Tzeentch Units - Thousand Sons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Tzeentch Units - Thousand Sons

This is going to sound a little bit strange, so bear with me. I wanted to start up a discussion thread for all the Thousand Sons players out there. I wanted to talk about the usefulness of some specific units we can take. And different configurations for them. I am aware we have a good tactica by Lordofchange, but I wanted some other opinions as well. The reason mostly being that I am considering switching armies and wanted to explore the Sons some more before I make any lasting decisions. The things I wanted to get some opinions on are these....

HQ:

~Greater Daemon - when and how to use it, should we even use it? Is it worth losing that ever valuable Champion?

~LT with BOC - Classic TS choice, should you always footslog it? Or is it better to have a combat Lord? Is a disc a viable option? How should I use it?

~Daemon Prince/Combat Lord - Are they worth it? Since we loose veteran skills and things like that, should we bother? or are they viable options?

Elites:

~Rubric Termies - Are they worth it? Should they be deep struck always? What powers are best?

~Chosen/Possessed - Can they be worth the points? Termies or power armor? Has any had an in-depth experience with these guys? What seems to work best?

Troops:

~Rubrics - What Champion configurations do you like? Do you combine powers often?

~Flamers - Take them always, or only vs. Non-MEQs? Use them for every list? Or only in larger point games.

Fast Attack:

~Screamers - Always worth it? When to bring them?

Heavy Support:

~Defilers - great right?

~Dreadnoughts - Are they worth it? Or is the Pred a better deal?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Last edited by hotspike18; April 9th, 2007 at 14:19.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Knight of Goodlyness paladin777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hotspike18 View Post
    This is going to sound a little bit strange, so bear with me. I wanted to start up a discussion thread for all the Thousand Sons players out there. I wanted to talk about the usefulness of some specific units we can take. And different configurations for them. I am aware we have a good tactica by Lordofchange, but I wanted some other opinions as well. The reason mostly being that I am considering switching armies and wanted to explore the Sons some more before I make any lasting decisions. The things I wanted to get some opinions on are these....
    Cool, like the idea for the thread, I'll give it a go.

HQ:

~Greater Daemon - when and how to use it, should we even use it? Is it worth losing that ever valuable Champion?
    I like to use this guy as a surprise in an army that has precious little by way of surprises:ninja: . As far as the champ goes, my favourite way to counteract that is to stick a cheap lt in the squad and fit him similar to the other AC's, he acts as a powerful aspiring champion.

~LT with BOC - Classic TS choice, should you always footslog it? Or is it better to have a combat Lord? Is a disc a viable option? How should I use it?
    see above, that the only way this guy sees my games (unless I happen to use my eldar against thousand sons and my opponent fields one, but that's besides the point)

~Daemon Prince/Combat Lord - Are they worth it? Since we loose veteran skills and things like that, should we bother? or are they viable options?
    I never seem to use a statured prince anymore, but I love this config on a LT-MoT, pweapon, BP or CCW depending on the model, Disc of tzeentch, aura, and wind of chaos. He is the ultimate in Tzeentchian mop up (in my experiance). The idea is to have him hang back with your rubrics using his IC status to stay safe, and if someone decides to charge, he can give a potentially needed close combat punch, or he can charge with rubrics wind of chaos a-blowin'. Another good one is the hold his own beast with the dark blade and disc, this one needs no explanation.

Elites:

~Rubric Termies - Are they worth it? Should they be deep struck always? What powers are best?
    most definitely, deep strike all the way, they are too slow otherwise and they can't take a rhino. I find that BoC is extremely powerful, and since they are slow and can't take

~Chosen/Possessed - Can they be worth the points? Termies or power armor? Has any had an in-depth experience with these guys? What seems to work best?
    no not really, they are just really expensive and kinda pointless in 1ksons lists. I've use both and (chosen termies only, that's besides the point) they are just a huge point sink. only champs can get the bolt of change otherwise I might consider a squad of 5 possessed with flight, but that doesn't work, so :cry:

Troops:

~Rubrics - What Champion configurations do you like? Do you combine powers often?
    My favourite champion configs are-
    Pfist (a must, NO EXCEPTIONS), mutation, BoC, familiar, WoC, 1x thrall for champs in rhinos. WoC for drive by double tapping goodness
    Pfist, mutation, BoC, familiar, GoC, 4x thralls for champs foot-sloggin it. the point of GoC for this guy is that they are too slow to expect a charge, so this can be used while in CC.

~Flamers - Take them always, or only vs. Non-MEQs? Use them for every list? Or only in larger point games.
    excellent unit, if a bit of a one trick pony. plop them down next to an opponents large unit and cover the table with dice. but never use them for rank and file troops, they are too fragile and pricey to be used as such. PS, your best friend if you can get them to shoot at genestealers

Fast Attack:

~Screamers - Always worth it? When to bring them?
    if you ask me...never.

Heavy Support:

~Defilers - great right?
    don't know, never used one (don't have money to buy one either

what do you want it to do. I will almost never take a lascannon dread, vastly preferring the plasma cannon, extremely useful for taking out heavy armor that your rubrics will have a hard time dealing with in a timely manner, like terminators and wraithguard. Against a swarm army, don't forget to use the CWF, as it is worth it's weight in gold with AP 4. if you want tankbusting, go with the pred, fit it with an autocannon, 2 lascannons, and demonic possession and you have a mercifully cheap peice of armor in an army that has almost everything ultra pricey.

