Nurgle or Slannesh? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nurgle or Slaanesh?

I am interested in doing a chaos marine army after I finish up my 1750 of Daemonhunters, mainly for the opportunity to convert some wicked models. I would like to know how the armies play. What is the play style of each (Slaneesh and Nurgle) and what are the strengths and weaknesses of each? Thanks

Last edited by stark1261; April 9th, 2007 at 23:17.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, hi there .

What exactly were you going to play? Pure Death Guard/Emperor's Children or Black Legion Death Guard/Emperor's Children?
    Ed Gein+Screech= Emperors' children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most Likely Pure, unless someone has a real compelling reason not too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

They are both very similar. Nurgle is better for being close and able to shoot as Slanesh is better for being farther away and able to shoot. Just due to some of there rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Slaneesh CSM have access to the awesome sonic weapons. They are really quite nasty. Nurgle Marines can end up playing alot like DH(true grit, and high toughness means they are alright up close like GK), so if you want something different I might shy from them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by stark1261 View Post
    I am interested in doing a chaos marine army after I finish up my 1750 of Daemonhunters, mainly for the opportunity to convert some wicked models. I would like to know how the armies play. What is the play style of each (Slaneesh and Nurgle) and what are the strengths and weaknesses of each? Thanks
    Nurgle is typically infiltrated up close, and they are strong at mid range combat and close combat, although don't really excell.

Plague marines are IMO the most reliable troop choice. They're tough and kick ass, but they have to be used correctly and with care.

Slaaneshi armies can vary wildly. Most noobs tend to go crazy with the sonic weaponry and forget that Slaanesh can take pretty much everything that an undivided army can take - autocannons, plasmas, meltas, missile launchers etc etc.

Sonic weaponry is great - but gets expensive fast for very little turn around. Sonic blasters are very average on CSM, good on bikes and terminators though.
    Blast masters are best in their own squad of havocs, although can be usefull to a squad because of the dual fire mode.

Slaanesh is also, however, very good at CC because of their warp scream ability. However this is off set by their infernal chosen number. Which is too small for an assault squad or hideously expensive if you take a multiple of 6.

My problem with Slaanesh is that you're paying for essentially a CC upgrade for your marines.. but their other abilites are all ranged based. As a result, i always feel like maybe i'm wasting points no matter what i do.

None the less, Slaanesh have powerfull options as they can take fast attack, have excellent Daemon choice at all levels - greater, lesser and beast.

The jury is out. But it's genereally acknowledged that Death Guard are easier to play.

Personally, I play Slurgle - a cunning mix of both, and while they're no way as competitive as my Alpha Legion, they are tremendously enjoyable to use.

I would personally recommend a smallish black legion combination initially. You can take it from me that Chaos lists aren't good at small points levels (under 1000). you can still win, but there's no room to flex your creative potential. And cult marines are expensive for what we get.

Anyway, welcome to the fold of Chaos and good luck.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slaneesh

i play a pure EC army right now. I see the same thing, you pay for a CC upgrade in the mark, but then most of their upgrades are almost all shooty. Also, again dont expect anything spactacular at small points games, at a woppin 19 per marine / w/out any sort of vet skill the number of marines are just too small. However youl run into that with other dedications as well. Sonic weaonry is IMO is only good on two things, Havoc, and Termi squads. Havocs w/ blastmasters and tank hunter are nice, i use them as cheap lascannons against tanks, and they still do wonders against that pesky guard squad who is all huddled close in that building. The assault/heavy characteristics on the sonic weapons are wonderfull. But i'm getting long here so i'll just list a few things that ya might wanna invest in.
    1. Doom sirens - just freaking awsome
    2. Blastmaster havoc squad - good power and fluffy
    3. Rhinos - might be a DUH but my pair has always served me well
    4. Terminators - gotta love em, high 1500 and above i'd suggest

looking around the ship cuz those damn nurglings stole my bolter again
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like Karmoon, I also play Slurgle and I think it's one of the funnest armies to play cuz theres so much you can do.

Also it allows you to use Oblits:yes:

Although it gets rather expensive quickly as your gettin cult troops and you dont get the free champion as your playing undivided.

PAZ
    Clarity through Corruption

"Victims...aren't we all?"

"Revenge is a meal best served cold."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many advantages to playing undivided or... Slurgle I suppose. Keep options open allows you to be flexible. I never really field the same list two games in-a-row. Mixing of the marks is expensive but allows you to field both strong points. I once thought about a Tzeenesh (I know it sounds horrible) army but the point piled on when I tried to make a list, looking more unattractive because of the small size. However it still looked fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Hmm.. I'm an EC player, so I can only really talk about Slannesh.

The way Slannesh plays varies massively between armies. The following are my observations about what is most effective, not what is abseloutely neccesary to win. At the end of the day, you're paying for the models so do whatever you want. This is just what my experience has told me.

* Slannesh armies should be primarily CC based. A lot of people see the sonic blasters and think 'cool, I can have a whole army of amazing ranged units.' I think I can speak on behalf of most EC players in saying that we've all been there, and it seldom works out very well. Marines armed with sonic blasters are expensive and fragile.. Using them is like trying to play Tau without the range advantage, fish of fury tactic and with even less room for error.

In other words, by all means take ranged units, but they have to be efficient, and you have to be using them to best effect. They can't sit around duking it out in firefights with guard platoons.

The one exception is havocs with blastmasters, because the long range means they don't have the same disadvantages (It's very nice sometimes to have havocs with the ability to move as well.) However, they're not a catchall for everything. Remember to take some anti-MeQ units as well if you're going to have a significant portion of your army fighting at range.

* I disagree with Karmoon.. 6 is a nice squad size, provided you pick your battles. Slannesh armies will almost never outnumber anyone, and in the long run they're often inferior to other CC troops (berzerkers, for example, get way more CC power for the same price.) What makes noise marines great is the ability to shock most units by striking before them and using morale effects. The ideal situation is that you get a superior enemy squad into a vulnerable position, charge it with more than one squad (daemonettes are great for this) and kill most of them before they can strike back. With a warp amp nearby and a champion with daemonic visage, you can force a pretty decent morale penalty which often means you don't often get bogged down in protracted fights.

* I'm a big fan of mechanized slannesh armies.. My army is gradually acquiring more rhinos as time goes by. Rhinos cut down on your troop allowance, but as said, slannesh marines will seldom be able to win by attrition anyway, so footslogging over the board can be very dangerous. Transports are really great for ensuring you can outmaneuver the enemy, which is very important when it comes to picking your battles. Rhinos also allow you to mount warp amps (I wouldn't do it on all of them, just enough to ensure there's always a warp amp around when you need one) which really assist the above shock strategy.

Of course, infiltration works too.. But tends to be more short lived in its effects (although experienced players tend to go for the transports early on.)

In short, I think Slannesh are a more surgical army.. You have to focus on picking the enemy force apart rather than trying to overwhelm it or wear it down with attrition. Plague marines are probably more forgiving, but don't have the same ability to efficiently destroy isolated units with very few casualties. Then again, as people have said, you can always take them both and get the best of both worlds..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast