Kai Flyer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kai Flyer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kai Flyer

In an effort to use up some old bits, I put together a Kai Gun Lieutenant. I've used him in three games now and I'm very unimpressed. For the 90 points he costs he sure gets killed often and rarely makes back his points. I think I may be using him wrong, but I love my model so much that I'd like to learn some new tactics. I usually have him sitting back in my deployment zone, and then moving out and shooting at a marine squad while trying to stay out of opponents line of sight. This is nearly impossible though in a 1500+ game and what often happens is that I'm either gunned down by lots of bolters, shot at by a lascannon space marine team, or squashed by a land speeder. The guy just doesn't survive very long.

The other option I am thinking of is eliminating the Kai Flier and putting in a small Dark Blade lieutenant. I play Iron Warriors and right now my main CC punch comes from a statured lord with speed. I think I could cover a rather large amount of the board with two speedy lords of CC death to scare off potential assaults.

Thoughts? Comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Why is your Independant Character getting shot at? So long as he's out of a unit, and not the closest target to the enemy unit, he should never be shot at.

I can sort of relate to Land Speeders, and not much you can do other than surround him with friendly units and present more tempting targets to them, but Lascannon Marines? How are they getting close enough to spot your IC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well

Because the unit protecting him got shredded in short time.

Also, I do get outmanouvered quite a bit even with a Kai Flyer by bikes and speeders trying to get behind my lines and take pot shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by EcchuBlessu View Post
    Because the unit protecting him got shredded in short time.

Also, I do get outmanouvered quite a bit even with a Kai Flyer by bikes and speeders trying to get behind my lines and take pot shots.
    It's a difficult one with the Kai flier.

He's definitely no army breaker, like a Dark Blade Lord or Statured Lord can be. He is overall a harrasment unit who's pretty usefull against everything.

But, as Caluin said, he does really on his IC status to make him so annoying. I.E he's not a unit on his own and needs to work with the rest of the army to make himself effective.

If the rest of your squads are getting shredded.. then maybe in your case it IS a good idea to spend the resources elsewhere and make a different type of Lord.

Twin speedy HQs can be really devastating, although to be honest.. in a 1500 game I normally wouldn't consider spending that many resources on HQs.

What is it that seems to be shredding your squads? I'm curious.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opion, as an Iron Warrior player you shouldn't have speedy HQs which are intended to charge straight at the enemy into melee. I play the Thousand Sons, which are fairly similiar to the Iron Warriors. I tried Biker HQ's, flying daemon princes and even lords on discs of Tzeentch, none of which worked well. I would give one HQ the Kai gun and maybe have the other in terminator armour with termine chosen deepstriking behind enemy lines. The kai gun itsself may not be a great choice. Most Iron Warrior armies i have seen have atleast a 48" range. Since the Kai Gun only has 24" and is AP3, most players will want to kill it fairly quickly.

Somthing to consider is to have a fast melee HQ. Hold this HQ back until the enemy is about to melee you and swoop him in. With I 5 he should strike first and if equiped well, devestate most if not all of a unit.
    "Drop emergency bulkheads! Activate compression rams! Set internal bracing! Issue brace for impact alert! I repeat, brace for impact!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol

Jackal that is exactly what I do with my current speedy statured lord. He just hangs back behind a forest until the enemy gets in range, and then smashes into them. In open territory this gives me a minimum effective range of 17" including assault, so I figure if I have a second speed lord that I could pretty much cover the entire 48" on my side of the 4x4 board. Although two HQs is kind of expensive, I mainly do it just because my Kai Flier is such a cool model.

I'm actually trying to tone down my list a bit even though I don't think it is all that bad. I somehow manage to defeat my usual opponents easily and that isn't fun for either person. I actually think that I can beat my normal opponents just because I play them so often and no what to expect... not to say my list isn't potent but I've definitely fielded worse.

In my 1550 list I have:

1 HQ with Stature and Speed
    1 HQ with Kai Gun and Flight
    3 Obliterators acting individually
    1 8 man squad with AC + PFist + Mut and 1 melta
    2 8 man squad with AC + PFist + Mut and 2 plasma guns
    1 8 man squad with 4 TH AC
    1 Defiler
    1 Lascannon Predator

I occasionally will switch out my Kai Flier and an 8 man squad of SM and put in a 7 man squad of raptors because they are my favorite unit. Right now I guess i'm just trying to come up with some new ideas to switch things up a bit. I'm not too attached to iron warriors but I don't have the models to do anything else fantastic. I also really suck with Daemon summoning.

It looks like the Kai Flier is going to make a few more appearances before hitting the shelf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Hmm... I'm not 100% convinced that Iron warriors play similar to 1000 sons at all.
    The philosophy behind the sides is different.. but if you're not into all that mumbojumbo, then the amount of las cannons, ordnance weapons and autocannons is different

Thousand sons have to make some kind of slow advance in order to bring their aspiring champions and sorcery to fruition. Iron Warriors can literally afford to sit at the back and blow the enemy up to kingdom come.

For this reason, speedy counter assault HQs are a tried and tested sure fire thing for Iron Warriors. They get where you need them to be, and make a mess for the enemy giving you those vital turns needed to blow away their kidneys.

Hmm.. having thought about it.. despite having a big gun.. a kai flyer probably isn't very good for iron warriors. The kai flyer much more more suits mobile and dynamic armies who are pressing against the enemy and being offensive - for example, Alpha Legion, Night Lords etc.

Thinking about it further, I imagine a kaiflyer to be really effective with a Khornate army, or at least an army with some bezerkers in it.

Note, Kaiflyers are pretty crap against Nids and Orks. You're either shooting endless walls of cheap troops (gaunts, boyz), or stuff you're struggling to damage (vehicles, carnifexes).

Ecchu, have you considered a flyer with an ether lance/Wind of Chaos?
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

+ Reply to Thread