warming up to thousand sons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

warming up to thousand sons

im just getting into thousand sons and would like input on if this is a good lord or not. shamefully there wasnt enough room in the demon wargear to put in the 2+ save, but i thought the other things were more crucial, and i think four 5+ inv wounds should get him into combat even just with power armor?
    might add an icon if i decide to use him for summoning screamers or such.

Chaos Lord with mark of tzeentch.
    disk of tzeentch, daemon venom, daemon aura, daemon essence, daemon rune
    frags, meltabombs, spiky bits, mastercraft weapon (claws)
    dual lightning claws, wind of chaos
    251 points

so how does this look for a basic kill expensive units lord? as im new it looks good on paper but i dont know tactically how it would fare. is bionics a waste?
    and can you mastercraft both lightning claws?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

you can't combine d. venom with other weapons, so lose the lightning claws or the venom.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

First I'd like to congratulate you to your choice, Thoudsand sons can be a fantastically rewarding army.
    They do , however, behave a bit different to the other chaos armies and the tooled up Daemon Prince is not quite as "the best" as in other armies. I prefer two shooty Lts or something a bit more modest. But for your Lord, let's see.

Chaos Lord with mark of tzeentch.
    disk of tzeentch,
    daemon venom,
    daemon aura,
    daemon essence,
    daemon rune
    frags,
    meltabombs,
    spiky bits,
    mastercraft weapon (claws)
    dual lightning claws,
    wind of chaos
    251 points
    That is quite a hefty chunk of points you got invested here. This equals to a good, solid Rubric squad with a mountain of wounds and some serious shooting power. Your lord unfortunately lacks them both.
    Sure, the Rune will help him, as will the essence and aura, but still. All it takes is some small arms fire and of he goes.
    You could make him way cheaper and still use the obvious advantages you are aiming for (flying cc-monster)
    Try this
    Lt
    Disc
    Aura
    Lightning claws
    Wind of Chaos
    some 155 points (no codex, so please coublecheck)

This would leave you points enough to get
    Lt
    DoomBolt
    4 Thralls

Now you'll have two HQs, for the same ammount. Maybe not quite as "awsome" as your first one but they'll sure make some dents in your opponents lines.

so how does this look for a basic kill expensive units lord?
    The "kill expensive units lord" is quite a flawed cliché. I prefer a "shoot the expensive unit squad" and use my HQ for the less dangerous "kill many of the not so expensive unit" HQ.

as im new it looks good on paper but i dont know tactically how it would fare.
    It would be ripped into little pieces and be far far from the rest of your army on a one man (and some screamer) crusade. You have to keep your units in support of one and other, especially when it comes to the Sons.

is bionics a waste?
    Yes and no. Since it's such a cheap upgrade and it might save one wound for you... still it's when you enter the road of "hey this upgrade looks rather good, I better have just this one too..." that you are taking the edge of your chances. Soon you'll have an army consisting of units tooled up beyond any use. Bionics could be seen as the first step.
    and can you mastercraft both lightning claws?
    Sure, but you still only get one reroll. For two rerolls it's master craft and spikybits. They come at the same price as one Rubric or Flamer though... is it really wort it? Five such "sets" becomes a squad, if you still thinks it's the way to go, then you may soon have one of the smallest armies in the gaminghistory
    Just kidding of course.
    or...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

thanks for the feedback, and yes you are right about the venom dreachon, how dissapointing.

@andu
    yes i see now that that is alot of points to spend on one guy, i realized that i could actually use a statured lord and get a better effect for more than 50 points cheaper, as long as i didnt run into much str10 stuff. rune is just too darn expensive when you have stature for less than half that.
    i am at heart a shooty army guy, its why i picked sons, last army was necrons.
    i guess i just got cc happy when i saw the options, but i do however like the idea of an Lt on a disc. yes he may be instakilled but i think if i kept him near other squads and then zoomed him out kind of as a charge denier, that would work well?
    what do you think of strapping the wind of chaos onto him?
    it seemed like a fun thing to do and a flying model would be able to use it best before charging. that, and it would be a shame to waste that sorceror gift.

on powers, it seemed to me that BoC, WoC, and GoC were all very good powers,
    are any of the others worth it? like minor ones or twisting path.

you said that you would save the points and spend it on tooling up shooty characters,
    did you mean the asp champ? i do plan on giving the champs max thralls and bolt of change, but theres also room left to give them some mean cc power, worth it?

edit: i notice you didnt include strength in your ideal Lt, is it not worth it?
    Last edited by lastspartacus; March 14th, 2007 at 11:37.

+ Reply to Thread