The Defiler: Yay or Nay? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Defiler: Yay or Nay?

Greetings all,

I have a fairly small army of Chaos and I am thinking of expanding my warband. The Chaos Defiler (as awesome as it looks) does have both its pros and its cons. I'm curious to find out how many Chaos players use Defilers (or don't use them) in their army and what their pros and cons are.

All comments appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

defiler

I use the defiler in my Iron Warriors army mainly because it came in the mega force box set. It isn't the best unit for its point cost but its fun to use and I'd feel like an idiot for spending the money and not using a $55 model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got me 2 defilers in my army, one is very basic, only upgrade is indirect fire. This thing sits next to my havocs, and helps bombard the snot out the enemy, and forces the enemy to choose between a Defiler with big guns, or Havocs with big guns, as a target.

Then, I got my kajillion (can't remember how many it is anymore) point defiler, tricked out for getting up to the enemy, and tearing them to pieces. If it can take an upgrade, it has it on it.

I love defilers, and if I didn't need my havoc squad (if I weren't a Slaanesh army, and could take Obliterators) I would defiantly take a third defiler.
    I play my 40k with friendly fire.
    Finally fixed the link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

As far as I've ascertained Defilers are something in the Chaos codex which need to be used with considerable thought.

The presence of a battle cannon indirect firing should never ever be belittled. But, if you're careless with it, it can die without firing a shot off, and it's not cheap.

Chaos can often be a slow moving army. So powerfull indirect fire really sets off Chaos for some interesting tactical opportunitiess.

it can be construed as power gaming, but dual defilers is really good and potentially demoralising for any army.. apart from maybe armoured company.

They take a bit of skill and practise to use though.

So good luck
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Model wise they look absolutely brilliant, they're always going to draw alot of fire though. I havent got one yet for my Iron Warriors but I will get one as they look so cool. I think indirect is a good idea, just pound the enemy into submission!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

My guess is that you will find at least one Defiler extremely useful. Preventing your opponent from having a safe point on the table is critical both tactically and psychologically. Even if your opponent brings his own Basilisk-equivalent, the amount of firepower he'll divert to destroy it turn one will be worth the point cost of losing it without a shot.

I would use one myself--I need it--except it is unbearably ugly in my opinion, and I can't figure out a way to proxy it.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

+ Reply to Thread