Anyway, thanks for the help.[/quote]
    your welcome, hope I gave some insight into the twisted mind games of tzeentch to tantalize, but not enough to give away all his secrets MUAHAHAHAHA:w00t: . Good luck
    Originally Posted by Reinnon
    to be a thousand son general isn't a choice in gaming, its a state of mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Great Idea Hotspike,

I think we could do with a thousand son tacita refresh.

Someone should PM Andusciassus and Process

This is going to sound a little bit strange
    Heavy Support:

Predator get more bang for your buck (without a doubt). Better long range firepower.

In city fights, however, Dreads are brilliant.

They also add a massive close combat edge to Tzeentch.

Er.. i'm no thousand sons expert though. so i'll just sit and learn from now. *steals paper and writes notes*
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

good tactica by lordofchange? ive never found it. linky?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

The tactica is in the sticky thread at the top of the Chaos Forum, but the link is invalid - it hasn't been filled in yet or something. That or it was lost in the transfer of servers.

The PMs soun like a good idea, also see if I can find destp and didn't KOS-MOS play the Sons for a time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

The Lord of Change is good because of it's initiative and weapon skill value. Also he fly and has a decent balistic skill, so he can make good use of the bolt of change, which he get for free. So i'd say that he is worth taking. In fact, this is the next model I buy for my TS army.

Depending on the size of the game, I will field a lieutenant in Terminator Armour, tooled with bolt of change and a chainfist and use him as tank hunter. Otherwise, I would field a lord hidden in a squad of regular TS. My lord is always tooled to fight up close and personnal

The lord is excellent, the daemon prince is a war machine. In fact, you get a daemon sorcerer prince at no extra cost. Give him some speed and he will be perfect.

And what about veteran skills. Daemon princes are excellent without them.

No matter the size of the game, I always field 5 of those and they always made their points back, every games. Deep strike them behind an ennemy tank and blast it away with the bolt of change and you combi-bolters (rear armour of most tanks is 10). Then use it as cover until you can move and choose another target. AC must be tooled with a chain fist.

Fielding 4 squads :

half of my AC are Power Weapon, D. Stength, D. Mutation, Spiky Bits, the other half is equipped with Power Fist, D. Mutation, Spiky Bits. As for the powers, I nearly go randomly :
    One of my AC is equipped with the twisting path power in order to pin other units and to gain some points (usualy 100 extra points per game), One of the squads in rhino gets wind of chaos. There is always one with a minor tzeentch power and the talissement of tzeentch. The bolts of change are on my HQ and terminators.

~Defilers - great right?
    Yep !

Always use predator, especialy in a TS army where you cuely need their lascannons.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

283 (x6)

What about the Disc Lord? How do you keep him from biting it? Cover hopping perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

What about the Disc Lord? How do you keep him from biting it? Cover hopping perhaps?
    I don't know, i've never used. It could be a good idea. But it's main use in a thousand sons army would be to be able to reach any unit that is in trouble to support it. For example, if one of your TS unit is stuck in close combat with a dread or a walker, then the lord could reach the fight quite hastily and help bringing down the threat. I don't use my lord agressively with TS, he's more of a support unit.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

283 (x6)

Sounds like it could work. Anyone ever tried using a support Lt (BoC, 4x Thralls) with maybe a beefy combat oriented Lord? It would probably only be feasible in larger games, but sounds like a fun list to play actually. Maybe I'll make a few lists to get people's comments on them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

HQ:

~Daemon Prince/Combat Lord - Are they worth it? Since we loose veteran skills and things like that, should we bother? or are they viable options?.

GD - never used it as I hate sacrificing an expensive AC to get it on the table.

LT- I use the BoC with 2 thralls, powerweapon and maybe Warp Focus

Combat Lord - Disc mounted with powerweapon, daemonic strength, personal Icon and BoC this guy has been brilliant for me, a rapid moving tank hunter/squadkiller/daemonsummoner. Always take one.

Elites:

~Chosen/Possessed - Can they be worth the points? Termies or power armor? Has any had an in-depth experience with these guys? What seems to work best?.
    Never bothered with either, I focused on troops more than anything.

Troops:

~Flamers - Take them always, or only vs. Non-MEQs? Use them for every list? Or only in larger point games. .

Always took at least 3 squads of rubrics. Fisted champ, BoC and 4 thralls.

I love the tzeentch daemons. I took 2 squads of 9 horrors with 2 upgraded to flamers. These squads gave me troop killing power so my rubrics and characters could concentrate on vehicles. I know most people hate them but I have yet to be disappointed by them, the 14 str 4 shots and the 6 str 5 shots that the squads can put out can make a rather large dent in an enemy force.

Fast Attack:

~Screamers - Always worth it? When to bring them?.
    Never used them. I think the hit and run rule kills them, they can't even tie up a unit for a turn.

Heavy Support:

~Defilers - great right?

Anyway, thanks for the help.
    Don't use heavy support, my 1500 pt standard list has 3 X 9 TS squads, 2 X 9 Daemons, a Lt and a Lord. Slow and ponderous but seems to get the job done.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast