your lord will eliminate anyone that could atack him. do that for a turn or two and the unit is almost assured to break. i charged my first turn assault lord into a unit of i think around 25-35 orks. and killed them all end of turn 2.

6. Alpha Legion as the most competitive Legion??? I am VERY surprised to see Alpha Legion ranked so high in most people's votes! I guess it makes sense after all the discussion, but until I stumbled back to this forum today (after a 1.5 year break), I never saw much posted about Alpha Legion in the past. I chose to play them based on their fluff and style almost 2 years ago, and now it's great to hear that they are well regarded!

I've never seen a live AL army played yet (I've seen every other Chaos army at least once, including LatD), so hopefully I'll be the one introducing people to AL soon!
    i think this is mainly due to acouple realy dedicated and briliant forum members here that offer great advice. karmoon, caluin, and theyak were the ones that helped refine my army lists so that they were kick ass.

then again i think it also could be due to people relising that inflitrate for 1 point is just tasty.

Go Alpha Legion!
    heck yeah.
    "Moral Victory! the enemy ran away at the sight of my roting, spikey, diseased, awesomeness... wait.. what?" ~ Theyak

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Hey All,

Just started playing again after a 1.5 year hiatus, and am very eager to finally figure out how I want to play my Alpha Legion. I'll post my army lists in the future in a separate thread (following the conventions), but after reading dozens of AL posts, I had a few questions:
    Hey there, I was in the same position you're in not too long ago. Long hiatus and then I wanted to get back into the game. Happy to answer some questions.
    Cultists are good, no doubt, but I think the reason is that there is an inherent advantage to shooty armies. Cultists by nature are swarm assaulters, but not quite as good as other "swarm" style assaulters. Including them as elements in a force can be quite advantageous and good. It all comes down to personal taste, I personally LIKE cultists, but feel that the good ol' CSM alpha legionaire is just a better buy for the points.

No, its similar to the point above, you NEED cultists to bring daemons, and if someone is not really inclined to USE cultists than no daemons(we don't need em anyways).
    AND to get a reliable summoning base you need 2 to 3 units of cultists, and then some daemon squads, which leaves very little slots for the NECESSARY CSM support to these guys.
    There ARE some guys who play without CSMs but having cultists supported by CSMs are really good. Though it can be argued that the assault support and punch can come from the summoned daemons, viable but not usually seen often.

Yes, it is legal. Period. I don't know why people argue this point over and over.
    Look at the armory. its broken down into sections. one section is weapons. The limitation of the champion is in the WEAPONS section of the armory.

As a character they have the same access to the armory as a non-lord character, same limits and access to daemonic gifts.

Meaning, you can't really buy a powerfist for him, but a power weapon + gifts + non weapon wargear is OK.
    There are people who vehemently disagree with this, but its in black and white. Until GW addresses this specifically, don't listen to them.

OOOH yeah, Tank hunting autocannons = doom for everything in your way. Give them infiltrate and you have the most versatile and awesome power in the game. just remember to infiltrate them away from the enemy

Yes, he will, so you have to back him up with other elements. I use raptors for this at games of 1850 and above. If you use him alone, you set him up on a far flank to take out devestators, tanks(from behind, usually the indirect fire type) or other units that are dangling out away from the main force. HE WILL DIE. but then again, he's pretty cheap so expect it and you won't be dissapointed.

AL is just very popular here, because of members like Caluin, Karmoon, myself and many others who have learned to use them skillfully and once you learn their nuances they are neigh unstopable. Really.

My advice to you is to start out by picking a "combat doctorine" as I regard it.
    Make an all shooty force or a all assaulty force and revolve your plan around that.
    I personally use an all shooty force(check my blog for my army list) it has taken me through a NUMBER of tourneys undefeated. The whole idea is to set up by infiltrating far away from the enemy and just blast them until they stop twitching.
    You'll notice each squad has an AC with Powerfist(this is essential) because you WILL eventually get charged. When this happens, you pile in 2 to 3 squads into it to kill the offenders right away and get back to shooting. OR you can decide that they're close enough to charge them.

Now I need to read more army lists, and I hope to learn more about using AL soon!
    Check out my blog, I haven't updated it in a while now, but I have a lot of notes about how my army played when I was building it up and what worked.

Go Alpha Legion!
    FOR THE EMPEROR!

Vish
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome!

First of all, i want to say that you guys are awesome! Thanks for welcoming me back and with all the tips! Just reading some posts this afternoon has opened another dimension to Alpha Legion that I didn't know about before!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanest View Post
    Welcome back to the fold of the alpha legion!

I acctualy just used cultists this weekend at a Rogue trader tourny. and i loved them for their points they actualy were the the MVP of the game. the reason i get that many people dont use them is that first they seem very week when compared to a power armored marine. and two that they'de have to convert them (which i loved)
    Yeah, I've never played one game with AL without cultists yet... then again, I've only played 10 or so games with AL, haha! But yeah, they're super cheap cannon fodders and if they do get a charge in, they can kill quite a few things with the number of attacks and the hidden power weapon! Plus, I love using daemons...

its because of the cultists. if you dont use them you cant use deamons (you knew that already though) but when the majority of lists dont use cultists then they wouldnt use deamons too. i had a small squad of deamonettes that perforemed very well. i think that if you are going to use cuiltists then you should always have deamons to help provide some backup for them.
    Actually, I should have been more clear. Of the lists that I saw cultists in, no one used daemons. That's what I was pondering about. I think daemonettes are like the greatest things since sliced bread... would be a waste not to use them!

this debate has acctualy came up acouple times. and i think the final verdect was that they have 10 points total for wargear which would include D gifts. if using army builder i cant even get access to the d gifts for my cuilt champ so i just dont use them.
    I guess Theyak disagrees... I'll have to see what I can do with Army Builder... maybe write notes in or something...

i think this is mainly due to acouple realy dedicated and briliant forum members here that offer great advice. karmoon, caluin, and theyak were the ones that helped refine my army lists so that they were kick ass.

then again i think it also could be due to people relising that inflitrate for 1 point is just tasty.
    That's great! It's definitely something that I didn't find when I first joined and picked up the Alpha Legion. Very few lists, and very little help when I posted. It's great to finally find a place where there are good AL players who can help me out!

Quote Originally Posted by theyak View Post
    Hey there, I was in the same position you're in not too long ago. Long hiatus and then I wanted to get back into the game. Happy to answer some questions.
    Yeah, a bunch of regular 40K players all started playing other wargames, so I stopped... now I'm getting back into the thick of things again!

Cultists are good, no doubt, but I think the reason is that there is an inherent advantage to shooty armies. Cultists by nature are swarm assaulters, but not quite as good as other "swarm" style assaulters. Including them as elements in a force can be quite advantageous and good. It all comes down to personal taste, I personally LIKE cultists, but feel that the good ol' CSM alpha legionaire is just a better buy for the points.
    Hrm... that is very interesting... My other army is the Necrons, which I've used quite well over the time I've played. But the one reason I got a 2nd army and chose Chaos was that as much as I like shooty armies, I got SICK of fearing the assault unit hitting my ranks (especially the Tyranids and Khorne/Blood Angels!) I'm currently playing a balanced AL list (which I'm getting the sense that people will say it's the "jack of all trades, master of none" :tongue: ) but a full CC army doesn't really work with AL, and a full shooty will just put me back into the "run away" mentality... I'll have to think about this a bit more.

No, its similar to the point above, you NEED cultists to bring daemons, and if someone is not really inclined to USE cultists than no daemons(we don't need em anyways).
    AND to get a reliable summoning base you need 2 to 3 units of cultists, and then some daemon squads, which leaves very little slots for the NECESSARY CSM support to these guys.
    There ARE some guys who play without CSMs but having cultists supported by CSMs are really good. Though it can be argued that the assault support and punch can come from the summoned daemons, viable but not usually seen often.
    I misspoke... see above reply to Silvanest. I was wondering why people would bring cultists and not bring at least one squad of daemons...

Yes, it is legal. Period. I don't know why people argue this point over and over.
    Look at the armory. its broken down into sections. one section is weapons. The limitation of the champion is in the WEAPONS section of the armory.
    That makes sense... though I print all my army lists with Army Builder and it doesn't let me do that... I guess I'll have to write it by hand if I want to try that tactic.

OOOH yeah, Tank hunting autocannons = doom for everything in your way. Give them infiltrate and you have the most versatile and awesome power in the game. just remember to infiltrate them away from the enemy
    Haha, noted! I wrote a tactica (on another forum) just on how to deploy AWAY from the enemy... haha! :tongue:

Yes, he will, so you have to back him up with other elements. I use raptors for this at games of 1850 and above. If you use him alone, you set him up on a far flank to take out devestators, tanks(from behind, usually the indirect fire type) or other units that are dangling out away from the main force. HE WILL DIE. but then again, he's pretty cheap so expect it and you won't be dissapointed.
    So far I've been playing 1000 pt games... so no raptors yet... AL is a bit slow, so I guess the Lord will be by himself... Actually, use a 121 pt Lieut for 1000 pt games.

AL is just very popular here, because of members like Caluin, Karmoon, myself and many others who have learned to use them skillfully and once you learn their nuances they are neigh unstopable. Really.
    I WANT TO LEARN THEIR NUANCES! :w00t: Oh teach me, great generals of Chaos! :yes:

My advice to you is to start out by picking a "combat doctorine" as I regard it.
    Make an all shooty force or a all assaulty force and revolve your plan around that.
    I guess that's my problem right now, as mentioned before. I like shooty, but I really hate being "chased around" or fearing the assault. I'll take a look at your blog, as it may be that AL will be a great shooty army that can hold it's own against the Khornes, Death Companies, and Wyches... But right now most of my list is geared towards balance (1/2 shooty, 1/2 CC).

I personally use an all shooty force(check my blog for my army list) it has taken me through a NUMBER of tourneys undefeated. The whole idea is to set up by infiltrating far away from the enemy and just blast them until they stop twitching.
    BTW, I see you're from the Bay Area in Cali. Where you at? I used to play at some local tourneys for a year or so (Game Kastle, Scenario, the one in Oakland, and of course, KublaCon 2005)... would love to meet up some day for some tips and pointers and a game.

You'll notice each squad has an AC with Powerfist(this is essential) because you WILL eventually get charged. When this happens, you pile in 2 to 3 squads into it to kill the offenders right away and get back to shooting. OR you can decide that they're close enough to charge them.
    ooo, good idea... I'll really have to study your blogs now!

Thank you so much again for your insights! You guys are great!

Vish

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

First of all, i want to say that you guys are awesome! Thanks for welcoming me back and with all the tips! Just reading some posts this afternoon has opened another dimension to Alpha Legion that I didn't know about before!
    Gooood, GOOOOOOOD.. yes, COME to the dark side.

I guess Theyak disagrees... I'll have to see what I can do with Army Builder... maybe write notes in or something...
    See my feelings on the Army builder program below. bleagh.

That's great! It's definitely something that I didn't find when I first joined and picked up the Alpha Legion. Very few lists, and very little help when I posted. It's great to finally find a place where there are good AL players who can help me out!

Seriously, if you are looking for a good place to get a lot of different angles on Alpha legion, THIS is the place to do it. We have so many Alpha legion generals its sorta dizzying. When I hopped onto the alpha, I did so because I liked their fluff, tactics and not many people played them.. NOW, they have quite a following here.

Yeah, a bunch of regular 40K players all started playing other wargames, so I stopped... now I'm getting back into the thick of things again!

Glad to have you back in the ranks of 40K, and even more in the loving fold of chaos.

Hrm... that is very interesting... My other army is the Necrons, which I've used quite well over the time I've played. But the one reason I got a 2nd army and chose Chaos was that as much as I like shooty armies, I got SICK of fearing the assault unit hitting my ranks (especially the Tyranids and Khorne/Blood Angels!) I'm currently playing a balanced AL list (which I'm getting the sense that people will say it's the "jack of all trades, master of none" :tongue: ) but a full CC army doesn't really work with AL, and a full shooty will just put me back into the "run away" mentality... I'll have to think about this a bit more.
    My Alpha is designed for pure balance. they can do it ALL, I can sit back and shoot I can all assault. Alpha excels at "jack of all trades" tactics. Infiltrate is just that powerful.

The problem with necrons is that they don't have any real "bite" to their assault(except for pariahs and wraiths) you don't get a Sarge/AC so you end up really loathing the assault. Shooty CSM, when built right, not only doesn't fear the CC, it welcomes them(generally because they probably whittled down the enemy all the way to them)

I misspoke... see above reply to Silvanest. I was wondering why people would bring cultists and not bring at least one squad of daemons...
    gortcha

That makes sense... though I print all my army lists with Army Builder and it doesn't let me do that... I guess I'll have to write it by hand if I want to try that tactic.
    I hate army builder. I use good ol' MS Excel and a pen/paper to make my armies. The problem with programs like that is that they are rarely accurate and with the changing of rules, they end up being very poor for army legality.

Haha, noted! I wrote a tactica (on another forum) just on how to deploy AWAY from the enemy... haha! :tongue:
    Yes, then you should do very well with the alpha.

So far I've been playing 1000 pt games... so no raptors yet... AL is a bit slow, so I guess the Lord will be by himself... Actually, use a 121 pt Lieut for 1000 pt games.
    Raptors are very expensive, and should be held off of until 1850 anyhow.

121, that's just about the pts I use.

I WANT TO LEARN THEIR NUANCES! :w00t: Oh teach me, great generals of Chaos! :yes:

I guess that's my problem right now, as mentioned before. I like shooty, but I really hate being "chased around" or fearing the assault. I'll take a look at your blog, as it may be that AL will be a great shooty army that can hold it's own against the Khornes, Death Companies, and Wyches... But right now most of my list is geared towards balance (1/2 shooty, 1/2 CC).

My alpha legion fears NO CC army, none, nope zippo, from statured khorne supermen to tyranids. The key is that my alpha is geared more towards shooting, but if I choose to assault they are very good at that too(with the powerfists and all)

Necrons are a different thing(I play them as well... see above) since you can't take anything resembling a sergant to give your guys some "bite back" you tend to avoid the CC like the plague, unless you're crazy like me, which I just keep my Lord out of it with the resorb, and allow my armor saves and WBBs to grind down the oponent instead.

BTW, I see you're from the Bay Area in Cali. Where you at? I used to play at some local tourneys for a year or so (Game Kastle, Scenario, the one in Oakland, and of course, KublaCon 2005)... would love to meet up some day for some tips and pointers and a game.

Hey there, so I'm in the east bay. Pleasanton, Dublin area.
    I usually do my gamin at the Games Workshop store at Stoneridge Mall.
    I went to kublacon last year(2006) and had a blast at the RTT. I went undefeated, but ended up ranking pretty low due to painting.
    ooo, good idea... I'll really have to study your blogs now!

Thank you so much again for your insights! You guys are great!

Vish
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, if you are looking for a good place to get a lot of different angles on Alpha legion, THIS is the place to do it. We have so many Alpha legion generals its sorta dizzying. When I hopped onto the alpha, I did so because I liked their fluff, tactics and not many people played them.. NOW, they have quite a following here.
    Yeah, seems like times have changed. I'm glad I decided to check in again. I was pretty disappointed in the past.

Glad to have you back in the ranks of 40K, and even more in the loving fold of chaos.
    It's good to be back too, and Chaos is awesome!

My Alpha is designed for pure balance. they can do it ALL, I can sit back and shoot I can all assault. Alpha excels at "jack of all trades" tactics. Infiltrate is just that powerful.
    You don't know how glad I am to hear that! That's the style I like, and after reading your post, I understand why it's different from Necrons now... I guess when you have a Chaos Lord/Lieut who can deal out massive CC damage when the opponent dares to charge your shooting units, you're probably in good shape =P

I hate army builder. I use good ol' MS Excel and a pen/paper to make my armies. The problem with programs like that is that they are rarely accurate and with the changing of rules, they end up being very poor for army legality.
    Everything you say is true about Army Builder (a friend had two 0-1 HQs once because AB let him do it...), but I'm lazy, and AB allows me to quickly make armies and see if the points add up. I know I can write an Excel program to do that, but again, I'm lazy... I usually print out my list and then hand check it to be sure.

Hey there, so I'm in the east bay. Pleasanton, Dublin area.
    I usually do my gamin at the Games Workshop store at Stoneridge Mall.
    I went to kublacon last year(2006) and had a blast at the RTT. I went undefeated, but ended up ranking pretty low due to painting.
    Ahh, so I'm in the South, a bit far I guess. SO you were the one Alpha Legion I saw on the RTT result sheet last year! I was looking at the results, going, "Ok, same old people at the top, played Mat, Ananda, Quentin and the bunch before... WOH, ALPHA LEGION?!" :w00t: And a great record at that!

Anyway, I did pretty well in 2005, 3rd overall with battle scores, but dropped to 6th with painting... undefeated, and could have been 6 wins if not for two very minor mistakes that I made due to running out of time (my first big tourney experience, so I was flustered). I am very happy with that result so far... we'll see if I can get my AL painted by the 2007 RTT... I have 3 months... hrm...

Ok, I'm ready to post a 1000 pt list, hope to get some comments!

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

How the hell did I miss this thread?

Meh.. really not much to add to what The Yak and Silvanest have advised really.

I personally really like plasma havocs, although i'm not as competitive or technically accomplished player as The Yak. You'll melt yourself, but comboed with infiltrate and tankhunters and you have an extremely unpleasant unit wondering around the board up to no good. Any target is a potential victim. Terminators, carnifexes, vehicles.. indiscriminate pain for the enemy really.

They're a bit of a one hit wonder sometimes.. either because they melt themselves, or they cause enough destruction to make the enemy really really angry and throw everything they can against it.

A power weapon champ goes a long way on the squad too

As to how well they'll perform in a tournament situation.. well, that depends on you. I'll concede that you shouldn't openly be giving your opponent VPs.. but at the same times, their sheer destructive power is.. tempting to say the least.

The other thign I'd recommend is The Yak's patented 8 man squad.

8 man with fisty champ. Plasma gun and H.bolter.
    I use a mix of bolters and CC weapon/bolt pistol for the rest.
    MoCU. Infiltrate

And there you have a ubiquitous squad who can respond to almost all situations.

These guys tend to be the back bone of my (successfull) armies, although I have also tried one of Caluin's favourite squad:

10 x CSM
    Fisty Champ
    Melta gun x 2
    MoCU, Infiltrate

to equal devastation.

Mind you.. if you're winning tournaments then i'm sure you know how to build squads.

But other people might be reading this hmm?

Good luck and FOR THE EMPEROR!
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    These guys tend to be the back bone of my (successfull) armies, although I have also tried one of Caluin's favourite squad:

10 x CSM
    Fisty Champ
    Melta gun x 2
    MoCU, Infiltrate
    Should be noted that at the 1850 points level, these two squads of mine get Furious Charge added to them. Then, depending upon the enemy, they'll either engage the enemy as normal, or will use the Plasma squads as speed bumps and counter charge to great effect. I also like to swap out the Powerfists for a L-Claw + Mutation at this point, to make better use of the F-Charge. That can get pricey for some people, though.

I've also been toying with the idea of using Cultists in place of the Plasma squads. for the price of the standard six man Plasma squad, you can get 16 Cultists with a Champ w/ Power Weapon and Strength. That's yummy, right there.

Of course, that'd irrevocably destroy my fluff, which sucks.

Welcome back, Vish. Haven't seen you about in awhile, glad to see you return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Good luck and FOR THE EMPEROR!
    For the Emperor Karmoon? Really? Don't see any Emperor fans around these parts.

I've never actually face a Alpha Legion but I can imagine they have a small advantage with the Cultist, a small but mobile unit is something every army should have. It make perfect tactical sense. I'd just use IG for Cultist, easy and they have all the available weapon set ups. As for Autocannons, Caluin has prove that point time and time again. However I've found that Missiles Launchers work well against IG, Tau, and Nids with the two firing modes, where Lascannons are good against MEQ armies, especially Necrons. I usually take a Lascannon in regular squads and Autocannons in the Havocs (great fire concentration), tactically makes the opponent decide what he needs to deal with and split up fire if they don't know what their doing. Remember always Tank Hunters. A powerfist in each unit with the Lascannon is nice as well, make each unit able to stand alone (Mutation is great t0o, cause on the charge you average 2 kills with those 5 attacks, probability wise)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ...got Rending? View Post
    For the Emperor Karmoon? Really? Don't see any Emperor fans around these parts.
    -
    and thus gotrending proves he's not a true Alpha Legionnairre!

Everyone knows that it's meant to mock loyalists. heck, sometimes they even dress as loyalists to annoy and confuse them.

(I'm so sad)

LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast